Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, Firemetal said:

Mission success! Great launch, pretty disappointing lack of landing attempt, great two second stage burns and awesome spacecraft separation.  I have enjoyed sharing this with you guys. Now I'm going to attempt a landing on my bed. That was a radical pun there at the end. Good night.

Fire

Unlike SpaceX, tonight I shall make a landing attempt for EchoStar 23. Target: Droneship Of Course I Really Want To Go To Bed Right Now But I Can't Read The Instructions To Assemble My Bed.

OCIRWTGTBRNBICRTITAMB.

Rolls right off the tongue!

(Man. I want an ASDS blanket now. Like, REALLY BAD!)

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Unlike SpaceX, tonight I shall make a landing attempt for EchoStar 23. Target: Droneship Of Course I Really Want To Go To Bed Right Now But I Can't Read The Instructions To Assemble My Bed.

OCIRWTGTBRNBICRTITAMB.

Rolls right off the tongue!

(Man. I want an ASDS blanket now. Like, REALLY BAD!)

3 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Mission success! Great launch, pretty disappointing lack of landing attempt, great two second stage burns and awesome spacecraft separation.  I have enjoyed sharing this with you guys. Now I'm going to attempt a landing on my bed. That was a radical pun there at the end. Good night.

Fire

You guys are lucky. I have to leave for school in 15 minutes...

2 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Now I'm going to attempt a landing on my bed.

This. Commence bedroom chilldown! (Would so sleep in a LOX tank at night.)

6 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

You guys are lucky. I have to leave for school in 15 minutes...

...? Groom Lake sure starts school early these days... :confused:

4 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Heh.

I'm actually in Scandinavia, so the time makes sense (about as far away from Groom Lake as you can get...)

Lol me too i had to leave at t+2 min or something.  cmon school 

On 08/03/2017 at 8:09 PM, StrandedonEarth said:
Now they have a hat, he must be serious!

On 08/03/2017 at 9:03 PM, kunok said:

Clearly he also wants the team fortress 2 market

:3 i'm diggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin in the red, i m diggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin in the red and  i m happy agaaaaaaaaaaaaaain ^^ fun ^^ love it ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
. . .... hahahahahahahaahahahaha i agree indeed @kerbi the logo does it all ^^

5 hours ago, Exploro said:

The reuse of the 1st stage is a milestone in of itself. Hopefully with the next upgrade to the Falcon 9 will allow for recovery from missions with similar parameters to tonights launch.

Back up a moment here....

This was a reused first stage?

If not, sorry, I just woke up.

6 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Wouldn't the core booster of the F Heavy have to deal with these speeds? If so, I think this would be mostly intact.

Until it smashes into the ocean, of course.

EDIT: Loved Tom's guilty face as he was caught eating the pie :sticktongue: 

Presumably the core booster needs to spare lots of fuel for the backburn & reentry burns.  Still, I think landing the center booster will be a stretch and have pointed this out a lot (expect a big difference between the mass launched with three recovered boosters and two).

@Spaceception Good morning :P The SES-10 launch will feature the first reflown stage. It will either be the next launch from now, or the one after that - depending on whether or not a CRS flight gets pulled forward on NASA request. Right now It's tentatively NET March 27th.

(EDIT: The stage is already somewhere at the cape. A potential candidate was spotted here, but people aren't sure because it's not been repainted.)

Edited by Streetwind

Ya know, it's just not as interesting when they don't try to land the stage (or if it doesn't blow up). I know Musk isn't happy about throwing away a brand new stage, and I bet he'll be happier when expendable missions are flown on experienced used flight-proven stages

22 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ya know, it's just not as interesting when they don't try to land the stage (or if it doesn't blow up). I know Musk isn't happy about throwing away a brand new stage, and I bet he'll be happier when expendable missions are flown on experienced used flight-proven stages

AFAIK this was the last expendable mission for the falcon 9.......not sure if future heavy missions will have an expendable core though.

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Would they need to do that, tho? Last I saw, Cygnus is next in the pipe to the ISS.

I have no idea. I have only read (somewhere deep in a reddit thread) that there is a possibility that NASA will want to pull CRS Flight 11 forward. *shrug*

But well, "possibility" means it may not happen after all.

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So... anyone know why they made the change to the StrongBad? That is, dropping it at liftoff instead of beforehand like at Pad 40?

I would hazard the guess that they plan on doing it that way with the F9H, so they may as well get used to it now. Also, maybe the hardware at the new pad allows for it, while the old pad didn't? I believe Vandenberg was upgraded, did they drop the  strongback at liftoff during the last launch there?

30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I believe Vandenberg was upgraded, did they drop the  strongback at liftoff during the last launch there?

I don't think so, I think the first time they did that was CRS-10. Don't quote me on that, though.

Also, looks like SpaceX got themselves another GPS satellite! :) 

https://m.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/15/spacex_takes_96m_gps_launch_contract_from_ula/

Edited by TheEpicSquared

The new strongback is stronger and more robust, so it can handle the rapid pullaway. It's better, because it cradles the Falcon right up to the moment of launch, reducing the risk of wind shear damage. They're going to use this strongback for FH because it can support three cores at once.

10 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The new strongback is stronger and more robust, so it can handle the rapid pullaway. It's better, because it cradles the Falcon right up to the moment of launch, reducing the risk of wind shear damage.

0.o  If the winds are strong enough to cause damage on the pad - that's called a hurricane, and they won't be launching.

During the hosted webcast, a SpaceX person explained that the new strongback drops away much further during takeoff so that fewer components - especially the umbilicals - are affected and damaged by the exhaust plume from the engines. I would speculate that the strongback stays closer to the rocket pre-launch so that those umbilicals can be much shorter, which allows them to get out of the way even better.

They said that they want to avoid as much damage to the umbilicals and other components as possible, so they don't have to replace them between launches like they had to with the old strongback. Less work between launches means a cheaper and faster turnaround, which is their stated goal.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

They said that they want to avoid as much damage to the umbilicals and other components as possible, so they don't have to replace them between launches like they had to with the old strongback.

Such thing is called SILO, And they have a whole boring company to dig a underground rocketcity.