W.I.P Larinax Solar System v0.0.4.0

RA3236

Larinax Solar System

About:

Larinax Solar System is the first (AFAIK) planet pack to include a developing protostar system. It is currently WIP and contains Larinax, the main star, and Laephus, a terrestrial planet.

The pack plans:

Terrestrial Planet 1: a Moho-like planet that is melted

Terrestrial Planet 2: an atmosphere-less Venus-like planet that is hotter and redder

Laephus: A planet that will soon be in the habitable zone but is too hot now, and it's companion moon that will be similar with oceans

The rest: TBD

Images: (I play the game on low texture resolution, so don't mind the parts)

Download: SpaceDock

Github Repository (do not use this for the mod)

Installation: Download and install Kopernicus first, and then move the Larinax solar system folder from the zip file into the GameData folder.

Source Code: 

I gonna go ahead and say there isn't much point of having source code if the mod is just cfgs, maybe later I'll add a better way of tracking changes and such.

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Credits:

@eloquentJane for their suggestion that this pack is based on

@The White Guardian for PQS help

@KillAshley for the atmospheric calculator that The White Guardian suggested

Edited by RA3236
Op reconstruction

You said to put suggestions in this forum. Well, when you mentioned that this star system "will have" more planets, I know you meant that it's in development, but it made me think of young star systems which have stuff like proto-planetary discs and those colossal gas planets that are half way to forming into another star to turn the whole thing into a binary system. I don't know your plans for this system of course, but seeing as a young star system is something which I don't think has been made in a mod yet, I figure it might be something to think about as a point of unique-ness for the mod. Either way though, I look forward to seeing future developments, planet mods always end up being pretty incredible.

28 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

You said to put suggestions in this forum. Well, when you mentioned that this star system "will have" more planets, I know you meant that it's in development, but it made me think of young star systems which have stuff like proto-planetary discs and those colossal gas planets that are half way to forming into another star to turn the whole thing into a binary system. I don't know your plans for this system of course, but seeing as a young star system is something which I don't think has been made in a mod yet, I figure it might be something to think about as a point of unique-ness for the mod. Either way though, I look forward to seeing future developments, planet mods always end up being pretty incredible.

Dude... (sorry if you're not) Excellent idea!!!

Edited by RA3236
slight change...

PROGRESS UPDATE:

The plan for version 0.0.2: (should be released by the end of the day)

• Redo Laephus entirely
  • Add multiple asteroid belts to support the protostar
  • The atmosphere will not be revamped, not until better key points are made
  • Re-Re-Re-Re do the scaled space on Laephus.

Please note this is only a slight change to what my new planet pack will look like, thank you @eloquentJane for your fantastic suggestion.

I'd like it if you made it so that Larinax was moving faster relative to kerbol, to give a higher delta-v requirment to get there. By making the eccentricity over 1 and the semi-major axis go negative you can put Larinax on an escape trajectory and increase it's speed above escape velocity (and yes I have tested it, it does work as the SOI is calculated based on the altitude at periapsis). I haven't seen any other star mods do this and I think it would be cool and realistic 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_kinematics.

14 minutes ago, torchard96 said:

I'd like it if you made it so that Larinax was moving faster relative to kerbol, to give a higher delta-v requirment to get there. By making the eccentricity over 1 and the semi-major axis go negative you can put Larinax on an escape trajectory and increase it's speed above escape velocity (and yes I have tested it, it does work as the SOI is calculated based on the altitude at periapsis). I haven't seen any other star mods do this and I think it would be cool and realistic 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_kinematics.

I have thought of this, and the only possible way to do it without breaking the game is to make GalacticNeighborhood a dependency. (AKA put it in orbit of the centre.) It allready takes ~4000 Dv to get to Laephus from Kerbin (and as a matter of fact it wouldn't make much difference, most stars that are moving away from the Sun are doing so at a km/s, and that won't change the dv because of Larinax's huge gravity well). And yes, the real life high velocity stars are speedy, but if you may notice a launch to those velocities will almost certainly destroy the planetary system.

@Spaceception Since @eloquentJane's suggestion the only thing I've been able to do is rework Laephus. The description of Laephus may no longer be right, meaning there might not be a total of a planets, but certainly there will be a few lava worlds and possibly a binary gas giant system :D

I can't wait to see how this mod develops, and I'm honoured that you liked my idea about the protostar enough to make those sorts of changes. I probably won't use the pack until I've attempted my Jool 500 challenge but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, eloquentJane said:

I can't wait to see how this mod develops, and I'm honoured that you liked my idea about the protostar enough to make those sorts of changes. I probably won't use the pack until I've attempted my Jool 500 challenge but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

*takes a minute yelling at my iPad 

Jool 500 sounds very interesting and difficult. Pity my computer won't like me even in 1.1.

13 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

Does this change the graphics? From what I see in the pictures, the Mk.1-2 Command Pod looks pixelated and blurry. Is that because of something else, or is it a side effect of this mod?

In order to play the game my textures are low res. The mod does not change that though.

Matter of fact I'll put that in the description.

Edited by RA3236

7 hours ago, daniel l. said:

If your making a protostar then it has to be "Fluffy" give it a massive ring system and surround it in particles.

I'll be working on that once Laephus and its moon is completed. I don't know about the particles, to me they look wrong in a star situation.

7 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

I'll be working on that once Laephus and its moon is completed. I don't know about the particles, to me they look wrong in a star situation.

A protostar is essentially a superhot nebula with a dense core.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.