Minmus Base Screwup

Generic

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Luckily the jetpacks have enough DV to get you into freakin' ORBIT on Minmus. Reaching the door of the lander shouldn't be that big of a deal :)

But ladders are more realistic :P it feels more authentic.

41 minutes ago, Generic said:

Well, okay then, don't go to orbit if it feels overpowered (I kinda agree with you, there).  But seriously, the gravity on Minmus is so low that it doesn't seem unreasonable that you can fly there.

If you don't want to use an EVA pack, just jump; a kerbal jumping on Minmus can easily go higher than that lander.

The silhouette is so dark that it's hard for me to tell, but is that big cylindrical part on the bottom a hitchhiker module?  If that's the case, just retract the landing gear so you settle down on the surface, then Val can just walk up to the lander and climb into the hatch.

Or retract the landing gear, use the reaction torque from the cupola to tip your whole craft over and bring the cupola hatch down within easy reach of Val.  Then board, and use the torque to turn right-side-up again.

There.  There's four different solutions to the problem, any one of which would work.  Will that do?  :)

And if even jetpacks and jumping feels too inauthentic for you, then try and get up there by scrambling.  Go up to a landing leg and let Val indulge her Assassin's Creed fantasy in the low gravity by scaling the side of the base module.  

Since this is a core I suspect you will send more modules? If so before doing it check for mods KIS and KAS those will allow your engineer to fix, replace and put new parts on EVA. So when you send next module you could send one engineer with spare parts. Plus those mods will help with base buildings etc.

1 hour ago, Generic said:

I agree with you. It feels inauthentic to have a lander or base with a high hatch that doesn't have a ladder. However, if you were Valentina, what would you do? Think "The Martian" or Apollo 13. Improvise and adapt to make it home.

Edited by Xavven

You can pretend they form a human  kerbal chain to hoist the bottom one into the station.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! THE KERMAN BROTHERS ARE GOING TO PERFORM A DANGEROUS STUNT NEVER PERFORMED BEFORE!

Edited by Kerbart

5 hours ago, seaces said:

Since this is a core I suspect you will send more modules? If so before doing it check for mods KIS and KAS those will allow your engineer to fix, replace and put new parts on EVA. So when you send next module you could send one engineer with spare parts. Plus those mods will help with base buildings etc.

Speaking of being unrealistic. Pretty sure Apollo 13 didn't have such luxuries except what they could cannibalize.

Whilst I get the OPs point about it 'not feeling right' not using a ladder, I don't see what's unrealistic about the low gravity on any astronomical body (Minmus in this case) allowing a guy or gal with a suitably powerful jet pack to 'fly'.  It's no different in principle to a rocket being able to lift off from KSC.

48 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Whilst I get the OPs point about it 'not feeling right' not using a ladder, I don't see what's unrealistic about the low gravity on any astronomical body (Minmus in this case) allowing a guy or gal with a suitably powerful jet pack to 'fly'.  It's no different in principle to a rocket being able to lift off from KSC.

If EVA monoprop cannot be refilled for free...

30 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

If EVA monoprop cannot be refilled for free...

Agreed, that is a bit unrealistic, but you still have to be able to get to a capsule to refill it.  No matter how much fuel you carry if you run out of gas before  you get to the gas station you still aren't going to get there under your own steam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.