Next generation thermometer bearing/hinge 1.1 compatable

Just now, Speadge said:

sounds funny, how much force does it whithstand?

I'm not sure of the upper limit, but as it's intended purpose as a super small door hinge it is 100% reliable in normal use. I will do some tests today if I have time to see what kind of weight it can take.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say that these thermometer hinges are a great invention and from testing are very strong! I won't reveal too much but I am going to use them in an upcoming project, (might take a little while to perfect), so thanks for your creativity.

Edited by Redshift OTF

Just now, Redshift OTF said:

I just want to say that these thermometer hinges are a great invention and from testing are very strong! I won't reveal too much but I am going to use them in an upcoming project, (might take a little while to perfect), so thanks for your creativity.

I am very happy to hear that! Yeah if you make them correctly and are patient they are very reliable indeed. They really open up a lot of new possibilities for interesting and creative stock craft. I look forward to seeing how you use them!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, MJ!  Still, it seems like every stock hinge out there has the same issue - they end up separating the craft into two pieces.  I wish Squad would take note of the number of hoops people are jumping through to make moving parts and just give us a few stock hinge parts that allow us to keep the craft together...

Danny

On 05/20/2016 at 4:14 PM, CrashTestDanny said:

Very cool, MJ!  Still, it seems like every stock hinge out there has the same issue - they end up separating the craft into two pieces.  I wish Squad would take note of the number of hoops people are jumping through to make moving parts and just give us a few stock hinge parts that allow us to keep the craft together...

Danny

Agreed, a proper stock hinge would be ace! Having said that.. It is a lot of fun challenging your own creativity to come up with alternatives! It makes craft that little bit more special.

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

So they're "very strong" eh? I wonder if I could use this to give my Concorde replica a droop nose. I must investigate!

Did I say "very strong"? Don't quote me! :D

They can be very reliable if made correctly and used in a specific way. I have seen people get some really good, strong mechanisms with this hinge design. The best thing is the size of it. It can be hidden easily giving craft a very pleasing, clean look.

If you have any issues feel free to ask for advice here, I am always happy to assist.

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Oh my bad, I was quoting Redshift OTF. I was on mobile so quoting function wasn't working right. :P Anyway, I will be trying this out in just few mins!

I'm just teasing. :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with! To make the drooping nose will be tricky as it has to move in two directions. I wish you luck mate!

Ok so I ended up being forced to abandon the droop nose idea because my Concorde model already has way too much drag (it will barely stay above mach 1 with full reheat, let alone supercruise at mach 2 :mad:). However, after messing with the thermohinge concept a bit, I have found an incredible new use for them. I want to perfect it before I share it though.    Hint: :confused:

I should be able to share the thing this evening. It's by no means perfect, but it's not violently exploding anymore, so that's good enough for me :)

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Update

Ok so I ended up being forced to abandon the droop nose idea because my Concorde model already has way too much drag (it will barely stay above mach 1 with full reheat, let alone supercruise at mach 2 :mad:). However, after messing with the thermohinge concept a bit, I have found an incredible  new use for them. I want to perfect it before I share it though.    Hint: :confused:

EEK! I can't wait to see it!

Just now, He_162 said:

How strong is it, I.E. How much weight and forces can these things withstand?

I don't have any numbers on that as there are quite a few ways to make hinges out of these parts. I should do some proper scientific testing of the different types I know how to make. I mostly just get them to work for specific tasks and tweak them until they work.

Just now, Majorjim said:

I don't have any numbers on that as there are quite a few ways to make hinges out of these parts. I should do some proper scientific testing of the different types I know how to make. I mostly just get them to work for specific tasks and tweak them until they work.

Gotcha. Experiment time! Yay! Science!

In a more serious note, I was trying to use this for a movable wing (F-14 replica a while back) and They didn't seem to work well in high G maneuvers, and or just at high speed in general, and it was impossible to get the wing back into forward position.

8 hours ago, He_162 said:

Gotcha. Experiment time! Yay! Science!

In a more serious note, I was trying to use this for a movable wing (F-14 replica a while back) and They didn't seem to work well in high G maneuvers, and or just at high speed in general, and it was impossible to get the wing back into forward position.

How where you pushing the wing forward? Remember you are using something primarily designed as a door hinge!

I saw someone made a swing wing or VTOL with it. I can't remember who though. I will search for it.

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

How where you pushing the wing forward? Remember you are using something primarily designed as a door hinge!

I saw someone made a swing wing or VTOL with it. I can't remember who though. I will search for it.

SAS unit spinning it from just past the base, the small one, and it worked perfectly when not above 200 m/s

Edited by He_162

Ok here it is! A small turbo-motor! Inspired by Azimech's large scale turboprops, I decided I wanted to make something smaller. A modified thermohinge allowed me to do that. It works pointed in any direction. All I had to do was figure out a way to block the shaft from falling out; in this case I used a cubic strut placed inbetween 2 antennas (I used no-offset-limits to move one of the antennas, but I'm pretty sure I could find a way without that). In the screenshots of the inside you can see this more clearly. The 8xthermos&antenna circling outside of the hinge act as a turbine to capture the thrust from the single Juno blower.

I probably would have an actual plane (or heli) by now if KSP physics didn't keep doing this weird thing that only one side of the prop will produce thrust! In this example, I didn't put a prop on, just antennas for reference.

I'm not sure exactly how fast it rotates, but it was enough that propellers without enough pitch (and thus load due to drag) would expand outward and eventually either hit the ground and blow up (if they were tested closer to the ground), or just fly apart (if the ground wasn't there to stop them).

I might share the craft file in a bit if anyone wants it :)

Good stuff man!

41 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

All I had to do was figure out a way to block the shaft from falling out

My hinge design already takes this into account. The hinge is blocked at one end by another thermometer. This is a very important part of the design to keep it operating reliably.

I think you may see some issues when you add a rotating weight onto the hinge. And in order to create enough lift you need to be spinning very fast indeed and there is a built in rotation limit in KSP. Stock 'turboprops' or wash 'water wheels' as I like to call them are effectively dead. You need ot mod the game to get much useful work from them.

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

there is a built in rotation limit in KSP

My understanding is that Squad got rid of this a while back. Unless it's been reeplimented in 1.1, I think the only limit on how fast ships spin is their tensile strength.

I think my motor above was getting at least 50rpm (only a guestimate based on the illusions of backwards movement and stuff caused by frames, might have been 1/2 or 3/2 or 2x that or something).

Ima perform a quick test with a mk1 lander can in space. If the limit exists now, it means I won't be able to go warp speed after spinning anymore :(

My understanding is that Squad got rid of this a while back. Unless it's been reeplimented in 1.1, I think the only limit on how fast ships spin is their tensile strength.

I think my motor above was getting at least 50rpm (only a guestimate based on the illusions of backwards movement and stuff caused by frames, might have been 1/2 or 3/2 or 2x that or something).

Ima perform a quick test with a mk1 lander can in space. If the limit exists now, it means I won't be able to go warp speed after spinning anymore :(

I could be wrong man, that's just the impression I got from reading the other Azimech thread. Yeah do some tests as it the only sure fire way to know!

I  love that you made a turboprop with the hinge man, I was going to do some tests of my own after my constellation pack so I will keep a close eye on your progress!

Ok there is definitely some kind of rotation limit now. I can't even get to Kerbin escape anymore, let alone get launched at 1000c. I actually figure this out long before I ran out of electric charge, as I wasn't getting the ever-changing stroboscopic effect (figured out what the thing caused by frames was called) that should have resulted from continual rotational acceleration. But whatever the rotation limit is, it's still quite high, 100 rotations per second maybe?

Anyways, this still doesn't explain why only one side is getting thrust. It's doesn't make sense. I may post pics tomorrow, but I'm pretty busy.

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Ok there is definitely some kind of rotation limit now. I can't even get to Kerbin escape anymore, let alone get launched at 1000c. I actually figure this out long before I ran out of electric charge, as I wasn't getting the ever-changing stroboscopic effect (figured out what the thing caused by frames was called) that should have resulted from continual rotational acceleration. But whatever the rotation limit is, it's still quite high, 100 rotations per second maybe?

Anyways, this still doesn't explain why only one side is getting thrust. It's doesn't make sense. I may post pics tomorrow, but I'm pretty busy.

Yeah post some more pics man. And or a DL link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.