Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

If the EFT-1 launches on schedule (7:05 AM EST Thursday) and you live in Australia, you may have a chance to see Orion pass overhead at dusk 55 min after launch. Those in the southwestern U.S. may see the first orbital pass 95 minutes after launch.

EFT-1.jpg

From the Orion blog.

"Meteorologists have not changed their prediction for Thursday morning’s weather and they continue to call for a 60 percent chance of acceptable conditions for Orion’s lift off on its first flight test. The launch window opens at 7:05 a.m. EST and closes 2 hours, 39 minutes later at about 9:44 a.m. The concern remains early morning precipitation at or near the Florida spaceport. NASA reserved the Eastern Range for Friday and Saturday as well, in case Thursday’s launch opportunity is not made."

Journey to Mars briefing. Noon EST.

www.nasa.gov/nasatv

Can't wait! Sucks I gotta get up early to watch it though. I'm pretty confident it'll get postponed however. With all thats happened in the past weeks I'm sure all it'd take is for someone to fart in the wrong direction. And I wouldn't blame them.

Oh and btw Aethon thanks for keeping the thread up to date all this time.

From the Orion Blog :

"Meteorologists upgraded their outlook for Orion’s launch tomorrow morning to give it a 70 percent chance of acceptable conditions. The forecast says drier conditions are expected and the chance of coastal showers has diminished during the 2-hour, 39-minute launch window. The primary rules concerns remain flight through precipitation and high winds.With less than 23 hours remaining before Orion begins its first flight test with a launch on a Delta IV Heavy rocket, everything remains on track for liftoff at 7:05 a.m. EST. The Mobile Service Tower enclosing the rocket and spacecraft will be rolled back to its launch position late tonight, revealing the Orion stack on the launch stand at Space Launch Complex 37.

Launch and mission control teams will report to their consoles in Florida and Houston at about 3:30 a.m. EST. Our continuous countdown, launch and mission coverage will begin at 4:30 a.m. here on the Orion Blog and on NASA TV which is available on air and streaming atwww.nasa.gov/nasatv"

Also the entire NASA page has been taken over by all things Orion.

http://www.nasa.gov/

Todays' events:

Journey to Mars panel discussion 12:00 PM EST

Orion flight test status and overview briefing 1:00 PM

http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

Nichelle Nichols ( Lt. Ohura ) Comunicates the Sit. Rep. ( Takes a while to load and play. Wait for it. )

http://www.space.com/27408-original-star-trek-s-uhuru-promos-nasa-s-orion-capsule-video.html#ooid=xhaW1kcTr8w0Ht6hqzIUoHdqokLTeNSs

IMG_4885_1a_Orion_Ken-Kremer.jpg

The Moon hangs above EFT-1 on the pad.

Edited by Aethon

This decade looks to be an exciting one for 'space enthusiasts'.

Well, ignoring the 60s and 70s :P

- - - Updated - - -

Let's just hope that the rocket wont fail. I can't wait to see the launch!

If it does, they'll gain data from it, but their "reputation bar" will lower.

well if it does fail then it will be a good test for the LES (which i think is a full LES, not just an inert mass tester)

From the website posted by Aethon:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/orionfirstflight/

"As it punches into Earth orbit, Orion will jettison its Launch Abort System. While only the jettison motor is active on the flight test, on future missions it will be capable of pulling Orion and its crew out of danger if there is a problem with the rocket during ascent."

So, it appears the LES will only have the jettison motor active this flight and possibly wouldn't be able to pull Orion from a failing rocket for the first flight.

Anybody interested in watching the launch with real time chat can come join us at the Steam Kerbal Space Program Forum chat room. Just search for it in Groups on Steam and enter as a guest. We'll make you a member.

We have most of the upcoming launches listed as events and have a lot of fun watching together. Would love to see some recurring new members.

I just looked at the ∆v of the Orion, and it's a measly 1340m/s, according to Wikipedia. And they are talking about taking this to Mars? Even with the Prop Module, it doesn't seem like that would be feasible.

Lol I'd ask why, but hey WHY NOT?! ... Yea its ashame the LES isn't fully functional. IF the rocket does fail it'd be a hell of a demonstration to see that launch tower pull the capsule away. But the rocket won't fail..

Still though. After all thats happened in the past weeks what's the logic behind not having a functional escape system on this flight? God forbid something happens and.. not good. Not good for the program. Itd be a huge setback.

Still though. After all thats happened in the past weeks what's the logic behind not having a functional escape system on this flight? God forbid something happens and.. not good. Not good for the program. Itd be a huge setback.

If the LES goes off spuriously, the mission is a failure. If the LES has a good reason to go off, the mission is a failure.

If the LES goes off spuriously, the mission is a failure. If the LES has a good reason to go off, the mission is a failure.

Indeed. But it'd be alot worse to see the capsule go up in flames then to see it being pulled away and saved. This is all hypothetical of course.

I just looked at the ∆v of the Orion, and it's a measly 1340m/s, according to Wikipedia. And they are talking about taking this to Mars? Even with the Prop Module, it doesn't seem like that would be feasible.

Orion doesn't go to Mars on its own. It would be a tiny piece of the Mars spaceship.

Indeed. But it'd be alot worse to see the capsule go up in flames then to see it being pulled away and saved. This is all hypothetical of course.

It wouldn't change anything. Even if the Delta does blow up, it has no bearing on the Orion program.

Edited by Nibb31