Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Why doesnt Elon Musk use SI units? Now 95% of the world have to look up how much is one mph...

He's an 'Merican now, so he has to use US customary units or he gets booted out of the country.

It does look like one of the SuperDraco engines shut down early, which might be the "below nominal" performance that seems to have been called out during the test.

In this short video, you can see that one of the engines in the left pod on the near side of the capsule shuts down and emits a puff of smoke at around 0:04, a couple seconds before the rest of the engines shut down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyrB7kOqfdM

Edited by Meithan

He's an 'Merican now, so he has to use US customary units or he gets booted out of the country.

Nasa uses SI units, I dont see them getting booted :)

I guess everyone needs to start encourage US citizen to start use SI units.. avoiding using imperial units (at least with this science related topics), is like keep pushing the inevitable.

- - - Updated - - -

It does look like one of the SuperDraco pods shutdown early, which might be the "below nominal" performance that seems to have been called out during the test.

In this short video, you can see the one of the engines in the left pod on the near side of the capsule shutdown and emit a puff of smoke at around 0:04, a couple seconds before the rest of the engines shut down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyrB7kOqfdM

Yeah, it seems so..

If it was engine failure, it does at least confirm that even three Super Dracos can push the capsule to safety efficiently enough.

There are eight engines arranged in four clusters of two. As long as at least one engine in each cluster fires, enough thrust will be produced for the desired effect. So technically it was 7 Dracos, and they only need four to work.

I just watched the abort test.

First of all good going!

Second of all DAMN, that fall looked really harsh, the Dragon 2 looks really unstable falling. I have doubts the crew would be in "great shape" after that.

On the Soyuz T-10a, the only time a LES was used, the crew were badly bruised.

It has about the same acceleration as the Dragon 2, so I guess great shape means "Alive and badly bruised".

It has about the same acceleration as the Dragon 2, so I guess great shape means "Alive and badly bruised".

Similar acceleration but a different position (on the sides instead of infront), not sure if it would be better or worse.

Still, you think they'll want to avoid - as much as it's possible - any risk of breaking bones - fat embolism from broken bones can be deadly - especially if the crew was ejected at long distance in sea and will require some time to be rescued.

Far from it. The Soyuz LES produces much larger accelerations, as did the Apollo LES. Specifically, in the T-10a Soyuz incident, the LES produced "an acceleration of 14 to 17g (137 to 167 m/s²) for five seconds". Crew Dragon is limited to 5-6 g's.

Far from it. The Soyuz LES produces much larger accelerations, as did the Apollo LES. Specifically, in the T-10a Soyuz incident, the LES produced "an acceleration of 14 to 17g (137 to 167 m/s²) for five seconds". Crew Dragon is limited to 5-6 g's.

I did not know that. Let's change it to mildly bruised then. Alive and mildly bruised.

I did not know that. Let's change it to mildly bruised then. Alive and mildly bruised.

do you think that they would have cut the mic for swearing, just like in Soyuz T-10a ? :D

do you think that they would have cut the mic for swearing, just like in Soyuz T-10a ? :D

I think 4-5 Gs is something astronauts can handle. 14 to 17, on the other hand, and a little swearing is more than reasonable. When they landed, the first thing the rescue crew did was give them vodka and cigarettes. That's soviet Russia.

I think 4-5 Gs is something astronauts can handle. 14 to 17, on the other hand, and a little swearing is more than reasonable. When they landed, the first thing the rescue crew did was give them vodka and cigarettes. That's soviet Russia.

I think that the fact that you narrowly escaped an exploding rocket would be enough reason to swear, regardless of the g-forces