Challenge: Go to A moon/planet without recharging the batteries

Super Easy: To Orbit and back

Easy: to the Mun orbit

Normal: To Mun landing and Back

Hard: Interplanetary orbit
                       Extreme: Interplanetary landing and back

Rules:

1.Stock ships only

2. No generating power (solar panels, etc.)

3. Points for percent of Electric Charge

Winners!    (This could be you)

1._____JacobJHC__

2.__Jetski_____________

3.___________________

Edited by S0NofThunder176
Cause

10 hours ago, Jhawk1099 said:

@S0NofThunder176 what @JacobJHC said. The majority of engines in the game produce electricity while burning. Does this mean you can't use any engines that also have alternators or is that the only time recharging your battery is allowed?

12 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

What if the engines generate electricity and refuel the battery? Are we not allowed to use engines like that?

No these engines are fine (your not burning the engine all the time)

12 hours ago, Bluegillbronco2 said:

What are the rules for locking the batteries?

Well no locking because the ship would have so many bonus points!

Yeah, you just need to stack up the batteries. I did it early in my "100 Worlds" save, though not eligible for this challenge.

Pic

Sorry for dreadful dark picture, but it's basically two 1.25m service bays each stuffed with 16 or so of the small batteries. That was enough to last the transfer.

2 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Hmm, how will we prove that we have done it?

@Atlas2342 Screenshots Man!

1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

The answer to this challenge is MOAR batteries.

5 minutes ago, cantab said:

Yeah, you just need to stack up the batteries. I did it early in my "100 Worlds" save, though not eligible for this challenge.

Pic

Sorry for dreadful dark picture, but it's basically two 1.25m service bays each stuffed with 16 or so of the small batteries. That was enough to last the transfer.

Exactly That was the point

2 hours ago, Nich said:

Yes as long as you turn SAS off batteries should last forever right?  Any burn greater then 10 dv should fully recharge them.  I have been playing TAC for a while

Just do the challenge! I mean Whatever floats your "rocket". turn off the sas and burn the engines but it does not matter to me!

@S0NofThunder176 Thanks, this was helpful and glad for such a simple yet possibly difficult challenge. When I was going through to see waht engines didn't use Alternators I got concerned because I could only use about 5 engines, non of which had a thrust bigger than 16 in atmosphere. Lol

Also, is there a badge for this challenge, if not could I make one?

On 4/9/2016 at 1:02 PM, JacobJHC said:

@S0NofThunder176 Thanks, this was helpful and glad for such a simple yet possibly difficult challenge. When I was going through to see waht engines didn't use Alternators I got concerned because I could only use about 5 engines, non of which had a thrust bigger than 16 in atmosphere. Lol

Also, is there a badge for this challenge, if not could I make one?

Go For it I would love that!

• 2 weeks later...

@S0NofThunder176 

Here are the badges

http://imgur.com/a/onFoo 

My entry is coming soon, I had a great entry but I screwed it up and Jeb found himself stuck on Ike.

-Also regarding the battery locking, if we are not allowed to lock how do we keep the ship from using it all during time warp?

Edited by JacobJHC

On 4/27/2016 at 8:53 PM, JacobJHC said:

@S0NofThunder176 

Here are the badges

http://imgur.com/a/onFoo 

My entry is coming soon, I had a great entry but I screwed it up and Jeb found himself stuck on Ike.

-Also regarding the battery locking, if we are not allowed to lock how do we keep the ship from using it all during time warp?

Awesome Badge! and during time warp (not psychics warp) batteries don't drain

On 4/27/2016 at 4:07 PM, killakrust said:

Shouldn't points be awarded based on the least amount of electric charge used, rather than 'most electric charge'? Otherwise people will just use silly amounts of batteries.

Yes they should I'll fix that

So I landed on Mun, Minmus, and Eeloo without using any ElectricCharge.  Used about 12 units of Mono, and just toggled Torque off in the Lander can, steering primarily with engine gimbal and occasional bumps of RCS.  Flew an asparagus staged Terrier with a Poodle core up on a big lifter.  Wasn't really intending to land anywhere, so the Poodle sticks out and makes all the landings wonky.  Had the alternator running on the Poodle, but didn't need it as total consumption was 0.  I'll say this was proof of concept, and we could have gone anywhere.  No battery locking or other shenanigans used.  Do I get a badge?

Edited by Jetski

On 5/2/2016 at 9:17 PM, Jetski said:

So I landed on Mun, Minmus, and Eeloo without using any ElectricCharge.  Used about 12 units of Mono, and just toggled Torque off in the Lander can, steering primarily with engine gimbal and occasional bumps of RCS.  Flew an asparagus staged Terrier with a Poodle core up on a big lifter.  Wasn't really intending to land anywhere, so the Poodle sticks out and makes all the landings wonky.  Had the alternator running on the Poodle, but didn't need it as total consumption was 0.  I'll say this was proof of concept, and we could have gone anywhere.  No battery locking or other shenanigans used.  Do I get a badge?

yes you do (tell me how to give badges)

On 5/2/2016 at 7:26 AM, JacobJHC said:

Does this work?

yes it does! and can you put me in the descripttion or sub to me (Spas Thunder)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.