Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

SpaceX claims that the ITS booster stage separates at around 2400m/s, which is around 8650km/h. That is when it's carrying the 2000-ton ITS spacecraft.

It might be able to reach orbit if it didn't have a payload, but it won't be coming back because it can't reenter. There's no point in even discussing it.

Even more successful a test flight than Blue Origin was expecting!  I'd say this morning has been a victory, even if it was a bit over half an hour late. :0.0:

Edit: Gentlemen (and ladies), it has been loads of fun watching the livestream with you.

Edited by Aetharan

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Industry standard is a powerful first stage and a small circularizing upperstage.

SpaceX has pioneered the "low and slow" stage, with the first stage just getting the second high enough for the vac nozzles to work, then coming home.

That's because many modern launchers are optimized for sending payloads to geostationary transfer orbit, not low earth orbit.

The Falcon 9's delta-v distribution is really nothing new, if you look at e.g. the boosterless Titans or the Saturn I/IB, you will see something very similar.

27 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Wait, there's a launch today? Of what?

New Shepard did an in-flight abort test about an hour ago. Both the capsule and (against all expectations) the rocket made it to the ground safely. A perfect mission. :)

1 hour ago, Basto said:

Looks like the emergency escape would have been a bit white knuckle but it worked well. Curious how many Gs you would hit on that. 

It was fast, was not able to lock the start of burn on youtube , it looked like the pod tumbled a bit at the end, guess that is simply that the LES is designed to push it a bit sideway to get away from booster and that makes issues then the booster burns out and you move sideways. 

Overall very good work. 
However did the booster accelerate to reach 2500 MPH= 4000 km/h =  1.1 km/s, I thought they would start landing booster shortly after eject but it landed well after the capsule. It might be simpler to have it do its trajectory as they did not expected it to survive it was no reason to make an one time mission profile. 

Edited by magnemoe

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

That's because many modern launchers are optimized for sending payloads to geostationary transfer orbit, not low earth orbit.

The Falcon 9's delta-v distribution is really nothing new, if you look at e.g. the boosterless Titans or the Saturn I/IB, you will see something very similar.

Yes, note that many is 2.5-3 stages too, huge SRB who do most of the trust is an stage as I count it. Shuttle and Ariadne boosters is a stage, the atlas ones is an half stage. 
Falcon 9 is not optimized for GTO, because of its large second stage and RP-1 fuel. 

In KSP the standard is small second stages doing 500-1000 m/s because the orbital speed is so slow and you don't have time to burn long, if you burn directly for GEO or Mun you want more dV in upper stage and can actualy get ways with less TWR as you have more time to burn than going to 80 km

Just watched the Ariane 5 launch, the boosters did the Falcon 9 first stage work, second stage took it to 6 km/s and the tiny 3rd stage the last 3 km/s. 

Edited by magnemoe

18 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

It was fast, was not able to lock the start of burn on youtube , it looked like the pod tumbled a bit at the end, guess that is simply that the LES is designed to push it a bit sideway to get away from booster and that makes issues then the booster burns out and you move sideways. 

Overall very good work. 
However did the booster accelerate to reach 2500 MPH= 4000 km/h =  1.1 km/s, I thought they would start landing booster shortly after eject but it landed well after the capsule. It might be simpler to have it do its trajectory as they did not expected it to survive it was no reason to make an one time mission profile. 

Or they wanted to show off :)

Our booster survived and now we're going to put it into space with crappy aerodynamics, and land it yet again!

9 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Or they wanted to show off :)

Our booster survived and now we're going to put it into space with crappy aerodynamics, and land it yet again!

Or they wanted to burn off all that unused fuel so make the possible explosion smaller if it didn't land right.