Post WW2 RAF Replica repository

So, I have been doing a lot of big, complicated and overly laggy replicas. This time i Wanted to make something a little more simple and fun to fly.

Over the course of this weekend, i made almost a dozen replicas of RAF jets. Currently this post has only smaller jets, but i will be making the V-bombers and the BAE Nimrod in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All crafts that are up for download will be fully stock even if they are armed and painted in the picks. If you want the painted and armed versions as well, just ask and i will put them up too.

For this project, i was looking for British built aircrafts, so no RAF painted US built aircrafts are included, those are for another day.

The reason why i chose British built jets is: 

I haven't seen almost any of them around here on the forums, there are way too many USAF eagles, hornets, falcons, tomcats, warthogs and USSR fulcurums, fishbeds and flankers. Plus, i really like the more unique design asthetics of British designs.

That aside, i,m not going to build every single RAF jet out there, but i will most of them.

List of crafts: These are going to be in the order of how i built them.

1. English Electric Lightning: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kslzumfbbc2inju/English%20Electric%20Lighting.craft?dl=0

2. Supermarine Swift: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9kdi03ftnx6yj6/Supermarine%20Swift.craft?dl=0

3. Gloster Javelin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka5af4p12gv6kw5/Gloster%20Javelin%20%28Stock%29.craft?dl=0

4. Gloster meteor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/buljyi4e2nauq95/Gloster%20Meteor%20%28Stock%29.craft?dl=0

5. Hawker Hunter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/buljyi4e2nauq95/Gloster%20Meteor%20%28Stock%29.craft?dl=0

6. Sepecat Jaguar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb1pk0gc051rc55/Sepecat%20Jaguar.craft?dl=0

7. De Havilland Vampire: https://www.dropbox.com/s/85qm6iapyw4h2xd/De%20Havilland%20Vampire.craft?dl=0

8. De Havilland Sea Vixen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zox8nxed0l7thcm/De%20Havilland%20Sea%20Vixen.craft?dl=0

9. TSR 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrol5byp6wrgrvm/TSR%202.craft?dl=0

10. Hawker Seahawk: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqpedxw8ypn9r75/Hawker%20Seahawk.craft?dl=0

11. Fairey Gannet (uses Firespitter prop engines): https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ow0xvudspz64fp/Faery%20Gannet.craft?dl=0

Aircrafts for the future:

1. Panavia Tornado

2. Handley Page Victor

3. Avro vulcan

4. Vickers Valiant

5. BAE Nimrod

6. English Electric Canberra

There is lot's to do still.

NOTE: if there are any RAF aircrafts you would like to see me build, i'm open for requests, as long as it's post WW2 and British built.

NOTE: I can tell you right of the bat, that none of these replicas are perfect in terms of there accuracy (you be the judge of that). But i am very pleased with all of them.

All of the aircrafts have good manouverability (some are almost super manouverable), but none of them can go Mach 1.

Also, they all have Very good STOL capabilities (takeoff at around 30-50 m/s for all of them) and they all have a stall speed of around 30-50 m/s.

All right lets begin shall we.

First up we have the English Electric Lightning, Britain's only Mach 2 interceptor. This aircraft is pretty much as unique as it can get in terms of it's design (stacked engines and weird but cool looking wings).

I have to say that it turned out quite alright in terms of its design and performance.

Considering that i had to stack up to 4 fuel tanks on top of each other making it more heavy.

DTNhQoT.png

Top speed: 180-190 m/s

Parts: 76

Mass: 8 tons

Dimensions: 10.6m x 8.9m x 4.7m

Supermarine Swift. I can tell you right away that the wings where a pain in the ass to replicate, i,m still not too happy with the result, but i think they are ok looking.

It was designed as an interceptor but was later on used for foto reconnaissance in witch it our did most foreign designs.

Yzm53lc.jpg

Top speed: 160 m/s

Parts: 97

Mass: 8.1 tons

Dimensions: 13.2m x 13m x 4.7m

Gloster Javelin. A British designed night and all-weather interceptor that was the last aircraft to bear the name Gloster.

There isn't much to say about this one, it's a solid design that works.

rnCFqDk.jpg

Top speed: 260-270 m/s

Parts: 74

Mass: 11 tons

Dimensions: 14.3m x 13.5m x 4.3m

Gloster Meteor. Britain's First jet fighter and the only operational allied jet during WW2.

For this design i built a custom cockpit. Replicating the rudder for this one proved to be very hard, it's very messy, the pod is too big, but i think its alright.

(You can see on the fifth pick, that i ran out of fuel after 10 minutes of flying around, i had loaded 200 units of fuel).

S1xRXm6.png

(The version i was replicating was the one with more rounded wingtips).

NOTE: the stock version is a taildragger (no guns and radomes on the nose to weigh it down), so remember to push your nose down on before taking off.

Top speed: 160 m/s

Parts: 151

Mass: 9 tons

Dimensions: 13.3m x 14.1m x 4.4m

Hawker Hunter. A Fighter-bomber and reconnaissance aircraft that was later on used as a Trainer aircraft (twin-seater versions).

8JQdqnB.jpg

Top speed: 250-260 m/s

Parts: 75

Mass: 7.3 tons

Dimensions: 14m x 9.8m x 4.1m

SEPECAT Jaguar. Propably the hardest one to replicate, but witch i think turned out the best in terms of looks. I also included Ejector seats, witch as you will see are not that great.

The "Jaag" (Jeremy Clarkson) of the skies Was an Anglo-French designed close-support aircraft that was made for reconnaissance and tactical nuclear strike roles.

At first, the building of the fuselage was really confusing (the intakes especially) but after a bit of messing around i got the hang of it and all went smooth. I went for the Twin-seater version of the aircraft instead of the single-seater.

In terms of specs, this one is the least capables, it's slow, it's not that manouverable and it doesn't like to fly straight without SAS on.

5zNcuEt.jpg

Top speed: 100 m/s

Parts: 263 (doesn't run 60 fps)

Mass: 15.8 tons

Dimensions: 16.8m x 14.4m x 4.6m

De Havilland Vampire. A jet fighter that was primarily used as a Trainer jet.

This one was the most quickest one to build. 

sBPojtn.gif

Top speed: 140 m/s

Parts: 90

Mass: 6 tons

Dimensions: 10.9m x 13.4m x 3.2m

De Havilland Sea Vixen. A carrier based fleet defense fighter. Again, the design for this one is very unique indeed but very good looking in a strange way. Making of the vertical stabilizer was a bit of a challenge and ended up looking a bit wrong.

Also the offset cockpit prohibited me from making a round nosecone. But all and all, it ended up looking pretty good.

You can also see from the picks that for testing this aircrafts carrier worthiness, i built a 400m long aircraft carrier. But instead of doing that i ended up creating the Koudini (from Danny 2462's videos) of carriers.

Pick 10: now you see me, pick 11: and now i'm gone. Plus, the fact that i had to use whack a Kerbal to slow it down and a boatload of cheats wasn't helping either.

uvoG1vS.png

Top speed: 160-170 m/s

Parts: 150

Mass: 15.5 tons

Dimensions: 18m x 19.3m x 6.1m

TSR-2. A strike and reconnaissance aircraft that was cancelled and only had a single flying prototype out of the 3 complete examples.

I'm not too happy about the way this one ended up looking, it feels like everything is a bit off, the fuselage, wings and the cockpit.

But, it is pretty super manouverable and can carry a lot of weapons under the wings, making it the perfect bomber.

You can see from the first pick that this aircraft has the amazing ability to do tight turns using only the rudder.

3eeTTmc.png

Top speed: 110-120 m/s

Parts: 234

Mass: 22.3 tons

Dimensions: 22.1m x 18.5m x 7.4m

Hawker Sea Hawk. A carrier borne jet-fighter.

c5jN5mv.png

Top speed: 190 m/s

Parts: 76

Mass: 7.5 tons

Dimensions: 12.6m x 14.3m x 3.5m

And here comes the last one for today and propably my favorite, The Fairey Gannet, a carrier borne submarine hunter.

This one is the most manouverable of the bunch and easily the most fun one to fly. But you do need Firespitter tough.

AwPJ8Ld.jpg

Top speed: 100 m/s

Parts: 81

Mass: 9 tons

Dimensions: 11.9m x 14.6m x 4.5m

And, that is it for now, more will be coming up later so stay tuned.

I hope you enjoy this little replicas of mine :).

• 1 month later...

If you want to build a Meteor try the F.8 - the tail is all straight lines & the cockpit is marginally easier.

I *didn't* try and build a replica, but I did look at it long enough to attempt to get some features right.

Spoiler

26705122992_fe318431cf_b.jpg

9 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

If you want to build a Meteor try the F.8 - the tail is all straight lines & the cockpit is marginally easier.

I *didn't* try and build a replica, but I did look at it long enough to attempt to get some features right.

Hide contents

26705122992_fe318431cf_b.jpg

Looks pretty nice, but seems to use a lot of procedural parts.

The main reason I made that exact version is because I happened to have a Tamiya 1/48 scale model of the Meteor.

Edited by kapteenipirk

Yes, it's built out of parts permitted for the BAD-T contest ( which includes p-parts ). I tried an early model Meteor too ( given the contest's WW2 theme ), had the same problems with the tail shape as you were complaining about :)

The Vampire was very much a frontline combat aircraft, btw. If you want more suggestions, try the Gnat, and the Jet Provost ( both of those *were* mostly used as trainers by the RAF, exported ones had more combative roles ).

Edited by Van Disaster

On 4.5.2016 at 5:44 PM, Van Disaster said:

Yes, it's built out of parts permitted for the BAD-T contest ( which includes p-parts ). I tried an early model Meteor too ( given the contest's WW2 theme ), had the same problems with the tail shape as you were complaining about :)

The Vampire was very much a frontline combat aircraft, btw. If you want more suggestions, try the Gnat, and the Jet Provost ( both of those *were* mostly used as trainers by the RAF, exported ones had more combative roles ).

Alright, i'm going to replicate those one day, i'm also going to replicate the Blackburn Buccaneer while i'm at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.