Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Wide view angle camera of Dragon 2 abort test. You can see how the trunk basically falls straight down and throws beach sand up in the air when it crashes.

Great video, thanks for posting! But I'd say that's a water splash when the trunk "lands", not sand.

Edit: on fifth or so watch: yeah, could be a "sand splash", not sure now.

Edited by Meithan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, is the next landing going to be on land?

Both potential landing areas on on USAF property, they want multiple successful barge landings before a land landing attempt. As the next launch attempt is scheduled for the 28th and the new east coast landing barge isn't yet ready, there may not be a landing attempt at all.

So, is the next landing going to be on land?

Don't think so, the landing pad on Vanderberg was still just leveled earth a few days ago, and the newer sister ship to "Just Read The Instructions", the "Of Course I Still Love You" has been sighted crossing the Panama channel headed for the Pacific. I'd say they are going for a successful barge landing before they try land, they have got to perfect the technique after all. Informative article on the subject:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/06/spacex-augments-upgrades-drone-ship-armada/

Rune. Good luck to them!

Don't think so, the landing pad on Vanderberg was still just leveled earth a few days ago, and the newer sister ship to "Just Read The Instructions", the "Of Course I Still Love You" has been sighted crossing the Panama channel headed for the Pacific. I'd say they are going for a successful barge landing before they try land, they have got to perfect the technique after all. Informative article on the subject:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/06/spacex-augments-upgrades-drone-ship-armada/

Rune. Good luck to them!

The next launch is from CCAFS, not Vandenberg. The landing pad there is ready, they just don't have permission to use it.

"Of Course I Still Love You"? :D Awesome name for a boat.

It's officially known by the rather more prosaic name Marmac 303. Her as-yet-nicknameless sister on the east coast is Marmac 304, and her now-retired predecessor was Marmac 300.

It's officially known by the rather more prosaic name Marmac 303. Her as-yet-nicknameless sister on the east coast is Marmac 304, and her now-retired predecessor was Marmac 300.

Just thinking about it, what other company has fun with silly things like this? :cool:

I have to say that I support the online campaign to name one of the barges after another of the ships in Ian Banks' Culture Series "only slightly bent". The campaign was to rename "just read the instructions" as "only slightly bent", but given their record so far, the name will be fitting for the new barges soon enough, as well.

They just finished painting the bullseye circles and the X in the center of the deck of the Marmac 304 ASDS. It's unclear at this point whether it will be given its predecessor's name (Just Read The Instructions), a new name, or no painted name at all (at least for CRS7). We'll probably find out very soon.

The next launch is from CCAFS, not Vandenberg. The landing pad there is ready, they just don't have permission to use it.

I thought the next launch for SpaceX was Jason 3? Then again, that got slightly delayed, I do remember that. CRS-7 comes before Aug 9?

Rune. Time flies.

CRS flight 7 is currently slated for next Sunday (June 28th). It was supposed to have launched already but the loss of the Progress spacecraft a couple weeks ago resulted in the whole ISS flightplan getting reshuffled.

Jason-3 is the launch after that, and it got pushed back too, because there was a contamination issue with the satellite that delayed its delivery for integration. It's now set for August 8th, provisionally ("no earlier than"). SpaceX has filed for permit to put a barge into position on that date, but rumors say that there'll be a weather poll an hour before launch to decide if they'll go for a land landing attempt instead. Of course, this would require the landing pad to be actually built... so far it's just a sand pit :P But then again, casting a square slab of concrete is a two-day affair.

There's a number of planned launches (SES-9, Orbcomm OG2 and CRS flight 8) that were all supposed to happen in between August 1st and September 2nd, but there's no way they can keep that schedule now. All three will be delayed significantly. SpaceX has given a guarantee that SES-9 will launch no later than September.

CRS flight 7 is currently slated for next Sunday (June 28th). It was supposed to have launched already but the loss of the Progress spacecraft a couple weeks ago resulted in the whole ISS flightplan getting reshuffled.

Jason-3 is the launch after that, and it got pushed back too, because there was a contamination issue with the satellite that delayed its delivery for integration. It's now set for August 8th, provisionally ("no earlier than"). SpaceX has filed for permit to put a barge into position on that date, but rumors say that there'll be a weather poll an hour before launch to decide if they'll go for a land landing attempt instead. Of course, this would require the landing pad to be actually built... so far it's just a sand pit :P But then again, casting a square slab of concrete is a two-day affair.

There's a number of planned launches (SES-9, Orbcomm OG2 and CRS flight 8) that were all supposed to happen in between August 1st and September 2nd, but there's no way they can keep that schedule now. All three will be delayed significantly. SpaceX has given a guarantee that SES-9 will launch no later than September.

That clears things, yes. And of course, they are slipping as everybody thought they would. It's only to be expected, considering the huge manifest they had. But so far it's not by much, and it's mostly because of external factor as much as internal ones.

Rune. Bets for the end-of-year launch count? I say "more than ten F9's, but less than 15, 11 if I have to pull a number out of my ass".