Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

17 minutes ago, CoreI said:

Woot woot!! SpaceX has done it again!

Anyone else hear unconfirmed rumors of a planned attempted fairing recovery for today's launch?

This is what I find on that. Didn't hear anything during the 'cast, though.

5 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Did anyone else see the grid fin burning up?

Oh yeah, I saw that. It was glowing just like in KSP (imagine that!) Then the camera lens got all speckled and the feed stopped. It was time to worry.

Frankly, my dear, I can't give a like!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

That had me worried. They didn't even do a boostback burn so this flight must have stressed the booster a lot.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Yeah, I got a little scared there. I don't remember ever seeing that happen there.

Although, if that left (from the webcast PoV) grid fin had given way and fallen off, would the rocket have been able to land? This may be the case considering that the Falcon 9 was built from the ground up with redundancy in mind. SpaceX has claimed that one engine can go out and the mission could be fine. But does the same apply for grid fins?

1 minute ago, Frozen_Heart said:

That had be worried. They didn't even do a boostback burn so this flight must have stressed the booster a lot.

Are they planning to re-reuse this booster, or is it destined to become a museum piece or similar fate? Perhaps it's a conscious decision to push the limits if it's the last flight, gather more data.

8 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

That had me worried. They didn't even do a boostback burn so this flight must have stressed the booster a lot.

I thought they did though.

Nvm. It was only the entry burn. But since the customer wants a piece of it on display then meh. It won't fly again. Besides, thanks to this they probably had an opportunity to gather extra data for much more agressive landing profile. Edit: ninja'd by @CSE

Edited by Veeltch

Just now, CoreI said:

Yeah, I got a little scared there. I don't remember ever seeing that happen there.

Although, if that left (from the webcast PoV) grid fin had given way and fallen off, would the rocket have been able to land? This may be the case considering that the Falcon 9 was built from the ground up with redundancy in mind. SpaceX has claimed that one engine can go out and the mission could be fine. But does the same apply for grid fins?

That was just the aint on the gridfin, I think the structure was designed with that sort of stress in mind.

Just now, CSE said:

Are they planning to re-reuse this booster, or is it destined to become a museum piece or similar fate? Perhaps it's a conscious decision to push the limits if it's the last flight, gather more data.

I think it is planned to be donated.

Just now, Veeltch said:

I thought they did though.

They only did re-entry burn and landing burn. No boostback at all from what i saw.

Just now, Frozen_Heart said:

I think it is planned to be donated.

They only did re-entry burn and landing burn. No boostback at all from what i saw.

Isn't boostback just for on-land landing at the cape?

4 minutes ago, CSE said:

I think it was posted farther up that it will be donated for SES to display.

It was hard to hear parts of the hosted webcast over all that cheering!

At the risk of sounding pessimistic (and also to play devil's advocate), I think historians will more likely mark today as the day SpaceX finally made good on promises it has been making for the best part of a decade now :P

4 minutes ago, Steel said:

At the risk of sounding pessimistic (and also to play devil's advocate), I think historians will more likely mark today as the day SpaceX finally made good on promises it has been making for the best part of a decade now :P

In Elon's little speech, he said they'd been working on it for 15 years. This day has been a long time coming!

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong person. Fixed

Edited by StrandedonEarth

38 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

This thread has used up my allotment of likes for today.

The Age of Re-flight has begun!

(Ok, Shuttle did reflight too, but with an much, much more expensive turnaround)

I'm curious ... do you know how expensive this turnaround actually was?

33 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Looked like it was getting pretty toasty, yes.

6 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I'm curious ... do you know how expensive this turnaround actually was?

As far as I know, estimates put it somewhere between 1 and 1.5 billion dollars. That's counting refurbishing the Shuttle, recovering and refurbishing the boosters, and rebuilding the exterior tank.

41 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

That seems to happen more often.

49 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

(Ok, Shuttle did reflight too, but with an much, much more expensive turnaround)

It is not really a reflight if half the craft is new. The Shuttle was neat, but the reusability was more of a sales pitch than it was reality.