Ares - The Start of a Grand Expedition

Hello Kerbonauts,

I want to make another attempt at documenting some of the things I do in KSP. Currently, after having become somewhat burnt out in Science gameplay, I am playing in Sandbox. I am roleplaying somewhat. It goes like this: After living through an energy crisis, the reception of an artificial signal from beyond Jool orbit triggers an unprecedented unification of space exploration efforts on Kerbin. All the great nations have come together and erected the KSC as a monument of the voyage, they are about to embark on.

It has been decided, that an expedition shall be sent of to Jool and probably to Eeloo to find out, what the source of the strange signal is. The problem is, that years of energy crisis and other priorities than space exploration led to decisive lack of space exploration technology. It all has to be developed. So it has been decided, that a great space station shall be built first, to learn about space exploration. There is still not enough fuel, they will have to look for other sources on Mun or Minmus. So, there is lots to do.

This program was called "Ares".

Chapter I - The Space Station

The first chapter of this story will be about the space station. A design team assembled at KSC came up with a plan for a modular station, which could be built fairly easy, with the available technology. Still, it was a serious effort and only two nations had rockets available, that were able to lift the modules - the United Kerbal States and the Eastern Union. Other states would make contributions later on. The Eastern Union would launch a Core Module, a Service Module and later on an Expandable Habitat. The UKS were responsible for the labs and a large integrated truss struction, which would carry solar panels, radiators and fuel.

Here's a first blue print of the station.

front_KSS_1.jpg

View from astern

front_KSS_2.jpg

View from the front

~~~

Author's notes: You will see a passing familiarity with a certain space station circling our wonderful little planet. This is intended, as it was my prototype, but at the same time I do not want to build a replica. Next time, I'll showcase some of the rockets I will use to launch stuff and show a photostory of the first modules, that go up (hopefully not into flames).

Thanks and have a good one,

Sebastian

Edited by StarStreak2109

Chapter II - The K7 Rocket

The first module of the new space station to go into orbit was the Station Core. It provided the "nerve center" of the station, life support, storage and a couple of docking ports. As it was typical for Eastern Union engineering, it was a sturdy piece of work - to be taken aloft on board a K7 rocket. Being born as an inter-continental ballistic missile, it now served more peaceful purposes as a heavy lifting rocket.

Here is the blueprint of the K7:

front_KSS-01%20Station%20Core_1.png

The day of the launch of the first module was somewhat cloudy, but the morning sun did its best to fight through the mist, as the K7 stood ready to take to the skies.

screenshot59.png

And we have lift-off!

screenshot68.png

At 40 km altitude, the four LRBs separate in a famous cross-like formation and leave the center sustainer engine push the rocket even further...

screenshot80.png

screenshot81.png

Far above the atmosphere, but still suborbital, we have stage sep and a few seconds later the fairings are being jettisoned...

screenshot83.png

screenshot84.png

The payload up close, while we coast to apoapsis...

screenshot85.png

Circularization!

screenshot86.png

~~~

Author's Notes: With that, I leave you for tonight. Hope you enjoyed this so far, your feedback is most welcome!

Happy landings,

Sebastian

Welcome Back to the Ares Mission!

Today, we will join two further missions as the construction of the KSS continues. For the first launch, we will see another K7 sending up the station service module. This launch was pushed ahead of schedule, since a controller failure on the core module prevented the successful deployment of the solar panels. The scientist back at mission control were optimistic however that with the functioning secondary controller on the service module, this problem will be remedied. Secondly, the United Kerbal States introduce their Jool-4 launch vehicle, a medium rocket for the smaller modules of the station. We will take a closer look at the Jool-4 in a future post. The standard mission profile of the Jool-4 is however to boost the payload onto a rendezvous trajectory and the use a small tug (the "Orbital Maneuvering Unit" or "OMU") to finalize rendezvous. The second launch today will send up the "Node 1" in preparation for the first manned mission to the station.

Mission: KSS-02 - Service Module

screenshot90.png

The K7 with the KSS Service Module standing by on the pad.

screenshot94.png

Storming skyward...

screenshot96.png

Shortly before MECO, the plume extends widely in the thinning air.

screenshot98.png

Stage sep confirmed...

screenshot99.png

...and opening of the fairings!

screenshot103.png

After release from the upper stage, the Service Module performs final maneuvers under its own power before rendezvous and docking.

screenshot108.png

Docking confirmed...

screenshot111.png

...and the crowd at Mission Control goes wild, as telemetry indicates opening of all four solar panels.

Mission: KSS-03 - Node 1

screenshot114.png

This is a night launch...

screenshot116.png

...showing of the improved (but still optimizable) new plumes from RealPlume...

screenshot118.png

...as the Jool-4 rocket soars into the night sky, undoubtedly looked at through many telescopes in that town down there.

screenshot119.png

Awesome plume just before MECO!

screenshot125.png

On final approach: Node 1 with its OMU attached...

screenshot128.png

...and basking in the sunlight!

The next mission will be a first trial of a Multipurpose Crew Vehicle, brought in by the UKS, which will be the primary crew ferry. Astronauts Jebediah and Bill Kerman's mission will be to check the station and perform an EVA to remove launch hardware, which we do not need anymore.

So, that's it for today, have a good remaining sunday!

• 2 weeks later...

hofRROP.png

Hello Kerbonauts!

Bad news, so-so news and good news.

Bad news, the KSS as I showed you, has died. Something with Infernal Robotics didn't seem to agree with it. Suddenly, some of the joints didn't work any more, and any attempt to use them would create phantom forces, that would nearly rip the station apart. I guess I did something wrong. Also the station exceeded 300 parts, which forced my pretty beefy notebook to a crawl.

So-so news: I tried out the new 1.1. While it shows promise regarding overall performance, I had some trouble with unexplainable CTDs (didn't even create error logs...) and besides, I am still missing some mods, so I'll wait a bit before making the jump (no pun intended).

Good news, the KSS will relaunch with almost 100 parts less. What's more, I found what I did wrong with part welding, so I will weld my own parts, hoping to get the station in the realm of a 100 or so parts. Using an amalgamate of Tantares, Kosmos, Near Future Construction and CX Aerospace, behold the new KSS:

front_KSS_3.png

screenshot13.png

On that occasion, let us jump back a bit in time...

Spectre Alpha

Spectre Alpha was a remnant of the bad old days, when the 'Kold War' between the Eastern Union and the United Kerbal States was still in full swing. When the emerging energy crisis put a stop to petty political differences, the Eastern Unions 'Spectre' program was terminated. Some of the old satellites, still waiting for a launch that would never come, were repurposed as scientific reconnaissance satellites, doing radiotelemetry work. One such sattelites was launched a few years ago, as part of the Spectre Alpha mission. Put into a polar Molnya orbit, it was set to listen for the harmonic rumble of the gas giant Jool. What the Kerbals didn't yet know was that it was to pick up more than resonance from the very active magnetic field of Jool...

Here we watch the launch and orbital insertion of Spectre Alpha on the top of a KR-500 rocket.

screenshot19.png

Ignition!

screenshot20.png

Soaring into the skies...

screenshot24.png

First stage sep!

screenshot29.png

Acceleration from the parking orbit into the Molnya orbit.

screenshot31.png

Separation from the upper stage...

screenshot37.png

Drifting far above Kerbin listening for the rythm of the stars...

Next time, I will hopefully launch the first modules of the next iteration of KSS, freshly welded!

See ya later, Kerbonauts!

Edited by StarStreak2109

I love the look of Spectre Alpha! Have you thought of uploading your craft to KerbalX? I'd love to rip them apart and get a look at your design choices and style...I'm currently at somewhat of a designer's block, and I need inspiration!  

Hi @MrMeeb

That particular satellite got slapped together in about 10 seconds or so...

r1ozer5.png

The satellite dishes come from Ven's Stock Revamp 1.9.2, the inline battery is from Near Future Electrics, solar panels from Near Future Solar, some Surface Lights and the monoprop tanks and RCS are from Kosmos pack. The rest is stock parts! :)

Hope that helps.

hofRROP.png

So, I'm still not yet ready to make the switch over to 1.1.2, since a key mod is still missing (basically all of @Nertea's mods), but that's no problem, I am learning so much while still doing stuff in 1.0.5!

In stead of covering each launch one by one, here are some highlights!

The first of the big radiator truss sections has been brought into orbit by a Jool-4 rocket and is now being moved into position by the station's construction tug.

ZseExoc.png

Here we see the KSS with both radiator sections attached. The solar panel module, which was temporarily attached to the zenith side of the station will soon be relocated to the starboard side.

5dYgdmT.png

Here we see the tug in the process of wrestling the solar truss into position.

XMQ2siI.png

And with the giant solar panels extended, while soaring over the great canyon!

I3D5aZz.png

In order to get the solar panel trusses into space, the UKS had to use their biggest rockets available, not because of the weight, but because of the volume of the modules - the Kerbol-5.

O31YpRa.png

Some months later, we spot the tug repositioning to it's resting place, casting a shadow on the solar panels...

iVWIe4f.png

The Eastern Union provides freight traffic to the station with their reliable K7 rocket and the 'Independence' freight ship. Here while taking off into a glorious sunset...

IFa8qew.png

And while coasting above Kerbin...

LfYqCW5.png

Last but not least, we take a glimpse at the UKS' 'Phoenix' class crew ferry.

vfkSz82.png

That's it for now, Kerbonauts. I'm posting this from the airport, since I'm one trip to Chicago. I'll probably post the next pictures after my return to Germany.

See ya,

Sebastian

This is looking fantastic so far!

If you're still experiencing CTDs whilst in 1.1.2, cull any pre-1.1.2 mods - yeah, even ones from 1.1.1. I have zero mods that aren't for 1.1.2 right now, and I haven't experienced a single crash, either from the editors or in-flight.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Kerbonauts!

Back from Chicago and into the treadmill of work, I finally get the chance to take a look at this piece of work... :)

Well I tried carrying all the stuff over to 1.1.3 but it won't do. So I am looking at a reboot. At the same time I am also fed up of having a Kerbal version of the Proton rocket with it's lower stage virtually being an SSTO. A while ago I tried out KScale6.4, but that was a bit too hefty for my lousy flying skills, but it seems that KScale2 might be just what I am looking for. Hence I am just in the progress of whipping up a juicy install with all the eye candy one could hope for. Man, being able to use 64bit and having 16 gigs of RAM really is a blast! Holy Jebediah!

Anyways, stay tuned for a relaunch of the Ares Program in the near future, coming to a thread near you! :D

hofRROP.png

Relaunch!

Dear Fellow Kerbonauts!

It is on this day that we travel back in time! Back to the bad old days, when Kerbalkind was still fractured, each faction striving for their own little goals. We are back on the day, when the Eastern Union launches the Spectre Alpha satellite, with the intent on spying on its rival, the United Kerbal States (UKS) and accidentally detects a strange, an alien signal emanating from somewhere around Jool.

There has been some redesign, but I think it looks cool this way:

Here we are at the Kosmodrome, the mighty KR-5000 rocket stands by for launch!

MWGOeci.png

Arcing into the sky...

apB3Fda.png

Separation of the lower stage just above the atmosphere!

qA3WTGE.png

After attaining orbit, the second stage is jettisoned as well, leaving it the the third stage to push the payload into the polar Molnya orbit....

kK50PrE.png

Ignition! The final push outwards...

F20wjmZ.png

Burn complete, solar panels extended.

0EpZpiz.png

We don't need the upper stage anymore!

iqhd5Cq.png

Final collision avoidance manouver...

OU04fNM.png

Additional antennae and sensors deploying now... WHAT'S THAT SIGNAL!!!???

8jxAwWc.png

That's it for tonight! Hope you enjoyed! SInce I took those images, I ramped up the visuals using SVE, hope the next batch of images are yet better!

See ya later,

Sebastian

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2016 at 4:13 PM, StarStreak2109 said:

hofRROP.png

Relaunch!

Dear Fellow Kerbonauts!

It is on this day that we travel back in time! Back to the bad old days, when Kerbalkind was still fractured, each faction striving for their own little goals. We are back on the day, when the Eastern Union launches the Spectre Alpha satellite, with the intent on spying on its rival, the United Kerbal States (UKS) and accidentally detects a strange, an alien signal emanating from somewhere around Jool.

There has been some redesign, but I think it looks cool this way:

Here we are at the Kosmodrome, the mighty KR-5000 rocket stands by for launch!

MWGOeci.png

Arcing into the sky...

apB3Fda.png

Separation of the lower stage just above the atmosphere!

qA3WTGE.png

After attaining orbit, the second stage is jettisoned as well, leaving it the the third stage to push the payload into the polar Molnya orbit....

kK50PrE.png

Ignition! The final push outwards...

F20wjmZ.png

Burn complete, solar panels extended.

0EpZpiz.png

We don't need the upper stage anymore!

iqhd5Cq.png

Final collision avoidance manouver...

OU04fNM.png

Additional antennae and sensors deploying now... WHAT'S THAT SIGNAL!!!???

8jxAwWc.png

That's it for tonight! Hope you enjoyed! SInce I took those images, I ramped up the visuals using SVE, hope the next batch of images are yet better!

See ya later,

Sebastian

What mods are you using, this game looks amazing

I LOVE this ! Much effort put into the posts ^_^

Also is that RealismOverhaul ? i thought it needed RSS to work . (i'm trying to make Realplume work with my non Rss ksp)

Again i have to say . its very awesome :lol: KOCMOC:lol: , united kerbal states:lol: those logos are very well done !

Nice job.

Hi, @Alpha_Mike_741,

thanks for the kind words! First of all, I may have to make a re-relaunch, since I ran into a couple of issues, which needed solving. I am now running a new install using KScale2 and a whole bunch of mods. I am planning of fast forwarding the story to the point I left of a couple of posts up (ie. to the point where the KSS space station is almost complete).

Regarding the flags, I cannot take any credit, they come with with the stock game respectively the Kosmos pack. I just use the real world flags and come up with a Kerbal name for it. So the UK Space Agency becomes the United Kerbal Space agency... :wink:

Next weekend my wife and I are leaving for our summer vacation, with any luck, I may be able to post a quick update. Basically, the space station is almost finished. We are expecting the completion of the Eastern Union segment of the station with additional science modules. The guys back at the lab are already spinning up the next phase of the project - the development of the ISRU and habitation technology to make the long journey out to Jool feasible and survivable. Also we are looking into launching one or more pathfinder probes out to Jool for some advance reconnaissance!

Regarding my install, I must say, that combined with KScale2, many rockets get a much more realistic look. With stock KSP, you can make quite squat (not Squad! :lol:) rockets, which look silly because they are so short. Now for instance, the Tantares Soyuz and Proton need their third stage to lift a sensible payload into low Kerbin orbit. Still overpowered IMHO is the BDB Atlas V, but here I tweaked the cfg to be more in line with other rocket engines.

@The-Doctor, I try to list the more prominent mods, which are visible in the screenshots:

1. KScale2
  2. EVE
  3. Scatterer
  4. Tantares and TantaresLV
  5. Blue Dog Design Bureau
  6. KW Rocketry
  7. Coatl Aerospace Probes Plus
  8. Ven's Stock Revamp
  9. All of Nertea's Near Future packs
  10. CxAerospace
  11. Kosmos Pack

Best wishes!

Edited by StarStreak2109

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.