GameModHub Dev Log [ALTERNATIVE to Kerbalstuff.com,Spacedock.info,and all other modding websites]

GGKSPMC

1 minute ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

Or just doesn't know all that much about US copyright law. Knowing the American education system, that's probably the case.

Just sayin.'

Yeah :wink:

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Right, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. What concerned me was the possibility that the stickers site owned the image, and some random user saw it on there and uploaded it to OpenClipArt without permission. That looks unlikely now given the dates.

I was going to say that. I'm not sure exactly how copyright law handles that, and my laptop is about to die. Anyway. Good luck, GGKSPMC.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Right, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. What concerned me was the possibility that the stickers site owned the image, and some random user saw it on there and uploaded it to OpenClipArt without permission. That looks unlikely now given the dates.

I always use google Image search before I use any open source images to see the creator of the image :) 

Just now, Hobbes Novakoff said:

I was going to say that. I'm not sure exactly how copyright law handles that, and my laptop is about to die. Anyway. Good luck, GGKSPMC.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, GGKSPMC said:

I guess my teacher is strict then :)

9 hours ago, GGKSPMC said:

Yeah :wink:

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME STRICT

YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE!

I'm sorry i had to...:)

Edited by Atlas2342

On 4/4/2016 at 5:26 PM, Hobbes Novakoff said:

The funny thing is, in most cases you'd be in the clear there. 17 USC § 107 notes that fair use (e. g. not making it a major part of the project or a central feature) for purposes such as teaching is generally okay, especially non-profit educational purposes. (However, academic principles such as avoiding plagiarism still apply.) (I'm working on a school project incorporating a ton of images right now and know a bit about copyright from following events on YouTube. Still not a lawyer though.)

I'm not a lawyer either, but “Fair Use” seems to be the most misquoted part of copyright law and people think that it’s “Fair Use” far more often than it really is. Copying “just a part” doesn't make it fair use, for instance. Or that “education” or “news gathering” in the widest sense of the word provide fair use protection; they do not.

Example 1: Street photographer Henri Cartier-Kerman takes a picture of the KSC while it's on fire. He posts the image on his blog. The Daily Kerbal writes an article about the KSC fire, and uses Henri's image without his permission. Hey, it's news. Fair Use applies, right? Wrong! For Fair Use to apply, the article needs to be about the image. TDK will need to pay Henri whatever his going rates are (or, if he doesn't have, whatever the court assumes reasonable rates). If Henri also (not a requirement to start a copyright case in the first place, mind you) registered the image with the US Copyright office before the newspaper published it, he can also claim damages (which, unlike the restitution of the rates, are not “reasonable”)

Example 2: Another newspaper, The Kerbal Times, has an article on the content-theft that their competitor TDK committed. In a side bar to the article, the Times places a print of the offending picture (with a caption, but this is irrelevant to the case, of Henri's picture that the Daily Kerbal printed without permission). Smelling money, Henri takes the Times to court as well. Once again, Fair Use is claimed. Is it? Yes! Because this time, the news is about the image.

The Fair Use clause is created because certain normal things would become impossible. A teacher would not be able to illustrate a lesson with a copy of some newspaper clippings about a recent event, newspapers cannot report if every image that contains copyrighted material (say, a picture of a traffic accident contains a billboard, a leaked memo from a politician, etc) cannot be published.

But it’s not intended, nor interpreted by the courts, as a license to copy anything you want as long as you claim "newsgathering" or "education". A math teacher cannot copy two pages of exercises of some math textbook to be used in his own handouts (just because it happens a lot doesn't make it fair use). However, an arts teacher can copy those same two pages of exercises and use them in a handout to illustrate how scientific typesetting has changed since the last 50 years—you're no longer copying the exercises themselves, but merely using them as an illustration.

Commercial intent is not a factor in copyright cases, and “I'm not using it commercially” is not a defense (if you think it is, google "Jammie Thomas"). Using copyrighted material on a website is playing Russian roulette in regards to how far the copyright holder is willing to go. In most cases not very far and you'll be just fine. But you are rolling the dice and if you run into the one litigation-happy content creator who happens to be trigger-happy you'll be up that creek without a paddle (also: US copyright is covered by federal law, making every copyright case a federal case. They tend to require expensive lawyers).

Edited by Kerbart

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Using copyrighted material on a website is playing Russian roulette in regards to how far the copyright holder is willing to go.

I'm not endorsing use on a website. However, for a school project, it should be fine. Here's the entry in the rulebook of the contest I mentioned:

FAIR USE: The use of copyrighted material for your project falls under the Fair Use doctrine, which intends educational use for non-commercial purposes as acceptable with certain limitations. You should not place your project in a non-academic public setting, such as a commercial Internet site, without obtaining permission from the copyright owner. 

This is a national competition, I assume they know what they're talking about.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

1 hour ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

I'm not endorsing use on a website. However, for a school project, it should be fine. Here's the entry in the rulebook of the contest I mentioned:

FAIR USE: The use of copyrighted material for your project falls under the Fair Use doctrine, which intends educational use for non-commercial purposes as acceptable with certain limitations. You should not place your project in a non-academic public setting, such as a commercial Internet site, without obtaining permission from the copyright owner. 

This is a national competition, I assume they know what they're talking about.

I don't own a news/review website :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Should I use MySQL databases or PHP arrays?  Probably MySQL databases... just hopefully no SQL injection :).

Update:  Now, I just took out all of the ScrollMagic stuff and made the title have a fixed position.  It works perfect!

Edited by GGKSPMC

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Some content has been removed, due to various folks "necromoaning" (complaining about someone else reviving a long-dormant thread).  Folks, please don't do that.  You're not a moderator, it's not your place to enforce rules, and necromoaning is especially frowned upon (forum rule 2.4.b).  If you've got a concern about something, by all means report the post and the moderators will have a look-- but beyond that, it's not your place to tell other people what to do or not to do.

That said:  The project associated with this thread appears to be long dead, per the edit to the OP.  Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.

Thank you for your understanding.