passinglurker's random dev (recent release: Moar Mk1 ver. 0.3 now with engines!)

passinglurker

Just now, passinglurker said:

Wouldn't that hurt the effective thrust if the nozzles and thrust transforms were pointed at an angle?

Slightly. Not enough to actually matter. I'm saying 2-3 degrees. Real rocket clusters usually work the same. Less risk of the engines damaging eachother etc.

1 hour ago, passinglurker said:

can you explain what you believe a lower stage would look like? I used the vector as inspiraction when making what I've made so far (i.e. a thick tank butt and a nozzle)

heh if you use a mod it wouldn't be stock anymore silly :P 

Relly what I want it for is an orbital utility vehicle, the small 4x engines with a docking port, small fuel tank, KIS storage, passenger cabin, probe core, and RCS. I'd use that as a dedicated crew transport for my station.

7 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Relly what I want it for is an orbital utility vehicle, the small 4x engines with a docking port, small fuel tank, KIS storage, passenger cabin, probe core, and RCS. I'd use that as a dedicated crew transport for my station.

Ok I see what you are saying. So in what way does the stock docking ports come up so short?

3 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

The stock ones look absolutely atrocious.

Now now that's not fair novaskilo was a good artist my beef with the old parts is not that they are bad but that they look so different from the new parts it creates a clash (also inefficient use of resources, and poor balance, but those are issues that don't have much to do with how they look) Anyway they must look good enough to porkjet considering he mimic'd thier style when he made the mk2 inline docking port.

14 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Now now that's not fair novaskilo was a good artist my beef with the old parts is not that they are bad but that they look so different from the new parts it creates a clash (also inefficient use of resources, and poor balance, but those are issues that don't have much to do with how they look) Anyway they must look good enough to porkjet considering he mimic'd thier style when he made the mk2 inline docking port.

Yeah, I just like my parts to match. The Tantares ones are nice but their gray doesn't fit with the spaceplane style I like. I think Porkjet used the old Clamp-O-Tron style because the two parts that docked together had to look similar, two different docking ports can't dock together.

25 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, I just like my parts to match. The Tantares ones are nice but their gray doesn't fit with the spaceplane style I like. I think Porkjet used the old Clamp-O-Tron style because the two parts that docked together had to look similar, two different docking ports can't dock together.

I see but you can't exactly paint docking ports space plane white they are parts where two pieces of metal are supposed to rub together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

fiddling with the top band of the engines to make them easier to tell apart in the VAB hows it look?

NBZaY1O.png

I think it looks fine.

One thing 'of note', what are you thinking for gimbals? From left to right, I'm thinking: 1) No gimbals, 2) gimbal 3-4 degrees on one axis (so the opposed bells gimbal on their axis, the other two gimbal on their own), 3) each bell gimbals 2-3 degrees on it's own axis (so in order to get a direction you'd have to gimbal probably two bells minimum), and 4) both gimbal 2 degrees all axis.

I was thinking of giving them all about as much free reign as I can get away with as I'm not a fan of how stock handicaps 1.25m engines like the lv-t30 to create a sense of "progression" (related all lfo engines will have alternators).

Though the one on the left would be limited to hinging left and right but not in and out so that they don't bump any 0.625m parts people stick between them.

Edited by passinglurker

5 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I was thinking of giving them all about as much free reign as I can get away with as I'm not a fan of how stock handicaps 1.25m engines like the lv-t30 to create a sense of "progression" (related all lfo engines will have alternators).

Though the one on the left would be limited to hinging left and right but not in and out so that they don't bump any 0.625m parts people stick between them.

Yeah, the 4 nozzle engine should be left/right so it doesn't hit the inside.

Lurk's Log, stardate: whenever

HcsXdSA.png

More polish passes for the engines (smoothing things out, adding curves, adjusting fairing length, adjusting engine throat diameter, adjusting engine bell skirt diameter, adjusting nozzle length. :confused:) hopefully by this point if you have enough knowledge of rocket engine design you can tell a vacuum engine from a atmos lifter engine in this line up at a glance. All while I try to keep the engine length in check for use with landing legs, and give each engine enough visual variance that you can tell them apart at a glance in the editor part catalog. All while making everything fit on a 256x512 texture sheet! :confused:  And I haven't even gotten them into unity for emissive animations yet! :confused:

but the glow map is done so come thursday I'll have time to do my unity antics and hopefully have an update ready for sometime next week :D... maybe... don't hold me too it engines are not low hanging fruit...

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

uhh, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But a 256 x 512 texture sheet won't compress properly. They need to be square, and a factor of two. You're fine on the second part of that but the first is not.

it's what the vector's SSME texture does

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

work, school, sniffles, stellaris, house of the dying sun, borderlands2, voltron, procrastination, all not particularly in that order. unfortunately I can't really say progress has been made sorry I'll make sure to make a noticeable scene should I get the engines pushed out and the mod updated.

Edited by passinglurker

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2016 at 0:30 AM, passinglurker said:

work, school, sniffles, stellaris, house of the dying sun, borderlands2, voltron, procrastination, all not particularly in that order. unfortunately I can't really say progress has been made sorry I'll make sure to make a noticeable scene should I get the engines pushed out and the mod updated.

Ok, can't wait for those engines!

I like that tiny disc of a monoprop tank. This is really nice work for how easily it was done, the simple sort of modding I'd like to do and see more of.

well since I wasn't able to make the time to push this out over my long weekend like I had hoped here is a sign of my progress.

Qziy3RL.png

basically all the colliders and transforms are now in place... probably... (I decided to try doing as much rigging in blender as I could this time around since I like the interface better than unity's so who knows if I did it right :P )

Edited by passinglurker

So I took my engine babies on a field trip to unity today.

QdYgfz7.png

And I discovered the power of selecting multiple parts at once with Ctrl and editing thier components all in one go! That made setting up the colliders so much easier! I feel like a modding god! [Insert Victorious Screeching!!!]

photo op!
6SzHPAT.png?2
can't thrust yet in fact it's still a loooooong ways to go with configuring, testing, and balancing etc... and it isn't heat animated either
EDIT: we have thrust!... but the nodes were upside down I'm gonna have to go back and fix that. Hey does anyone have any tips for flame and smoke effect configuring? also engine names... something that blends in well with kerbal nomenclature...

Edited by passinglurker

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're intending to use stock engine/smoke FX it's simply a matter of finding the one you want in a stock config and using those values. If you want to make your own FX it involves using the KSP>Particle Emitter component; some tips that I can think of at the moment:

• Have the FX object in the same Unity scene as the engine - this will make it easier to see how big the FX is compared to the engine, what the engine will look like in game, etc.
  • You don't need more that 200-300 for the emission setting
  • If I remember correctly use Local Velocity rather than World Velocity
  • Engine FX use the KSP>Particles>Additive shader
  • Tapering effects for a rocket plume can be done via the Animate Color settings by adjusting the A level sliders
  • Max Size should be the same as the value input in the Size settings
  • Shock diamonds are done via a second FX object
  • I've always used stock smoke, so I can't say for sure, but I think smoke FX unchecks the Simulate Worldspace box and has a much longer Energy (particle lifetime) setting

KSP engine names are all over the place, though animals and naval terms seem to be predominant. Since it looks like the engines are all part of the same family/manufacturer, as long as the names are internally consistent (i.e. naming them something like, say, LT-20 Sloop, LT-30 Caravel, LT-45 Brigantine, etc.) it probably shouldn't matter too much what they are named in terms of fitting in with everything else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.