Next generation thermometer bearing/hinge 1.1 compatable

On 3/21/2017 at 11:23 AM, Majorjim! said:

Good luck!

Oh, also, try using an RCS block instead of an antenna if it's a high stress system. They tend to be more reliable for high weight, high stress mechanisms.

As an example:

rcUxrPZ.gif

I tweaked the thermo-RCS hinge into a ball-and-socket arrangement by angling the thermometers, which resists longitudinal compression of the axle.

I connected wings, dockingports and RCS-levers to the central cubic strut for movable wings on these craft.  There's a motion diagram to see how they work in 4D.

Edited by Torquimedes

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Aphobius said:

You might want to check this:

I'm glad you crossposted - I think I would have missed it otherwise.  Amazing!

Edited by klond

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm trying to make a new clock, but I need some help.

I have a reaction wheel that can roll freely by using a thermometer hinge. But I use if for some kind of escapement and when the teeth (antennas that I've placed on it) hit something, the whole thing is bouncing a few times before stopping.

Anyone has any ideas how I could add some friction to it? (hopefully that will stop the bouncing)

I've tried to place thermometers around the reaction wheel, if I place them radially, the friction is not smooth, if I place them on the flat faces of the reaction wheel, I don't get any friction at all.

I've also tried to place the thermometers of the hinge closer together, but that makes the hinge unstable and doesn't seem to add any friction at all.

I thought about using landing gears, but they are too big and they don't fit well inside the whole mechanism.

EDIT: I've solved the bouncing by making some kind of ratchet. Added an antenna that slows down the gear before the correct position and after that blocks it from rotating back.

Still, if anyone has an idea of how we can add constant friction to the thermometer hinge, it might be useful for other things.

Edited by Aphobius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.