Keep "outdated" contracts

TL;DR: I want to keep receiving contracts like "Get this Tourist to Kerbin orbit and back.", even long after I've been to the Mun or Duna or wherever.

I've recently started a new career mode and found out that I can make reasonably sized mountains of Funds by bracketing multiple "Tourism" contracts together, i.e. sending 5 tourists to Kerbin orbit and back in one rocket. This was a very practical way of gaining around 100,000 funds on hard difficulty in a single launch as it only required going to Kerbin orbit and back which is a relatively short trip.

Then I sent my first craft to fly by the Mun and realized that I was effectively punished for the progress, as I no longer received contracts to take tourists into Kerbin orbit, but rather to the Mun.

It seems to me that, as it stands, you only get "frontier" contracts, meaning contracts that take your space program to the edge of its demonstrated capabilities. I would like to make the point that this is bad for two reasons:

1. It has the potential to punish players for their progress, as described above.
2. It simply doesn't make sense: My space program manages to go to the Mun and all the sudden all tourists want to go to the Mun, while any interest in a faster and cheaper flight just to Kerbin orbit vanishes.

Though I am unsure how other types of contracts, like satellite launches, are affected by your progress.

I would prefer if "outdated" contracts, like taking tourists to kerbin orbin when you could go to the Mun, kept appearing, instead of getting replaced by "frontier" alternatives.

This obviously means that you would get alot more contracts, but that makes sense to me: Your progress unlocks a greater variety of choices for how you want to fund your space program. A better categorization and sorting interface for your contracts could be added deal with large numbers of available contracts.

What do you guys think?
Is it just a coincidence that I haven't gotten simpler contracts in a while?
Do you think that heaps of available contracts are a bad idea?

Maybe they could offer a way that your spaceprogram could specialize?

Possibly it could be a type of strategy in the administration building? Eg. once you unlock satellite contracts you can choose to specialize in those and then later for decide on which astronomical body... once you pick that x number of contracts offered will be something of that type?

15 hours ago, 78stonewobble said:

Maybe they could offer a way that your spaceprogram could specialize?

Possibly it could be a type of strategy in the administration building? Eg. once you unlock satellite contracts you can choose to specialize in those and then later for decide on which astronomical body... once you pick that x number of contracts offered will be something of that type?

Maybe try this mod?

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, MajorNr01 said:

What do you guys think?
Is it just a coincidence that I haven't gotten simpler contracts in a while?
Do you think that heaps of available contracts are a bad idea?

I think it does still give the simpler contracts. I definitely see the occasional "orbit Kerbin" contract even when I'm running missions out to Jool. It's just they're much rarer once the randomly generated contracts can pick any planet or moon, rather than being restricted to Kerbin.

17 hours ago, MrCynical said:

I think it does still give the simpler contracts. I definitely see the occasional "orbit Kerbin" contract even when I'm running missions out to Jool. It's just they're much rarer once the randomly generated contracts can pick any planet or moon, rather than being restricted to Kerbin.

That makes sense. I'd still love to simply get all the contracts instead of a fixed number of contracts, no matter how many possible contracts your space program qualifies for.

You'd need some way to organize and search your contracts, but why not add such a feature anyway?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.