Look beyond the first page

JebKeb

I'm sorry if I sound whiny, but there's no perfect way of conveying this. This post is not supposed to stir up people; it's just a question.

Why don't I get many replies? There are plenty of modding wizards and no-one ever seems to reply. I don't post often because I don't get any help, so the mod can't progress and posting is useless. I don't like posting just to keep the thread near the top of the forum with useless filler and I don't. But it seems that otherwise the mod sinks away and never gets noticed.

I don't want to write this post, but it also might help other small modders who got swamped and therefore never received help. This is a forum, a place for answering questions as well as discussing. So, please reply if you have an opinion, and don't let this thread sink too. Look beyond the first page.

-JebKeb

2 minutes ago, JebKeb said:

I'm sorry if I sound whiny, but there's no perfect way of conveying this. This post is not supposed to stir up people; it's just a question.

Why don't I get many replies? There are plenty of modding wizards and no-one ever seems to reply. I don't post often because I don't get any help, so the mod can't progress and posting is useless. I don't like posting just to keep the thread near the top of the forum with useless filler and I don't. But it seems that otherwise the mod sinks away and never gets noticed.

I don't want to write this post, but it also might help other small modders who got swamped and therefore never received help. This is a forum, a place for answering questions as well as discussing. So, please reply if you have an opinion, and don't let this thread sink too. Look beyond the first page.

-JebKeb

Yeah, I agree. I think this should go in the Kerbal Network subfroum.

My parts pack isn't getting too much attention. I'm not sure if it's just something the community isn't interested or if it's just not finished enough. I'm thinking about just waiting until I've got a bunch of content and move it on over to the Addon Releases subforum. Me finding reason to shamefully bump my post.

I feel your pain JebKeb.

I've found planet modding in KSP a challenge as well.  The documentation is sparse especially for a beginner.  I suggest familiarizing yourself with GItHub.

I checked out your Proksolar addon.  You jumped right into the deep end :D.  I recommend starting out simply with an atmosphere-less moon or planet.  Learn one thing at a time.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

I've had a fair bit of experience with Kopernicus - this is just the first documented mod I'm making. Proksolar was an ancient idea from mid 2015 that never really got anywhere until now.

I'll check out your part pack Sequinox. By the look of your signiature it looks like an interesting mod.

You need a PR manager.... I seem to recall finding out that this Forum can be used as a blog... maybe you need to do some blogging and then link to it via your signatures.... or go set up a blog at wordpress... But ... @JebKeb  what are you expecting? You want to be a part of this community but you only have 17 posts.... POST, get known.... I'm not a modder or hell, right now, thanks to my bad hip, I'm not even a KSP player right now.... BUT I POST!!!!!

You want the fame and glory.... then you have to sell yourself. (not in that way, either....)

Edited by kiwi1960

Set up a signature with a link to your parts pack... then post like mad, NOT crap, but good posts, get known, find out what people want in the way of mods...

I'd love to see your mod but hell.... you don't even advertise it....

anyhow, Good luck, glad I was able to help. Nice to know that at 55 with a bad hip, someone still finds a use for me. :)

EDIT: Love the HHGTTG reference as well. :)

Edited by kiwi1960

15 minutes ago, JebKeb said:

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

I've had a fair bit of experience with Kopernicus - this is just the first documented mod I'm making. Proksolar was an ancient idea from mid 2015 that never really got anywhere until now.

Well In that case,  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

11 hours ago, JebKeb said:

I'll check out your part pack Sequinox. By the look of your signiature it looks like an interesting mod.

Thanks! ;) A lot of credit should go to @Joco223, he does the modelling and texturing.

Currently we're under a slight pause because I've been pretty caught up with IRL stuff. We'll be continuing development shortly.

11 hours ago, JebKeb said:

See? This thread is in the first page and posts are appearing fast.

I'll do the signiature thingy.

It was my observation that posts are rare unless someone has a question, request, or something is wrong. There are "thank you" posts every now and then but they are few and far between.

i asked xkcd for a random answer to your matter JebKeb:

this is the result:

canyon_small.jpg

it's just now, not yesterday not tommorow ; )

(((((( oh another what that shadowy place over there  meme ? again ? rlly ? xDr claw where is claw )))))))

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

23 hours ago, Sequinox said:

My parts pack isn't getting too much attention. I'm not sure if it's just something the community isn't interested or if it's just not finished enough. I'm thinking about just waiting until I've got a bunch of content and move it on over to the Addon Releases subforum. 

I'm fine with my mod getting no attention after it's released, but during development if people only care if it has stuff that's a problem, because the reason the mod is slow is because there is no help.

Why do sigs only show up when you're logged in? Is it a bug?

Oh dear, I can already imagine it.

IT'S A BUG! pew pew

Edited by JebKeb

Just now, JebKeb said:

-JebKeb

EDIT: Snip, I didn't realize that you already did that, although another note, make it into a link so people can click and it brings them to the page rather than having them search for it :)

Edited by Spaceception

Something that helped me get into the forums was that I picked a primary forum to reply to. From there, I branched out to more of it now that I had a base of forum goers that I know. I still don't always get answers to my questions, but making meaningful posts and threads will carry a lot of weight, and try to be as diplomatic as possible :wink:

Rather than asking questions of other people in your mod's development thread, I would suggest posting a separate thread asking the question in the appropriate sub-forum of the Add-on Development forum (either "Modelling and Texturing Discussion" if about that or "Plugin Development Help and Support" if about that).  If it is more a Kopernicus (or other mod) related question then that mod's thread is probably the best place.

6 hours ago, Padishar said:

Rather than asking questions of other people in your mod's development thread, I would suggest posting a separate thread asking the question in the appropriate sub-forum of the Add-on Development forum (either "Modelling and Texturing Discussion" if about that or "Plugin Development Help and Support" if about that).  If it is more a Kopernicus (or other mod) related question then that mod's thread is probably the best place.

I tried that once and got no response. I might try again.

Also, I'm going to be gone until the 28th, so see you soon.

18 hours ago, JebKeb said:

I'm fine with my mod getting no attention after it's released, but during development if people only care if it has stuff that's a problem, because the reason the mod is slow is because there is no help.

Why do sigs only show up when you're logged in? Is it a bug?

Oh dear, I can already imagine it.

IT'S A BUG! pew pew

You should turn it into a LINK..... that way, I can click on it and be transported to your mod thread, ain't no way I'm going to search it out.... I'm far to lazy..... :(

I mean, a link in your signature.... its got to be easier than what you have, I'm still lazy....

Edited by kiwi1960

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.