[Artwork] A scale image of a Kerbol system Update July 9

GeneralIssue

Spent a few hours fighting GIMP to make this scale draft of a potential Kerbol system. The planets and moons are all to scale with the star, obviously the distances are not.

As seen below, a comparison between the old and new models:

kVqEC.png

I took the time to convert each body in the system to a faux-3D model:

2l63P.jpg

\'Semotus (bn)\' indicates that it\'s a binary planet system.

The idea came to me because I had already done a doodle of Immaniis for another thread, like so:

[spoiler=]LbgwZ.png

That\'s Toremaia in the foreground.

Edit: Thanks, Ascensiam for the [artwork] tag. I forgot :-X

Also, I tried making a complete scale model of the system, but I ended up at 1/10,000th scale before I quit. It was 99.999% black space, with planets that would have literally been smaller than a single pixel...

Edit 2 July 3: Added info cards for each planet and moon, and a few scale fixes and tweaks to radii. Also, Kerbin\'s atmosphere is blank because I\'m not really sure what exactly to put there...is it like earth? Higher CO2 content? We just don\'t know. ???

Edited by Kaufman

My idea was that Contritium was ruined a long time ago by a huge impact event that formed the asteroids. Sort of how a large impactor collided with earth to form the moon; in this case though Contritium did not completely survive the impact. It did however, result in a smaller body (Lanoidus) that is roughly comparable to our Ceres.

Mostly my imagination ;). The Semotus binary is pretty rough Latin, and Contritium literally means \'broken\', but most of it it is mine.

Also I\'m going to put up an updated map here in a few minutes. It\'s got SmA\'s if anyone wants to know some more gee-whiz info on these planets.

\'Azure\' means \'blue\'.

Yeah I forgot that in my post...

Anyway, I\'m working on quasi-3D renders of each planet and moon, but it\'s a ton of work. I\'ve replaced Vausta, Marok, Kerbin, and the Mun, but as you can plainly see there are quite a few more planets to do. I think the most difficult thing will be Kerbol. I tried doing work on it last night but it just looked horrible. Maybe I was too drunk I don\'t know.

I refuse to quit!!

e: work continues, I\'m up to immaniis, which is I think the most difficult. Rings and all.

Here, in payment of my tardiness take this rad track:

Very nice, I was just going to say that Contritium can\'t officially be a planet as it hasn\'t cleared its orbit and then you said it was comparable to Ceres, a dwarf planet and suddenly it makes sense.

In my mind\'s eye I can basically see Contritium getting mussed up a few million years ago, giving us asteroids and Lanoidus. It basically toes the line between planet and a Major Belt Object (Lanoidus would be a MBO). It\'s on the very outer reaches of the asteroids, and is just over 1 AU away from Immaniis\' orbit. The problem lies now in how exactly it cooled into an irregular shape post impact...I put stock into the fact that it is very poor in dense metallic elements, and the existing \'atmosphere\' (remaining dust cloud from the impact) is primarily low-molar mass oxide compounds and silicates. It\'s a very low density planet, and most likely cooled into it\'s current shape before it could reach hydrostatic equilibrium.

:stirpot: Science!!

The problem is, you developed this almost a year after NovaSilisko made his, and a month after mincespy posted his. That\'s fine, because yours is every bit as good an effort as theirs was! I personally like yours and Nova\'s about equally.

Okay so there is a TINY problem with the idea of other planets.

I tried doing 3 low orbits around the sun and returning and syncing up orbits with kerbin ( even when coming at each other in opposite directions) is SUPER hard

I tried doing 3 low orbits around the sun and returning and syncing up orbits with kerbin ( even when coming at each other in opposite directions) is SUPER hard

That\'s the difficulty in it. Extra planets would be better than more Muns.

The problem is, you developed this almost a year after NovaSilisko made his, and a month after mincespy posted his. That\'s fine, because yours is every bit as good an effort as theirs was! I personally like yours and Nova\'s about equally.

Yeah I didn\'t really follow the fanfiction forum at all until I decided to post the OP, so when I started browsing more frequently my stuff just seemed hideously outdated and redundant, thats all. Situational awareness is key as I learned in my ammo days; et cetera, et alumni.

Yeah, Delta V becomes more of a huge deal the faster you\'re going. That\'s why the Oberth effect is pretty rad if you want to get farther out of a gravity well. Doesn\'t really help you slow down or change planes or whatever though

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.