[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

3 hours ago, inigma said:

Is the tail a Mk 3 part though? Anyone confirm?

Do you mean the empennage or the tail parts used for the wing?  The rudder and elevator are the old elevons (I think Elevon 2 and 3?).  The wings are the FAT-455 tails, which aren't a Mk.3 profile part or otherwise associated with the Mk.3 fuselage system aside from being added in the same update.  If you want, I can add additional control surfaces & disable the tails' built-in control surface, but I'd rather not replace the entire wing; I really like how they look.

3 hours ago, Bananders said:

What a beautiful airplane!

Thanks.  

4 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

See below for your answer to competition mode not working ... you have to add a couple lines to the AI antenna config file

Also, each weapon in AA has different muzzle velocities and damage ... Cyclic rate is one thing but how fast your bullet leaves the barrel is another one

Some weapons shoot at a lower cyclic rate than others but their muzzle velocity is higher so it is easier to hit your opponent ... AA's weapons were researched and balanced to simulate real world weapons from the WW2 era

Thanks for the fix.

I've played enough flight sims to be aware of muzzle velocity influencing drop - that's why I specifically mentioned the MK108s, which had that issue in real life as well.  However, it's fairly common to account for that and aim upwards slightly; I'm wondering why the BDA AI doesn't.  The 12.7mm AN/M2 has a negligibly higher muzzle velocity than the Hispano Mk.2 anyways, and the Hispano's muzzle velocity is very high compared to German cannons or the ShVAK.

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Hi guys,

I think I have found the issue with Vessel Mover regarding spawn vessels. The problem is when you apply a re-root to your vessel then Vessel Mover will freak out with some part connected to your new root.

Known issue with @nightingale Contract Configurator's spawn vessel function from which Vessel Mover is derived.

2 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

Do you mean the empennage or the tail parts used for the wing?  The rudder and elevator are the old elevons (I think Elevon 2 and 3?).  The wings are the FAT-455 tails, which aren't a Mk.3 profile part or otherwise associated with the Mk.3 fuselage system aside from being added in the same update.  If you want, I can add additional control surfaces & disable the tails' built-in control surface, but I'd rather not replace the entire wing; I really like how they look.

Ok I'll permit for now. Just want to make sure it doesn't have a heat resistance advantage vs other wing parts. Can you repost your entry for me?

2 hours ago, inigma said:

Known issue with @nightingale Contract Configurator's spawn vessel function from which Vessel Mover is derived.

Ok I'll permit for now. Just want to make sure it doesn't have a heat resistance advantage vs other wing parts. Can you repost your entry for me?

It's 1200 K, half that of the other airplane parts (which are all 2400 K), at least according to the KSP wiki.  If anything it's a disadvantage, but I just like the wing profile too much to consider giving it up unless I'm made to do so.

Here's the link again, although I'll be changing it; it consistently loses to the (old) SI-5 in a one-on-one for some reason despite having much better performance on paper.  I've already made a C version that has a much lighter cockpit made of wing panels and radiators.

If anyone wants to use it, you can use my RK-7 fighter aircraft.

It is supermaneuverable, and one of the easiest to fly planes I have ever built, my Rk8 model is too hard to fly for me to suggest here, but it offers really good performance with practice.

The Rk9 is a continuation of the Rk-7 designed for intercepting purposes though, so it's not a fighter.

https://kerbalx.com/He_162/RK7

Edited by He_162

Alright, I wanna talk about how ASC-III matches will be set up. I remember seeing early on something about AA emplacements for each team, to mitigate one team chasing the other out of the 'arena'. In my testing I've been seeing plenty of this, but I've also been seeing one team disengaging and putting 2-3 kilometers between them and their opponent, which drastically lengthens the match and turns it into a competition on who sips fuel most efficiently.

23 minutes ago, inigma said:

The ASC hosts are actively working on the first match. Just running into AI glitchy fun.

If you're talking about the AI not firing guns, I've run into that a lot too. I found that firing all the guns manually on each craft before combat usually fixes it.

46 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

If you're talking about the AI not firing guns, I've run into that a lot too. I found that firing all the guns manually on each craft before combat usually fixes it.

Thanks! I'll try that. I've got first hosting dibs (fyi to the readers) so I'll post the first match soon. Was hoping to last night, but had AI issues.  The whole carrier launching thing also won't work very well, since when you attempt to move in a vessel with vessel mover onto the carrier in the water, as soon as it comes in physics range, the carrier will launch 3km straight up into the sky, and fall back down. Quite a feat if you ask me.  If I hack gravity, I have no such issue, but because wheels are so unpredictable in KSP 1.1.2 planes keep drifting off the carrier.  It's actually quite sad. KSP is bugged, BDA is bugged. ASC-III may be simpler in terms of plane design, but it's on expert level when it comes to hosting a carrier vs land fight. :)  I think I'll just stick to the standard duel over KSC with participants starting in the grass facing opposite directions off the runway with a 5km engagement rule. Still testing. When the match is posted, we'll have a definite on the match setup rules. My goal is to make it easy to setup for the hosts, since this will make it easy for players to test as well.

Edited by inigma

1 hour ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

For the carrier, would welding it to the sea floor via quantum struts fix the issue?
Alternatively, the BAD-T arena pack comes with a WWI-ish carrier, and you could always throw a pair off the coast of the Airfield Island somewhere:
EZBhaQq.png

Hmm. I'll be exploring options.  Man I really want AA nests now... heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.