Mission Name vs Vessel Name

Hello everyone! I had an idea while watching a 1.1 video, and he had to rename is  vessel every single time he launched a new name. For example the Saturn V missions were not called "Saturn Vs". I believe there should be an option in the menu screen when you launch a craft to choose the mission name, so when you look at a Kerbal's history in the Astronaut Complex (another thing I want to add, a list of all Kerbal's you had on missions, and you could find them and see everything they've done, search them by your achievements, etc) and see what missions they flew, not on what rockets the flew on.

-aperture science employee

On 2.4.2016 at 11:44 PM, S0NofThunder176 said:

Good Idea! i would love to see this in future updates! And I agree they were called Apollo not Saturn V's

Actually, that is not accurate, either.

The missions name was Apollo (plus number), but the vehicles has other designations. The Saturn V that was used for the Apollo 11 mission was called "AS-506" (Where AS is short for Apollo-Saturn, the 5 is a reference to Saturn V, and the 06 designates that it was the 6th such configuration flown).

So you actually have the vessels well, class?, which would be Saturn V, the vessel name of the concrete vessel that was used (SA-506) and then the mission name for which it was used. (SA-513 for example was used for the Skylab I mission).

22 hours ago, Kosmognome said:

Actually, that is not accurate, either.

The missions name was Apollo (plus number), but the vehicles has other designations. The Saturn V that was used for the Apollo 11 mission was called "AS-506" (Where AS is short for Apollo-Saturn, the 5 is a reference to Saturn V, and the 06 designates that it was the 6th such configuration flown).

So you actually have the vessels well, class?, which would be Saturn V, the vessel name of the concrete vessel that was used (SA-506) and then the mission name for which it was used. (SA-513 for example was used for the Skylab I mission).

Does anyone call Apollo 11 "AS-506"? Does anyone call Apollo 11 "Saturn V(11)"? No. People call it Apollo 11.

1 hour ago, Aperture Science Employee said:

Does anyone call Apollo 11 "AS-506"? Does anyone call Apollo 11 "Saturn V(11)"? No. People call it Apollo 11.

When people say "Apollo 11 landed on the moon" then they usually refer to the Eagle (which was the name of the LM) touching down on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission. It was brought there on top of the CSM-107 Columbia, launched by AS-506, which was Saturn V.

Apollo 11 refers to the mission as whole, not a vessel. Just because people don't differentiate this enough doesn't mean one should do the same. I'm all for custom mission names, because I think that is what KSP would benefit most from.

In the topic title and the OP you are only talking about mission names, and I fully suppoit that idea. I was only commenting on the fact that the comparison between "Apollo" and "Saturn V" is not entirely accurate, because they refer to different things.

The name of the ship was saturn V, the name of the mission was apollo, we get it. No one refers to the individual missions by the exact name of the ship, they either refer to it by its mission name or the name of the ship as a whole. They don't say STS-61 fixed hubble, they say Endeavour fixed it. Maybe by the astronauts' names or "the space shuttle", but unless you are doing a school report, have a job that requires you to do so, or want to sound smart in front of your friends, you call it by the name of the ship.

I like this idea. Would also be cool to have a kerbal "hall of fame", or something like that, describing the missions a particular kerbal went on. Maybe it could also trickle in some funds like a museum to give you a reason to upgrade it in career.

Whatever naming you want to do, KSP lack "Mission" level data. You could group launches by mission ans search for them in the tracking station. Experience, Science and funds could be regrouped per mission.

In other words : a real "Kerbal Space Program" not "Kerbal Space Flight"

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, Warzouz said:

Whatever naming you want to do, KSP lack "Mission" level data. You could group launches by mission ans search for them in the tracking station. Experience, Science and funds could be regrouped per mission.

In other words : a real "Kerbal Space Program" not "Kerbal Space Flight"

^ Just that. That. I'd also like to apologize for my inactivity, for I, have had state testing this week.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, Snikersnee said:

The name of the ship was saturn V, the name of the mission was apollo, we get it. No one refers to the individual missions by the exact name of the ship, they either refer to it by its mission name or the name of the ship as a whole. They don't say STS-61 fixed hubble, they say Endeavour fixed it. Maybe by the astronauts' names or "the space shuttle", but unless you are doing a school report, have a job that requires you to do so, or want to sound smart in front of your friends, you call it by the name of the ship.

I like this idea. Would also be cool to have a kerbal "hall of fame", or something like that, describing the missions a particular kerbal went on. Maybe it could also trickle in some funds like a museum to give you a reason to upgrade it in career.

I would talk about that whole museum thing, but that's for a whole other discussion. But about describing missions, that's an amazing idea. I would like to see that implemented.

• 1 month later...

All of all, what we really need is proper filters and sorting. Plus custom ones, just like we have it in VAB.Let'ss say you click on "sort by: vessel name (yeah I know these are different things but whatever, I'm not going to name every single module different, come on)" and you get all vessels sorted alphabetical. Then turn on custom mission filter "Apollo" and you get all Saturn Vs flying on their Apollo missions.

Or something like that.

Just now, The Aziz said:

All of all, what we really need is proper filters and sorting. Plus custom ones, just like we have it in VAB.Let'ss say you click on "sort by: vessel name (yeah I know these are different things but whatever, I'm not going to name every single module different, come on)" and you get all vessels sorted alphabetical. Then turn on custom mission filter "Apollo" and you get all Saturn Vs flying on their Apollo missions.

Or something like that.

Exactly what I had in mind. 

This would definitely be very helpful. What I used to do was save each mission as a new craft file with minor modifications, but gave up when the vessel list got too long. 

6 minutes ago, Panel said:

This would definitely be very helpful. What I used to do was save each mission as a new craft file with minor modifications, but gave up when the vessel list got too long. 

This is what subassemblies tried to achieve, but they can't have command modules, which made them utterly useless, because you can't use them for payloads.

2 different suggestions:

- I often forget to name/rename my ships. Renaming them afterwards from the tracking station would be easier.

- I think there's no vessel type for satellite. I'd like it, instead of calling them stations or probes.

Edited by gogozerg

On 4/5/2016 at 9:55 AM, Snikersnee said:

They don't say STS-61 fixed hubble, they say Endeavour fixed it.

OV-105.

I had to learn the shuttles by Orbiter Vehicle number to talk to my father, as he did not know their names.  Reference to shuttle missions by STS number is quite common, as well.

My vessels tend to have three designations: Class, Vehicle Name, and Mission.

Edited by razark

On 4/1/2016 at 2:00 AM, Aperture Science Employee said:

the Saturn V missions were not called "Saturn Vs"

My personal solution is to design a launcher (My current one is called "Energy") and different payloads, which bear the name of the intended mission. 

I do the same. It's kind of annoying and this could be implemented into the "science" system. Basically, a menu displays options where you choose the projects target(SOI, Landed, Orbit, Impacter) and where those would apply(Mun, Duna, etc)

Then it would show a deadline, and your contracts(which should be in the admin building imho) would be contracts that do with your program. For example, let's say you make an Eeelo program mid game. The contracts would be long-range efficient engines, large fuel tanks, and Eeelo missions. Let's say that your program(which would include the mission name instead of the vessel name) is a probe lander. Contracts would be "get a sample from Eeelo.

This combines a sense of progression and high replayability, while being heavily based on the fact it's a user generated mission. You choose your programs, and you are running your space program. Not a computer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.