No Shirt, No CHUTE, No problem

Mission: Survive re-entry and landing without a parachute, without an engine, and without lift (wings, etc.).

How to win: If your kerbal is still alive and at rest on the surface, you've done it.

Main Goal: get a kerbal back to surface alive.

extraGoal1: Start by launching your craft into low kerbin orbit (this is harder than it sounds if you plan to leverage terminal velocity on your way back in).  

extraGoal2: Land a capsule this way (with a kerbal inside it).

extraGoal3: Land without destruction of parts.

Rules: stock parts.  yes, you may use EVA jets.  yes, you may ski down the side of a mountain.  Will consider parts with fins (lift parts) if you can argue they are not gliders.  NO GLIDERS.

Working example:

http://imgur.com/BObWM0T

Badge for badgers:

http://imgur.com/FH1yMxT

Has this been done before?  In searching the challenge for terminal velocity I found no similar challenges.

This challenge was inspired by ihtoit's skydive challenge.

36 minutes ago, Nich said:

How do you deorbit without engines?

Can you have body lift?

Adjust your flight path to deorbit using engines, then separate from the craft with your engines before re-entry.  Or don't separate- it doesn't matter that the engines are there; you just cannot use them (and they weigh you down, which makes your terminal velocity higher if that's your landing strategy).  

Note: you are not required to prove that you didn't use an engine or a parachute- this is the honor system.  

3 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

Rules: stock parts.  yes, you may use EVA jets.  yes, you may ski down the side of a mountain.

ooo reentry mountain skiing! New post extreme sport! :P

Edited by max_creative
Shortening the post (just noticed 200th post)

9 minutes ago, dunebugmi said:

Extra points if you get out and push!

:) you should probably say no major clipping (just small stuff) or you can just make a basically indestructible roll cage. And no debug.

Are you allowed to use air brakes? Shadow zone did a drop pod with them and the terminal velocity without firing the retros was like 50m/s.

edit: please say yes! Otherwise there goes the flying pine cone. (Don't ask what I'm making after school)

Edited by max_creative
Added stuff

23 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

Mission: Survive re-entry and landing without a parachute, without an engine, and without lift (wings, etc.).

How to win: If your kerbal is still alive and at rest on the surface, you've done it.

Main Goal: get a kerbal back to surface alive.

extraGoal1: Start by launching your craft into low kerbin orbit (this is harder than it sounds if you plan to leverage terminal velocity on your way back in).  

extraGoal2: Land a capsule this way (with a kerbal inside it).

extraGoal3: Land without destruction of parts.

Rules: stock parts.  yes, you may use EVA jets.  yes, you may ski down the side of a mountain.  Will consider parts with fins (lift parts) if you can argue they are not gliders.  NO GLIDERS.

Working example:

http://imgur.com/BObWM0T

Badge for badgers:

http://imgur.com/FH1yMxT

Has this been done before?  In searching the challenge for terminal velocity I found no similar challenges.

This challenge was inspired by ihtoit's skydive challenge.

BTDT, I've completed a successful drag-based llithobrake a Duna, so my contraption should work on Kerbin.

So I made a lithobrake that was able to withstand up to 110 m/s at KSA but coming out of orbit it was always breaking.  So I made a body lift lander (feels kind of cheaty).

On 3/18/2016 at 2:35 PM, max_creative said:

:) you should probably say no major clipping (just small stuff) or you can just make a basically indestructible roll cage. And no debug.

Are you allowed to use air brakes? Shadow zone did a drop pod with them and the terminal velocity without firing the retros was like 50m/s.

edit: please say yes! Otherwise there goes the flying pine cone. (Don't ask what I'm making after school)

I'm curious about the indestructible rollcage.  The highest crash tolerance I've seen is 80m/s and those parts are heavy and have little drag.  So before I disallow it, I'd like to see it in action and know more about it.

Air brakes technically add lift, according to the VAB center of lift ball.  So, they fit into the "parts with fins" category.  They're allowed, but with suspicion.

4 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Is it valid if it has crew capacity but no actual kerbals, assuming the cabin survives? If yes, I have my entry. If not, I'll need to tweak/redo it.

Allowed but discouraged.

4 hours ago, theend3r said:

Impact at 280 m/s. Jeb was ejected out of a large ball of fire during the landing but didn't break a sweat because he's a Kerbal with large, metal ball(s).

Awesome!  This reminds me of an egg-drop experiment I did when I was younger.

Is it repeatable/reliable?  Does it work every time?

5 hours ago, Nich said:

So I made a lithobrake that was able to withstand up to 110 m/s at KSA but coming out of orbit it was always breaking.  So I made a body lift lander (feels kind of cheaty).

That looks like a glider, but thanks for the entry. I'm grateful to have seen it and learned that it is possible.

Edited by dunebugmi
new thought

3 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

Is it repeatable/reliable?  Does it work every time?

Well... I don't know. Jeb managed to survive on his first try but it was probably more because of luck than awesome design.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.