GameModHub Dev Log [ALTERNATIVE to Kerbalstuff.com,Spacedock.info,and all other modding websites]

GGKSPMC

Sorry everybody, but this project is lost (My computer's harddrive broke, and I didn't store this on cloud :( )

Hello everybody.  GGKSPMC here.  Have you ever been annoyed by CurseForge, or just can't find the right place to upload all of your mods?  Well, I am developing a AWESOME alternative to all of those modding websites.  This modding website is going to be called GameModHub.  Here is a GIF of GameModHub:

EsFg5w6.gifv or at http://i.imgur.com/EsFg5w6.gifv [fileSize is 2mb, so sometimes the browser will say 404 :D

You guys may be worried that GameModHub will end up like kerbalspaceprogram.com.  Well, I will have high paying advertisements and premium accounts kind of like reddit or Curse, except that I will not go overboard on the ads :) because everyone hates ads!  The maximum mod file size will be 500MB without a premium account, and 1gb with a premium account.  I hope everyone is excited for GameModHub, because I AM!  Please do not comment on things like hosting and bandwith because I have already dealt with all of that :D.  Below is my development checklist

BOLD: Not worked on yet, most will be worked on when the website is online [IM USING MAMP] Italic: Being worked on, beta feature Strikethrough: Finished Underlined: Never gonna happen until the website gets 2000000 users.

• HTML
  • CSS
  • JAVASCRIPT
  • Most images
  • Server side code
  • PHP
  • AJAX
  • Uploading mods
  • Virus detecting (Will need moderators to test the mods for viruses)
  • ADS (not a bloody ton of ads. just one ad per page, what other way will I get close to enough money to run a modding website?)
  • Usernames
  • Premium
  • Comments
  • Forums
  • Blogs
  • Wikis
  • Server list

Please suggest more features for this website!

Please also do not troll anyone on this post, and please be motivational!

UPDATE LOGS:

ALPHA 1:

Nice design/style :D

ALL CSS/HTML worked on

Currently Working On:

Html/Css [because I need to make it even better]

MORE RESPONSIVE JAVASCRIPT!!!

Reducing file size

SOON I WILL BE DONE WITH BLODDY PHP

GameModHub Badges for badgers [PLEASE PUT INTO YOUR FORUM SIGNATURES!!! THANKS!]:

User:

R4LzySL.png

Edited by GGKSPMC
darn harddrive

Ello, Thomas told me about this thread.

Spacedock is almost as bad as Curse! - This could be reworded as "Spacedock is better than curse" :D

But anyway, I wish you luck - I'm more into backend stuff rather than frontend stuff, so I can't complain about the design too much, other people will do that for you.

Do note that you're probably vastly underestimating how much traffic a modding site will need if you end up being the primary one - we push a few hundred GB a day.

On 3/21/2016 at 0:17 PM, Thomas P. said:

If you would be in #spacedock, you'd know better

And why? Why develop something completely new if there is already code that could be improved? There are a lot of bored programmers (including me) in #spacedock. Comparisons without resons are effectively junk, because neither Curse nor SpaceDock are bad, they just have a different way of doing things that some persons would expect. Also: Have you ever looked at the curse hate threads? Let me quote some: (Warning, there might be some sarcasm :P) "Curse has ads!" "Curse has ads!" "Curse has so much ads that I will die from looking at it!". And now let me quote your OP: "ADS" (hey, its even big and bold!). Do you see what I mean? :P

Also: Sorry, but your "design" looks like my ramblings with Paint when I was four. Just my two cents.

Why develop something completely new? Because I don't want to run into copyright infringments and because it is fun to make something new!  The design is actually a html file!  But when I say I will have ads, I mean one tiny banner ad on the top, not a banner ad on every page break and 2 sidebar ads xD

On 3/21/2016 at 0:22 PM, godarklight said:

Ello, Thomas told me about this thread.

Spacedock is almost as bad as Curse! - This could be reworded as "Spacedock is better than curse" :D

But anyway, I wish you luck - I'm more into backend stuff rather than frontend stuff, so I can't complain about the design too much, other people will do that for you.

Do note that you're probably vastly underestimating how much traffic a modding site will need if you end up being the primary one - we push a few hundred GB a day.

thanks a lot.  I changed the background to stars.  My website is kind of not really competition as I will be hosting mods for all games, not just KSP.  I do not mean Spacedock is bad in any way.  It just has a kinda annoying design and is very slow.  What is your host?

4 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Sorry, you said that you will get high paying ads. Either you have a lot of ads like curse, or you don't get a lot of money from them. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. And Spacedocks code is under MIT, so as long as you credit us and SirCmpwn, you can use it (Even though contributing to it directly would be cooler :D ) :) Theres even a running fork of it, http://modulous.net/
Don't get me wrong, I like it when people start new projects, but to be honest this seems a little bit out of the blue for me. ;) (That does not mean that you are unable to produce sth. good! It means that there are some flaws that can be eliminated). For instance, your host offers drives upt to 1,5 TB. If I were you, I would not allow anybody to upload 1GB to that, unless you want to build a CDN, because a very popular site won't be able to handle that easily. ;)

Well, thanks for the advice.  The less ads, the more the advertisers pay, though.

1 hour ago, GGKSPMC said:

The maximum mod file size will be 500MB without a premium account, and 1gb with a premium account.

Will the premium fee be paid by the uploader or the downloader?

9 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Sorry, you said that you will get high paying ads. Either you have a lot of ads like curse, or you don't get a lot of money from them. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. 

What's a typical rate? I saw someone estimate $1 per 1000 views; is that reasonable?

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Kinda hard to explain, but there will only be one premium fee: $30/month, and the downloader will have faster downloads with premium while the uploader will have faster uploads and a 1gb upload limit with premium.

10 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

What's a typical rate? I saw someone estimate $1 per 1000 views; is that reasonable?

Well, you have a point :(

Just now, GGKSPMC said:

Well, you have a point :(

Maybe, maybe not. Assuming that rate to be valid for the sake of argument, plus previous estimates for monthly bandwidth usage and the listings on your hosting service, your break-even point should be around 75 MB per ad view. I think most mods are smaller than that (and would make you money), though many are not (and would lose you money).

14 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Well, 1$ per 1000 views is pretty good, but the problem is that he has to get very very popular in order to be able to pay the server he needs just with the ads (lets be honest, noone will pay for a premium account on a *unknown* site)

14 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Maybe, maybe not. Assuming that rate to be valid for the sake of argument, plus previous estimates for monthly bandwidth usage and the listings on your hosting service, your break-even point should be around 75 MB per ad view. I think most mods are smaller than that (and would make you money), though many are not (and would lose you money).

ok

Hi

may i give my 2 cents too?

Disclamer if needed:

Spoiler

im doing Websites since Websites exist. I studyed computer sience with media sience and it infrastructure acritecture and i worked for a bunch of major it and game companies

I know how it feels when you try to build something and people tell you its not worth the effort. My general advice is: prove them wrong.

In fact doing it better than the "established" services is a must to gain any footing.

BUT i doubt you can compeate with "ads free, no data abuse, no cost to the user" since you need some sort of income to sustain a site like this if you want it to be more than a hobby you sink money into...or you need sponsors (who in turn often want something in return).

My suggestion would be:

If its a Business project:

Analyze the market. Find something that hasnt been done yet and isnt saturated with sites allready. Find some experts to do it with. And lastly find the resources to do it (time, money, infrastructure, ...)

If its a hobby:

Do something that doesnt exist and you want or get involved into some existing project.

I would welcome you as spacedock dev if youre interrested.

Your idears could make it better.

If still want to do your own thing im happy to learn from you.

Spacedock isnt a commercial projects so im not fighting for market shares. Instead if someone else comes along and does a better job i will simply ride into the sunset on a solid booster ....or something like it :)

You find us on irc.esper.net #spacedock

Party on!

VITAS

4 hours ago, GGKSPMC said:

BOLD: Not worked on yet Italic: Being worked on, beta feature Strikethrough: Finished

• HTML
  • CSS
  • JAVASCRIPT
  • PHP
  • AJAX

You might want to work on the PHP/Ajax endpoints and back-end code before the front-end stuff, just saying...  I mean, it's good having your slices and general styling ready to go but you really want to know how the server is going to work before you finalize all that Javascript.

3 hours ago, regex said:

You might want to work on the PHP/Ajax endpoints and back-end code before the front-end stuff, just saying...  I mean, it's good having your slices and general styling ready to go but you really want to know how the server is going to work before you finalize all that Javascript.

You have a good point.  When I say Javascript, I mean little things like resizing and checking compatability and stuff.  

4 hours ago, VITAS said:

Hi

may i give my 2 cents too?

Disclamer if needed:

Reveal hidden contents

im doing Websites since Websites exist. I studyed computer sience with media sience and it infrastructure acritecture and i worked for a bunch of major it and game companies

I know how it feels when you try to build something and people tell you its not worth the effort. My general advice is: prove them wrong.

In fact doing it better than the "established" services is a must to gain any footing.

BUT i doubt you can compeate with "ads free, no data abuse, no cost to the user" since you need some sort of income to sustain a site like this if you want it to be more than a hobby you sink money into...or you need sponsors (who in turn often want something in return).

My suggestion would be:

If its a Business project:

Analyze the market. Find something that hasnt been done yet and isnt saturated with sites allready. Find some experts to do it with. And lastly find the resources to do it (time, money, infrastructure, ...)

If its a hobby:

Do something that doesnt exist and you want or get involved into some existing project.

I would welcome you as spacedock dev if youre interrested.

Your idears could make it better.

If still want to do your own thing im happy to learn from you.

Spacedock isnt a commercial projects so im not fighting for market shares. Instead if someone else comes along and does a better job i will simply ride into the sunset on a solid booster ....or something like it :)

You find us on irc.esper.net #spacedock

Party on!

VITAS

Thanks a lot for the support!  Posts that are so nice like this make me feel bad about competition.  This is kind of between a hobby and a job as I am just a kid.  I might make some money, but It will probably be a net worth of about $10 xD (ads: $310, hosting: $280, DARN TAXES: $20).  Good luck with space dock!  BTW people always said that I could not make video games.  Now I have made video games, but sadly none of them are deployed :D.  I love it when this is motivational.  Space dock is a good website, too.  There is already thousands of mods hosted, and more users than my youtube subscribers and reddit followers!  We really are not competitors, since GameModHub is going to host mods for all sorts of games AND I will also make a server list in the near future!  The more modding websites, the better!

Some posts have been edited or removed from this thread. Please, if you think a post is a problem, just hit the report button and let the moderators deal with it. Replying to such posts in the thread just creates off-topic clutter for others to have to click past. 

Excuse me GGKSPMC. I don't mind to sound rude or brash but, I think you should tone it down a few notches with all this. We get it you're pretty excited about your whole GameModHub project and it's rather ambitious and we all wish you luck with it. We're just asking that you calm down and just take it slow to avoid the potential for massive drama

Also if you need any help making anything for the site or a need advice on what to do, I and a lot of other fourm users are more then willing to help.

Edited by ImperatorAdeptus

I only read a few messages...... why argue?

My only negative comment is this.....

GameModHub looks like the old BBS's I used to use in the 1980's.... the design looks ancient and tired..... and I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings... its true.

I had flashbacks to my old CBM64 days.....

The fact is, writing on a background of stars is, today, unprofessional. Look at all the other modern sites and try to be like them....

Anyhow, if your site improves, then I'll give it a try and report back.... FYI, I have my owner server and I am a web host manager... I was toying of the idea of hosting mods... I still might, but I'd go for the niche market.... I wont say any more lest you steal my ideas..... :)

Oh, wow. I strongly encourage a redesign with a cleaner, smoother interface. Users are far more likely to feel like paying for a premium account when a site looks like it is professionally run. Today, that means either high quality professional artwork, or a minimalistic, simple design ethos. A small colour palette, and text and background colour combinations that are easy on the eyes are the thing you are looking for. Also, a consistent look between screens is important.

and getting moderators to test mods for a virus is so..... old fashioned....

The modern way to do it is, once a person uploads a mod, to have the site send it to somewhere like...

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

and check it.... based on the result, its either accepted into the mysql database, or its not.... and I noticed you don't mention if you will be using mysql or not...

So seriously, again, as has been stated by someone else, I have to wonder how old you are.... and I also have to wonder just how proficient you are at website coding...

No one uses HTML on a PHP website, in fact, provided you secure your coding, the ONLY preferred method to create a website is with PHP, utilising MySql ... and some java etc etc...

At a bare minimum.... you would be better off using WORDPRESS to host mods.... and at best.... a self written PHP site.... minimalistic is what people like... people with bad eyes, me for example, hate clutter on a site and things flashing etc or to be overwhelmed by content which distracts from what I am after...

if you intend to make money from advertising, don't count it.... most of us clever people use ad blockers... adverts are clutter that distract you from what you are after... that means that people will use your site and NEVER see an advert and you will NEVER get paid for it.... ad blockers are a fact of life these days...

I'm guessing, based on your advance shots of the site, the coding results AND the super hype from you.... you are between thirteen and seventeen years of age...

If you think I am scum for saying this... then listen up, I'm being brutally honest here to save you a lot of grief down the line... people can be super nice on a forums like this but they are unforgiving... you screw with them over money or wasting their time... then they will attack you and rip you to shreds like a tribe of rabid attack dogs.... I have seen a few people bite off more than they can chew and regretted the entire venture... Hype will get you so far, but if you cannot deliver on that hype... then you are going to suffer...

FYI, That is why I never started my KSP mod hosting site... sure, I know PHP coding, I have a server, I run websites, I host websites.... but my health is such that I might be forced to close it down a month after I start that.... and I'm old enough (56 in July) to know that there *WILL* be super annoyed and angry people..... so, I won't bother... I advise you to think long and hard before going any further with this...

FYI, its the same way with some modders.... they write a mod for KSP and regret it when people get mad over bugs, expect you to drop everything (like your life, wife and children) and get a version out ASAP like yesterday ...... They are impatient and not prepared to wait,... they think they OWN the modder and the modder OWES them because they use their mod....

Is that what you want....

Funny thing is.... I'm trying to help you not make a major mistake.... its why I'm being brutally honest.

Edited by kiwi1960

EDIT: Having said all that, if you are still serious about going ahead, then the community will help, someone has offered to help, and so will I.

BUT only if you really are serious.....

4 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

No one uses HTML on a PHP website, in fact, provided you secure your coding, the ONLY preferred method to create a website is with PHP, utilising MySql ... and some java etc etc...

Uh...  The whole point of writing a PHP backend is to generate HTML.  And people use languages other than PHP and databases other than MySQL to serve pages that are often times more secure than a PHP-based site.