Night and latitude situations for 2HOT Thermometer

I think it would be interesting to add diferent situations for different latitudes and times of the day for the thermometer experiment.

Temperatures in Mars change drastically from pole to equator and night to day, that should be apllied to Duna too (specially to latitudes, just look at the poles of Duna, they're full of ice).

I've just landed a probe in Duna, i used the 2HOT Thermometer to log the temperature, transmitted it and got the science.

I was taking some screenshots during the dunian night and i had this idea, i tested it and got 0 science. Honestly, i was a bit disappointed.

So, what do you guys think?

Btw, here is one of the screenshots it took:

DiVNUwu.png

Makes perfect sense to me.

If you want to study an environment then you do numerous tests in varying conditions.   So getting extra science for doing the same experiment in the same place, but at different times of day makes perfect sense.

Maybe four time bands would be sensible from a game play perspective - day and night (obviously) and then dawn (defined by when the sun starts to appear on the horizon until it is fully visible) and dusk (defined  by when the sun first touches the horizon to when it's fully obscured).  Dawn and dusk could be worth more in proportion of how short the 'window' is.  Midnight and midday could be Included too, but they could be harder to identify in game.

Currently I think the temperature only varies with atmospheric altitude. In space, you get SCIENCE!!! for certain different situations, but it only displays **IN VACUUM!** While it is technically impossible to measure the temperature of nothing, the solar radiation should heat up the thermometer by a certain amount. This might require the thermometer to recognize when it is in shadow, but that shouldn't be too hard as the solar panels already do this. I agree that it would be much more realistic to have different temperatures based on time of day and latitude. In real life, the temperature on the Moon can be upwards of 100 degrees during the day, and below -170 degrees at night due to the lack of atmosphere to regulate temperatures globally. On Mars I expect it has a similar effect because there's not much atmosphere to transfer heat. 

I would think it would be cool if you got science earned no matter where and what as long as it is different.Like Every 1 cubed KM you get a different result. and every 10 in game minutes you get a different result per cube

This is indeed a must. even Kerbals wouldn't build a thermometer that can tell the temperature. What we have now is more a meteorology department guess at what the temperature should be.

There should also be a data logger part that continuously records the data of attached science parts.

As @mattinoz hints at above.  An ongoing recorder that automatically takes readings every so often and stores them so a player can study the readings (if they really want to) could be a useful feature for getting data about how efficient solar panels etc may be.

Though it could sent data back to Kerbin for science points over a period of time to simulate the accumulation and evaluation of data for longer term experiments. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.