passinglurker's random dev (recent release: Moar Mk1 ver. 0.3 now with engines!)

passinglurker

So I like making small mods, but I don't like making a thread for each little thing so this is where I'm going to post my mods and mod making progress of whatever happens to suit my fancy until whatever I've been posting in this thread grows big enough to spin off into its own thread.

Moar Mk1

Just a quick little part mod I made because the rocket revamp was pushed back to 1.2 and I didn't want to match the old fuel tanks with porkjet's new parts any longer

http://imgur.com/a/FUbOn

^here's the pictures imgur or the forum staff broke something :mad:

ChangeLog

Version 0.3: 6 parts added. 4 LFO vacuum engines, 2 LFO lifter engines

Version 0.2: 4 Parts added. 2 lengths of hollow structural fuselages, a hollow decoupler, and a hollow separator. Fixed upside down liquid fuel tanks.

Version 0.1: Initial release. Only fuel tanks 4 LFO, 2 LF, 4 Mono

Download

spacedock

Known Issues

ver. 0.3 was packaged wrong don't copy/paste blindly the real MoarMk1 mod folder is not the one on the top

Community Configs

Tweakscale config by Deimos Rast

Community living space config by String witch

Licence

88x31.png

CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Edited by passinglurker

Thanks! but this isn't so much a feat of texturing as it is a feat of cheap tricks and corner cutting >.>...

Basically I imported the stock texture into gimp, cut/copy/pasted it into a smaller collage of the bits I needed, and did some color shifting to get the monoprop and LFO color bands. Still I'm pretty proud of my frugality :D

And here is what I worked on in my spare time today

lnWsOMG.png

It's going to be some extra hollow structural pieces nothing spectacular but eh like the fuel tanks its low hanging fruit, the tall one at least is useful for stations, and I can reuse most of my existing texture sheet and fill in some unused spaces on it. the two big ones are just regular structural fuselages, and the smallest one I plan to duplicate and use for hollow decouplers and separators.

7 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I vote this for stock!

I'm flattered but I could never stand seeing all my small lazy mistakes till the end of time. :wink:

---------------------------

So since moar mk1 presently has my attention I am interested in feedback and idea's as to what to do after I finish this handful of structural parts. What sort of parts do you all want to see mk1-ified? Personally I want to tackle the low hanging fruit first so things people actually want that don't need me to make any animations, fluid organic curvy shapes, or special unity rigging gets priority but I still want to know what people itch for so that I can plan to get around to it ...eventually...

32 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I'm flattered but I could never stand seeing all my small lazy mistakes till the end of time. :wink:

I would assume PorkJet would smooth them over, but these parts are very very KSP 1.1. They look so much more clean and inline with everything else. There's honestly no reason to not have it stock, those old rocket fuel tanks have been there since .13 or so... They could use an update ;) . Although I do like those old parts...

14 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I would assume PorkJet would smooth them over, but these parts are very very KSP 1.1. They look so much more clean and inline with everything else. There's honestly no reason to not have it stock, those old rocket fuel tanks have been there since .13 or so... They could use an update ;) . Although I do like those old parts...

I would assume in the time it takes to look over my work fix my mistakes and convert everything to their nomaculture they could have made their own parts from scratch to their exact specifications, but still as they say "it's an honor just to be nominated" :)

------------

Progress wise I've added the needed elements to the texture sheet and started uv unwrapping for the next batch. Nothing really to show yet maybe when the unwrapping is complete.

9 hours ago, Elkram said:

Awesome mod is going to be one of my "must haves" at least until the 1.2 revamp.

Good work!:cool:

Thanks :) and yeah it's no secret one of the reasons I'm cutting corners in making these parts is that I expect most of them to be rendered obsolete by 1.2 :wink:

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Amazing mod! Could you also do engines and maybe 2.5m parts eventually? These look AMAZING!

Thanks, but really this is me being cheap and remixing porkjets textures so any praises about looks should go to him :wink: . As for for 2.5m parts this wouldn't be moar mk1 if it had 2.5m parts, but this thread is for more than one little mod so maybe someday if something randomly strikes my fancy. Is there a need you see for 2.5m parts that is as dire as old rocket parts stacked in the middle of sleek space planes?

Meanwhile engines in general is a big maybe. Right now I'm just plucking the low hanging fruit (the parts that don't need any special animations or unity rigging. unlike engines...) that being said they may become low hanging fruit if I could somehow weasel my way out of making emissive animations, but I wouldn't count on that there are no alternative tools as I've found yet, and expecting some one else to complete my parts is unrealistic because if they are capable of making the emissive animations and rigging things up in unity they could easily copy my corner cutting techniques to make thier own parts how they like them. So if I get to engines some day it will be when the low hanging fruit gets scarce and I see a need for them.

---------------------------

Progress wise the structural parts I've been working on when not busy, distracted, or procrastinating are coming along.

RY7C71C.png?1

At this rate they should be done by thursday assuming there are no more real life delays than normal.

17 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Nice job! I want the 2.5m parts because these good great on stations.

I think some 2.5m parts made from the Mk3 + Mk2 textures would be appreciated. @passinglurker this is looking pretty great. My one critique is that I think they are too 'uniform'. The long tanks are just the short tank textures repeated. Having some differentiating details along the length (think something like the stripes on the current FLT tanks or something) to break it up would be cool. Right now it seems a bit obvious that it's the same texture repeated down the length. Even something like having a colored band that wraps all the way around at the second 'segment' from the bottom, in additional to the ones that run lengthwise. That's my two cents.

EDIT: To clarify, this is re: the fuel / RCS tanks. The structural pieces look fine.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think some 2.5m parts made from the Mk3 + Mk2 textures would be appreciated. @passinglurker this is looking pretty great. My one critique is that I think they are too 'uniform'. The long tanks are just the short tank textures repeated. Having some differentiating details along the length (think something like the stripes on the current FLT tanks or something) to break it up would be cool. Right now it seems a bit obvious that it's the same texture repeated down the length. Even something like having a colored band that wraps all the way around at the second 'segment' from the bottom, in additional to the ones that run lengthwise. That's my two cents.

EDIT: To clarify, this is re: the fuel / RCS tanks. The structural pieces look fine.

I expected mirroring to be an issue on close examination but to be fair these structural parts do it and just working with copy/paste/colorshifting porkjets original textures I only have so much material to work with because even porkjets mk1 parts rely on mirroring. So one can make the case that uniformity is a trait of the mk1 diameter. That being said I will take another look and see if there are any simple changes I can make to mitigate the mirroring effect for keen eye'd users.

I'm not sure how I'd blend mk2 and mk3 textures together though care to elaborate on the potential design a little more? please? :) 

28 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Nice job! I want the 2.5m parts because these good great on stations.

well I'm pretty sure nertea has a pack for stock alike stations there is also habtech both of which cover a lot of ground already. I'll have to take a look and see what low hanging fruit they leave behind

7 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I expected mirroring to be an issue on close examination but to be fair these structural parts do it and just working with copy/paste/colorshifting porkjets original textures I only have so much material to work with because even porkjets mk1 parts rely on mirroring. So one can make the case that uniformity is a trait of the mk1 diameter. That being said I will take another look and see if there are any simple changes I can make to mitigate the mirroring effect for keen eye'd users.

I'm not sure how I'd blend mk2 and mk3 textures together though care to elaborate on the potential design a little more? please? :) 

Mirroring is fine. I meant that along the length of the tanks, it seems as if it's the same segment of textures repeating. I've tried (poorly) to illustrate what I mean while my boss wasn't looking.

mGMWJer.jpg

Red lines are where my (inexpert) lines see seams. Also, looking at it again, the gaps between the panels on that RCS tank seem to be a little too thick / dark / obvious.

I've tried to quickly draw something like what I suggested as a solution.

mM8Dncj.jpg

I'm just saying I think they would benefit from a little more variation along the length. I made the stripe wrap completely around one of the segments, and added some extra panels. Out of curiosity, how comfortable are you with editing the textures? Are you just cutting up the Porkjet textures, or are you adding additional edits to make things work a bit better for your parts?

Re: the mk2 / mk3 thing, are the textures different? I thought they were fairly identical styles.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mirroring is fine. I meant that along the length of the tanks, it seems as if it's the same segment of textures repeating. I've tried (poorly) to illustrate what I mean while my boss wasn't looking.

mGMWJer.jpg

Red lines are where my (inexpert) lines see seams. Also, looking at it again, the gaps between the panels on that RCS tank seem to be a little too thick / dark / obvious.

I've tried to quickly draw something like what I suggested as a solution.

mM8Dncj.jpg

I'm just saying I think they would benefit from a little more variation along the length. I made the stripe wrap completely around one of the segments, and added some extra panels. Out of curiosity, how comfortable are you with editing the textures? Are you just cutting up the Porkjet textures, or are you adding additional edits to make things work a bit better for your parts?

Re: the mk2 / mk3 thing, are the textures different? I thought they were fairly identical styles.

I see what you are saying. Aside from the color shifts I did to make the identifying strips and the arrows on the decouplers I'm just cutting up the stock textures, but I am confident in my ability to make textures from scratch I'm just choosing not to because it's a time consuming process especially for parts that may not survive the next big ksp update like these fuel tanks. That being said I do have a few ideas on how to introduce some variation for the longer parts without to much effort. I don't think I'll do the wrap around color bands though I want to use the identifying colors sparingly.

As for the rcs tank I'm pretty sure that's just the camera angle and the same thing would happen with stock parts too I'll test it when I get home.

Re:re: they are distinguishable and recognizable though if done wrong it would be pretty obvious that it's a Frankenstein mash up of mk2 and mk3 textures.

5 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

I use HabTech and love it, but I just need nice-looking fuel storage for my stations I want to set up, not the ugly orange tank.

STX should have 2.5m tanks in station and nasa styles if I recall correctly but I will look at the stock assets and see if there is anything I can jam out fast on my day off tomorrow.

Edited by passinglurker

So I haven't post in like a week because I have a thing about double posts (let alone triple). But this wouldn't be much of a dev journal if I let that stop me forever!

7JQa6FU.png

This is what I've been fiddling with they are made from a combo of aerospike and thud engine textures. Yes yes I know what I said about engines and not tackling them for a while. Blame inspiration striking! That inspiration being that the leftmost engine is sized to be able to fit its nozzles inside my hollow decouplers or alternately have enough space between them to fit 0.625m parts.

Anyway I'm thinking ballance wise that each engine would be optimized to be paired up with a particular size of tank so that it isn't needed nor is it advantageous to stack fuel tanks (my most hated practice and the cause of many flipping rockets) I'll probably have to add two more in order to have lifter and vacuum variants for the larger tanks unless some one knows a stock way to limit mode switching to "editor only" or something like that.

Thoughts on the nozzles? I'm torn between keeping them straight or going more curvy and bell like.

4 hours ago, Joco223 said:

@passinglurker MHmm, parts indeed look really nice. The engines you posted look really nice too since the stock ones are not that good looking. Can you maybe do some like lower stage 1.25m engines when you have time?

can you explain what you believe a lower stage would look like? I used the vector as inspiraction when making what I've made so far (i.e. a thick tank butt and a nozzle)

19 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Those look awesome @passinglurker! Now all we need are the docking ports to be redone by someone and I can make a stock ATV! (or you could do the ports, that would be great!)

heh if you use a mod it wouldn't be stock anymore silly :P 

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The bells should be curved a little more for the atmospheric versions, and the clusters of larger bells should be angled out slightly. It looks strange to have them all point perfectly straight.

Wouldn't that hurt the effective thrust if the nozzles and thrust transforms were pointed at an angle?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.