Next generation thermometer bearing/hinge 1.1 compatable

Hi all,

I know I said I would not build anything in the 1.1 opt-in but who am I kidding! I thought this deserved its own thread as I am so proud of it!

Some of you may remember the tiny ant engine and thermometer hinges I developed. Well, in 1.1 the geometry of the ant engines has changed and they no longer work.. ;.;

However, as they say necessity is the mother of invention I looked for an alternative and found that the commuotron 16s are perfect for this! I also realised that using the hexagon cage shape I developed for the first hinge I could turn them length ways further reducing the profile of the hinge. I originally developed the thermo hinge as a swinging door hinge and this new version is made for the same purpose. The extremely low profile of the hinge allows it to be fitted in the smallest of places allowing for beautiful looking and operating swing doors and other hinge uses.  It is possible to make other types of small hinges from fewer parts as seen in @sgt_flyer new 3dof hinge he made for his canadarm and I know I said this of the last version but I'm going to say it again, you cannot make a smaller, lower profile free swinging hinge in KSP. You could even make this smaller by using one set of 8 thermometers with two communotron 16s either side, a true micro hinge!

This was made in the opt-in 1.1 version with no offset or other building mods! Check out the video below.

I will post a craft file after the full 1.1 release, thanks all!

MJ

P.S, If you use/copy/borrow this design a credit to me as the inventor would be appreciated cheers all! 

0ryMimD.jpg

RBo1tkh.png

Craft file download from KerbalX

Edited by Majorjim!

'K, two ways you could slim that down:

-From what I've heard, the communotron also has a collision "box" when extended, so you could run a single one as a central axle and hang the thermometer cage from that. As a bonus point, you could release the hinge by retracting the antenna.

-Put two thermometer cages, half-sunk into the whatever the hinge is bolted on, then put the communotron on the swinging piece. You could make the whole thing much narrower that way, about as much a stowed communotron.

Rune. Works beautifully, a shame these things have inherent problems with timewarp (you gotta have two ships) or I would be using them myself.

Edited by Rune

54 minutes ago, Rune said:

'K, two ways you could slim that down:

-From what I've heard, the communotron also has a collision "box" when extended, so you could run a single one as a central axle and hang the thermometer cage from that. As a bonus point, you could release the hinge by retracting the antenna.

-Put two thermometer cages, half-sunk into the whatever the hinge is bolted on, then put the communotron on the swinging piece. You could make the whole thing much narrower that way, about as much a stowed communotron.

Rune. Works beautifully, a shame these things have inherent problems with timewarp (you gotta have two ships) or I would be using them myself.

Not sure what you mean Rune. It cannot be made slimmer or the antenna will not rotate. I already stated that it could be made smaller in the OP by using a single thermo cage that is the smallest it could possibly be. :wink: It would then be smaller than you said, as long as the thermometer part itself.

Also as this is designed as a door hinge I would have no need to detach it. I use these as you have seen on my Duna direct craft and there is no issue whatsoever with timewap and if used on a moving craft you just dock it and there also will be no issue with time warp. There really is no good reason not to use these man! They have so many uses.

2 hours ago, Planetfall said:

Wow... Just wow. 

Soo small!:D

that's the only time I have been happy to hear someone say that!

6 minutes ago, castille7 said:

Impressive, incredible and outstanding too! You never stop amazing me with your innovation skills in KSP! 

You are too kind man! Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Not sure what you mean Rune. It cannot be made slimmer or the antenna will not rotate. I already stated that it could be made smaller in the OP by using a single thermo cage that is the smallest it could possibly be. :wink: It would then be smaller than you said, as long as the thermometer part itself.

No, I didn't mean slimmer. But you use two thermometer cages on two antennae. You could either use 2 cages on the static part and one single antenna (allowing you to hide most of the thermometers), or even just the one cage, if it is on the rotating object and you extend the antenna.

Just now, Rune said:

No, I didn't mean slimmer. But you use two thermometer cages on two antennae. You could either use 2 cages on the static part and one single antenna (allowing you to hide most of the thermometers), or even just the one cage, if it is on the rotating object and you extend the antenna.

Oh I see, again though, in the OP I did say it could be made smaller by only using one cage and one antenna. Using the open antenna is 'no go' as the geometry it is stepped/tilted and not straight sadly.

It works great with one set of eight thermos and one antenna making it 9 parts overall. Its much smoother than using the ant engine and it is stronger too. I will rebuild my tank tracks with it as the ultimate test! Plus all the other craft that use it.. Ho hum, without the ants breaking this would not have been made! :sticktongue:

I will upload this test craft if anyone wants to fiddle with it in 1.1.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

This is amazing!  I can't wait to see what the next gen tracks will look like!

Me too I have no idea yet! Thanks man.

Edited by Majorjim

I'd imagine you would potentially give up on any form of new bearings after all your hard work broke in the new update, but you made it even better. Your dedication to it is amazing, even more so!

Just now, FlipNascar said:

Would make for a nice little carousel with that inflatable heat shield!

LOL! It may have the same weakness as the ant version as in vertical its not as smooth. More testing is required for that and other uses. I made primarily as a replacement for my door hinges so my craft where not broken by 1.1.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, ReconXPanzer said:

Very good, I guess now it's also possible to make custom loading ramps, tank tracks, super small bearings. Very well done!

Yeah all those things and more! I am knee deep in another rebuild of my horizontal constellation landers and so wont get round to upgrading my tank tracks with this for a while but I wanted to get it out there so people can start adding some nice details to their spacecraft! Let me know if you have any construction questions mate.

Edited by Majorjim

7 hours ago, cbplayer2012 said:

These are probably not strong enough to use on my stock 50 ton mech, but hell I am gonna try anyway

Probably not.. It's main function is a door hinge that would support little weight. Give it a go anyway! I will do some weight tests later maybe and report back.

3 hours ago, Speadge said:

sorry i just dont get it... but what is it made of? (described without a craft file, since ppl dont always have ksp at hand :wink: )

thx

That's ok mate, it is simple once you know how of course. Each end of the bearing housing is made from eight thermometer parts. The trick was getting the right shape to allow for a smooth 360 degree rotation. That is the star shape you see in the pics above. The part that the housing rotates around are two extending antennas, un-extended. The two parts are one craft until the stack separator is staged then the housing stays still and the antennas are attached to the moving part and spin around inside the shape made from the eight thermometer parts.

Download the example craft and have a look. Seeing it up close should make its operation clearer.

20 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Yeah all those things and more! I am knee deep in another rebuild of my horizontal constellation landers and so wont get round to upgrading my tank tracks with this for a while but I wanted to get it out there so people can start adding some nice details to their spacecraft! Let me know if you have any construction questions mate.

Cheers Majorjim :D

18 hours ago, Majorjim said:

That's ok mate, it is simple once you know how of course. Each end of the bearing housing is made from eight thermometer parts. The trick was getting the right shape to allow for a smooth 360 degree rotation. That is the star shape you see in the pics above. The part that the housing rotates around are two extending antennas, un-extended. The two parts are one craft until the stack separator is staged then the housing stays still and the antennas are attached to the moving part and spin around inside the shape made from the eight thermometer parts.

Download the example craft and have a look. Seeing it up close should make its operation clearer.

sounds funny, how much force does it whithstand?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.