Lentum - A KCM Planet

ProtoJeb21

For the second round of the Kopernicus Creativity Marathon (KCM), I made a planet called Lentum.

[Picture Coming Soon]

Basic Info

Lentum is a so-called "Super-Kerbin" that orbits between Dres and Jool. It is in a 3.3-1 resonance with Duna. I tried for a 3-1, but I didn't know about the specific equation involved. Also, I didn't have Universe Sandbox 2 yet. Anyways, Lentum orbits in a relatively crowded area of space. But its size (1.1 Kerbin Radii) and mass (1.4 Kerbin Mass) gave it a gravity of about 1.5 gees, enough to clear out its orbit.

Scientific Backstory

Lentum was once a planet a lot like Duna, except over twice as large. However, an icy object about the size of Moho intruded the planet's orbit. This object was large but had a fluff-like density, similar to Daphy from Kerbol Origins. The "Doomsday Fluff" broke up near Lentum and peppered the planet with large impacts. The crust remained solid, once again due to the fluffy density of the object, and greenhouse gases were emitted into the atmosphere. Lentum's temperature rose to a comfortable 303 Kelvin, warm enough for the collections of Gallium in the craters to melt. Life first evolved from the underground caves of water, but adapted to use the liquid Gallium as a food source. All life on Lentum is bacterial. They are mostly green in color and are bioluminescent. They have colored both the surface and atmosphere a pleasant green color. Very enjoyable for your victi-- I mean kerbals.

Development

Lentum is a very old concept. Even before I got KSP, I had envisioned a 5-planet system called Kyzor. Kyzor was a K-Type dwarf star with 45% the Sun's radius and 37% its mass. Two of its planets were in the habitable zone, and one of them was Lentum. Despite some similarities between the two designs - giant craters and rings - they were very different. Original Lentum was over twice the size of Earth (or Kerbin) and had no atmosphere. All life, water, and air on the planet was blown off by a giant impact event that nearly destroyed Original Lentum, unlike New Lentum's collision. Original Lentum's crust was stripped off, and ejecta from the event peppered the other side. The planet was given a huge tilt of over 120 degrees. Four moons and a ring system were formed from the event.

Believe it or not, Lentum went through even more changes during development. My entry for KCM 2 was going to be a ravine-run planet called Kesa, which had giant plateaus and water-filled rivers. However, I scrapped the idea because of its resemblance to Asclepius and how bad the texture was coming out. So I decided on reviving Lentum from the Kyzor System project. This New Lentum had a much more vibrant texture with two sets of craters - the main basins, and smaller pockmarks from the ejecta. But that texture was replaced after issues with getting the liquid Gallium inside of the basins. Colors were being changed during texture development. Lentum's life-colored land was originally going to be a greenish-purple, but I couldn't make a similar color that didn't look so dreary. Over the course of Lentum's development, barely anything stayed the same.

Screenshots

Here, have some pictures of the new and original textures!

[Sorry, none yet. They'll be here soon!]

• 4 weeks later...

Cool. I made a system of my own for a fictional history book of the evinarians with there own story and evolution of their planet and system. The System is a binary system, One K-class star (K5V) named Kenus and one Brown Dwarf (T1) named Uuna. The names are made up. It also has 23 planets.

·       Kenus – K-Class Star

1.     Uta – 0.12 AU

2.     Nevir – 0.45 AU

3.     Orta – 1.34 AU

4.     Elonnar/Muan – 3.12 AU < Evinarian Homeworld (Elonnar) (Gallium/Silicon based)

5.     Unota – 8.4 AU < Largest Planet 2.42 times the mass of jupiter.

6.     Kilareus - 21 AU

7.     Ioperi - 33.42 AU

8.     Alpo – 52 AU

9.     Excas - 60 AU

·       Uuna – T-Class Brown Dwarf – 235 AU

1.     Diran – 0.02 AU

2.     Quasinox - 0.11 AU

3.     Jipta – 0.32 AU

4.     Eknac - 1.23 AU

5.     Sevye –3.6 AU

6.     WXAZ – 5.3 AU

7.     Gelia – 18.5 AU

8.     Poliar – 25.0 AU

·        Kenus Uuna Barycentre

1.     Lempa – 0.01 Ly

2.     Seritea - 0.016 Ly

3.     Aquip – 0.024 Ly

4.     Suhnt – 0.052 Ly

5.     Gika – 0.08 Ly

6.     Desroit – 0.20 Ly

I also Included the 20 nearest stars to it and even the nearest 7 galaxies. I made all the planets unique ( like one has rings made of 99% Iron) and i created the system plus all the planets separately with their moons in Universe Sandbox. I do like the back story of your planet though. Nice job.

Edited by SAS123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.