Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

9 hours ago, tater said:

I wonder if they could put something in the trunk with a docking ring that could function as added life support/etc? Trunk separation from the upper stage would perhaps have this orbital module attached (in a way that can be separated) to the upper stage. So the vehicle separates, rotates, docks with this section, then has added capability. Obviously this would require actual astronaut pilots, or non-trivial amounts of training with the attitude control system in case automated docking fails.

I don't think it's possible to dock with something with such low mass. There needs to be a minimum force applied to the IDS docking rings for them to connect. If the target is too light, you risk bumping it away. It's not like in KSP with magical magnets. At the very least, your orbital module is going to need its own attitude control and batteries to stay steady.

Once you've fitted all that gear into the trunk, I'm not sure that the extra habitable volume is really worth the hassle.

Edited by Nibb31

12 hours ago, Nothalogh said:

They built Grasshopper just to prove it was possible

Falcon Heavy is just a couple Falcons tie-wrapped together, and yet it's taking the better part of a decade to get it made. Similar story with the SLS. Sometimes aerospace seems to have a way of making seemingly simple things not-so-simple, unless apparently they REALLY REALLY push for it. 

6 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I don't think it's possible to dock with something with such low mass. There needs to be a minimum force applied to the IDS docking rings for them to connect. If the target is too light, you risk bumping it away. It's not like in KSP with magical magnets. At the very least, your orbital module is going to need its own attitude control and batteries to stay steady.

Once you've fitted all that gear into the trunk, I'm not sure that the extra habitable volume is really worth the hassle.

Yeah, that I considered, which is why I thought I suggested that the orbital module could be under the trunk, but attached to the upper stage. Upon Dragon/trunk separation from the upper stage, the orbital module would be left at the top of the upper stage, and Dragon docked with it there. Then it is released from the upper stage.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes. Yes.

Had a Space X vehicle ever docked?
Say, unmanned Progress and ATV dock, not berth.

They have berthed so far. Docking is what D2 will do with crew.

You seem to miss the point. My question was in reply to a statement about docking failures if such an orbital module was necessary for the mission. Failing to dock after TLI would then obviously be a problem. So I asked if docking had ever failed on modern spacecraft (ISS). This would give some characterization of the chances of a failure.

40 minutes ago, tater said:

You seem to miss the point. My question was in reply to a statement about docking failures if such an orbital module was necessary for the mission. Failing to dock after TLI would then obviously be a problem. So I asked if docking had ever failed on modern spacecraft (ISS). This would give some characterization of the chances of a failure.

In 1997 an unmanned cargo was taken off automatic pilot and put on manual controls (with poor TV signals to guide it in).  The crash could have been much worse.

10 minutes ago, wumpus said:

In 1997 an unmanned cargo was taken off automatic pilot and put on manual controls (with poor TV signals to guide it in).  The crash could have been much worse.

Oh yeah, I remember that.

More on topic:

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Meanwhile 12000.

http://parabolicarc.com/2017/03/03/spacex-launch-12000-satellites/#more-60879

(Be jealous, unbelievers!)

P.S.
Probably the boring company builds a gatling.

Reminds me of the 4g frequency auctions we had in the early 2k's in Europe. Only now they aren't buying even air with their billions, just empty space.

Bezos is set to speak at the Satellite conference tomorrow, and is apparently to announce a lot of extra details, including confirming some specific customers. Seems some of it is coming out early.

...And that's when the Moon turns out to be no moon after all, and vaporizes him with a superlaser in disgust. :D

Meanwhile, we're edging closer to Echostar-23, currently NET this Sunday, March 12th. We haven't heard anything in a good while though. The rocket should be at KSC already, but there's not been a mention of a planned static fire yet.