First ever piston engine with a working ignition system!

A three year old dream has finally come true! For years I begged people to write me a mod so I'd have a position sensor, needed for ignition timing.

Yesterday, I wrote it myself. Using stock modules.
This engine is raw, underpowered and unreliable. But it's a start!

If anyone's interested in playing with it, a little warning. It's a lot more complex than a turboshaft engine! And I'm not sure it will work in 1.0.5. And I haven't published the mod yet.

Can I have an applause? :cool:

<Insert exclamation expletives> All kinds of expletives....

Ok now that the initial shell shock of this awesomeness has subsided I think I can start applauding.

(While still dropping exclamation expletives)

edit:

If it's possible to nominate threads for stickies/pinning I think this one needs it! 

Cxp7OkD.png

Edited by esinohio

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

A three year old dream has finally come true! For years I begged people to write me a mod so I'd have a position sensor, needed for ignition timing

I saw the gif, I looked closer i saw the position sensor and the pegs on the flywheel and thought, bleepy bleep it's got a real ignition system!!, then i read the text below, truly outstanding.

I can see huge scale versions of these in Real Ships, I've got so many questions, mainly how have you managed to drive the pistons? I'm presuming there's no trickery or magic based on your previous productions. what is it's fuel? how is it delivered?  Would there be a cylinder limit? (I'd like to see if six cylinders would be smoother)  How large is it and is there an optimum size ( thinking here about rotating masses) What is controlling the power output and how is it measured? How durable is it/ could it be?   and at least a 1000 more

Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust  Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust  Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust  Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust   Intake Compression Combustion Exhaust ....

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I saw the gif, I looked closer i saw the position sensor and the pegs on the flywheel and thought, bleepy bleep it's got a real ignition system!!, then i read the text below, truly outstanding.

I can see huge scale versions of these in Real Ships, I've got so many questions, mainly how have you managed to drive the pistons? I'm presuming there's no trickery or magic based on your previous productions. what is it's fuel? how is it delivered?  Would there be a cylinder limit? (I'd like to see if six cylinders would be smoother)  How large is it and is there an optimum size ( thinking here about rotating masses) What is controlling the power output and how is it measured? How durable is it/ could it be?   and at least a 1000 more

Long story!

I'll come back to ya!

42 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Wooooooah, OMG. Can you do a YouTube video on it? Congrats on realising your dream Azimech! I'm guessing the pistons are driven from jet/rocket wash with your timing mod switching them on or off at the right time?

Thanks!

That's correct, somewhat at the right time though.

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Blown. Away. 
Seriously, that is Epic!  Your enginnering never ceases to amaze me! 

Thanks man! I hope these engines will find the way to your marvelous website soon!

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

A three year old dream has finally come true! For years I begged people to write me a mod so I'd have a position sensor, needed for ignition timing.

Yesterday, I wrote it myself. Using stock modules.
This engine is raw, underpowered and unreliable. But it's a start!

If anyone's interested in playing with it, a little warning. It's a lot more complex than a turboshaft engine! And I'm not sure it will work in 1.0.5. And I haven't published the mod yet.

Can I have an applause? :cool:

I can give you one! YAY!! :) This is amazing, it's hard enough coming up with the concept and then to pull it off in KSP is awesome!

I'm doing a major rewrite, I've solved an NRE and I'm figuring out a method to get the ignition working in a more reliable and faster way so rpm can go up. The engine as it existed yesterday is gone.

This is my crossplane two-stroke V8. It has a balanced crankshaft which is a big improvement over the previous one. Unfortunately I've hit rock bottom with trying to reduce mass, colliders don't like that, stuff gets pushed through and frequently pistons are pushed where they're not wanted and big end bearings fail.
A big improvement will come if I create custom bearings, pistons and conrods with Wings3D, Unity and Infernal Robotics.

To tell the truth: I don't see this type of engine in any different application than big ships without a mod that takes care of collider issues and the flexibility of joints.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

To tell the truth: I don't see this type of engine in any different application than big ships without a mod that takes care of collider issues and the flexibility of joints.

Given that in real life most big ships are propelled by low RPM two stroke engines (line, not v, though), that's only fitting. Amazing job!

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Given that in real life most big ships are propelled by low RPM two stroke engines (line, not v, though), that's only fitting. Amazing job!

Hmmmm Big ships like @soulreaver1981 's amazing yacht ??  Just imagine if it were possible to join the engine with that yacht.  KSP nirvana is what that is, yes sir!

Question.

Why did you go with that setup for the 4cyl engine.  When most of the four cylinder engines run a 180 firing order of 1-3-4-2.   And your engine appears to be a 2 stroke. 

But good job on an early engine setup.

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

Question.

Why did you go with that setup for the 4cyl engine.  When most of the four cylinder engines run a 180 firing order of 1-3-4-2.   And your engine appears to be a 2 stroke. 

But good job on an early engine setup.

Yes, a two stroke because the power output and timing was difficult enough, and I wanted a power stroke every 90 degrees. The crankshaft was unbalanced and the type of bearing I've chosen was and experiment and not a good one, they're simply a few rings with colliders rubbing together. So the power loss in the friction is pretty large. Time to build myself a bearing in Unity.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.