Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@DfthuDo you have the save file right 

Ok, we have an overlap right now, so I'm making an executive decision. @Jhawk1099 your mission has been eaten by space kraken sorry.  Latest save is @Nich share savegame. I like the well documented shuttle mission, and since you have already contributed a module I feel confident you won't have too much trouble relaunching. Sorry about that. Feel free to send it back up. Cleared for next launch...

Also my phone likes to insert random quotes apparently....

Edited by Jetski

So I have a question.  The attachment I've designed needs a Docking port Sr. and the other end has a standard (ie:  1.25m).  So essentially, I'm using up one of the senior docking ports and replacing it with a standard (actually 3, but only talking about the 2 freebies).  Is this ok with people, or would you like me to keep the sr docking port around?

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So I have a question.  The attachment I've designed needs a Docking port Sr. and the other end has a standard (ie:  1.25m).  So essentially, I'm using up one of the senior docking ports and replacing it with a standard (actually 3, but only talking about the 2 freebies).  Is this ok with people, or would you like me to keep the sr docking port around?

Use it by all means. Someone else can add a Sr. adapter later easily enough.

15 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Put me in line ) I want to add something kool :3

Edit: Who's next?

Actually I have the save right now :)  Who says the challenge host can't put up a module?  Give me a half hour or so, I'll post the save back up here and in the OP when I'm done.

OK, added a little RCS tug with a docking port and a Klaw.  I decided the Klaw counts as a docking port ;)

Latest savegame

Cleared for next launch.

And I like the idea of deorbiting debris cleanly without tracking station, lets leave that as an exercise for the more experienced players :)

Edited by Jetski

2 hours ago, Jetski said:

And I like the idea of deorbiting debris cleanly without tracking station, lets leave that as an exercise for the more experienced players :)

I remember not long after starting to play the game that I had a little ion driven de-orbiter that I used to remove debris from orbit. Then I found the delete button in the tracking station.

That was the last time that little ship was used. :)

1 hour ago, Nich said:

My shuttle main tank had a PE of 68 km.  It would have deorbited its self but I didn't feel like making 100 aerobraking passes

That is, rather high, there is very little, if any, drag there.  But I suppose it works.  I'm making sure that all of my boosters have some sort of core on board for control, and none will use all fuel, so they will all be able to deorbit.  My only issue is that I have a small attachment of a battery, core, and something else which will be floating free, I'm going to have to dock with it (with an out-of-balance ship) in order to deorbit it.  But it will be worth it.  Now that i'm thinking about it, I think I'm going to put a small RCS tank and thrusters on it, so that it will dock with the ship rather than the other way around.

Gonna be interesting.  Already the ship has destroyed the launch pad without even lighting the engines, I had to make some adjustments for that.

On 4/9/2016 at 10:24 AM, Jetski said:

Jetski couldn't resist adding a little RCS tug with a Klaw and a docking port for moving things around

Jhawk1099 points out that Jetski referred to himself in the third person.

Mission Finished! Reporting in.

I'm sorry it came this early in the process, I just had to dock something special to the station :3

The final module turned out to be only 4 parts (Potato, Grappler, Adapter, Senior DP).

Updated save file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mitj13ohkgnasdb/KSS.sfs?dl=0

Pushing @linuxgurugamer and @Jetski :)

Edited by Enceos

3 minutes ago, Jetski said:

To answer both your questions, sorry guys no going over 5 parts.  That's the design challenge.

Ok one more question, could you have 7 parts? or just 5. because in the OP it says Max 5 parts plus 2 docking ports? or does it mean 3 parts plus 2 docking ports.

Edited by Dfthu

The docking parts are freebies.  You may have 5 parts of any type, in addition you may have up to 2 docking ports that do not count towards your 5 part limit.  I'll count a Klaw as a docking port because it kinda does the same thing.

Edit: I changed this rule after the very first entry, which I think was you @Dfthu, sorry if you didn't catch that.

Edited by Jetski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.