[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

It's time for... nitrogen issues!

1. I'm not getting the In/Out toggles to transfer nitrogen between pods or the configurable tanks. However other resources like food - even other gasses like oxygen - transfer just fine.
  2. Also I'm going to add to the many comments about the incredibly high rate of nitrogen consumption compared to all other resources. I have a base where only a science lab is set to habitable and I'm burning 1.2 nitrogen/s with the leak rate reduced to 0.0000005 in my config! Is leak rate being applied properly to only habitable parts? Is nitrogen being consumed as the max rate that the pressure controllers can consume it, or is only enough nitrogen to replace lost atmosphere being consumed? I suspect it's an issue with computing surface area for leaks, since by default my Mk3 pod has well over 100 days of nitrogen, whereas my science lab with several times the amount of nitrogen available has 4 days...

@Climberfx Yes, pretty much.

@klugeh01 It is in a custom group, the 'heartbeat' icon. But be advised that parts in Kerbalism are only enabled if the respective features are enabled, and that depend on user settings and profile in use.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Must the config be in the Kerbalism folder, or can it be in the GPP folder

Can be anywhere in GameData.

@podbaydoor Can you check the volume/surface of the parts involved in your case? Right-click them in VAB to see the values. Report anomalous surface/volumes, and suggest more proper ones if you like.

3 hours ago, podbaydoor said:

I'm not getting the In/Out toggles to transfer nitrogen between pods or the configurable tanks. However other resources like food - even other gasses like oxygen - transfer just fine

I could be wrong here, but the CRP definition of Nitrogen use STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH as flow mode. So maybe you can only transfer it between same-stage parts? I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, podbaydoor said:

Is nitrogen being consumed as the max rate that the pressure controllers can consume it, or is only enough nitrogen to replace lost atmosphere being consumed

The latter.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly about all my nitrogenous problems! I'll check on part surface areas in the VAB next time I get a chance.

18 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I could be wrong here, but the CRP definition of Nitrogen use STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH as flow mode. So maybe you can only transfer it between same-stage parts? I'm not sure.

Ah that makes sense! It looks like the CRP entry for nitrogen has transfer = PUMP, same as all the other transferable resources. flowMode is indeed set to STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH, but that should have no bearing on pumping. STACK_PRIORITY_FLOW is the one that won't transfer across stages.

Anyway, I set flowMode = ALL_VESSEL and now I can transfer nitrogen, even though I'm not sure why. Maybe we should ask @RoverDude about changing this in the official CRP, if it makes sense and is in fact the correct behavior (which I'm not sure it is... what does transfer = PUMP even do then).

5 hours ago, podbaydoor said:

Anyway, I set flowMode = ALL_VESSEL and now I can transfer nitrogen, even though I'm not sure why. Maybe we should ask @RoverDude about changing this in the official CRP, if it makes sense and is in fact the correct behavior (which I'm not sure it is... what does transfer = PUMP even do then).

Not my call, I'd need to see the PR from whichever modder it is that curates Nitrogen (or if it is one of the few 'shared' ones, make sure there are no objections by other participants).  

On 2/4/2017 at 5:34 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@podbaydoor Can you check the volume/surface of the parts involved in your case? Right-click them in VAB to see the values. Report anomalous surface/volumes, and suggest more proper ones if you like.

I checked out some volume/SA values and they look fine. It turns out I'm having issues because the nitrogen duration displayed by Kerbalism in the VAB isn't the duration I get in the field. I have a base in the VAB which Kerbalism claims has over a year of nitrogen, but once I land it, Kerbalism tells me I've got 8 days. I've checked to make sure the settings in VAB are identical to what's out there in the field. As always, let me know what I can do to help debug.

Other issues I'm noticing now that I have bases:

1. There's no option to disable the waste processor. This looks intentional: toggle = false in the configs. Why was this choice made? I have a base that can't make it through the night unless I can shut this off.
  2. In the VAB, probe cores are listed as taking 0.03 EC/s for "command" when you attach one and ask Kerbalism what's using EC. Command pods are listed as taking 0.30 EC/s, but the EC/s usage total comes out as if it were only 0.03 EC/s. Weird bug that doesn't seem to affect gameplay that much, but it would be nice to know why the true and display values differ.
  3. There's no K&K container for nitrogen (Planetary Base Systems). All the other Kerbalism life support resources have corresponding parts in PBS. Can the O2/CO2 tanks be made configurable? Should we see if we can get a new texture that uses the O2 tank, but has an N2 label on the outside?

I'm playing Galileo's planet pack at 6.4 scale, using Sigma Dimensions. Of course, antennas are running out of range too quick. I found this in the Kerbalism configs:

// ============================================================================
// Tweak antenna distances
// ============================================================================

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]
  {
    @dist *= 16.0
  }
}

Sounds simple enough, only what do I need to use instead of RealSolarSystem to get it to tweak my antennas?

On 03/02/2017 at 11:41 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

Some features are turned on/off automatically based on the profile used. More precisely, based on the modifiers used by that profile. If  the one you are using doesn't use the comfort modifier in any rule, then the comfort mechanic is turned off. The gravity ring get disabled in that case, because it is a comfort provider and will have no reason to exist if there is no comfort mechanic. 

I had a look at the TAC profile you mention, and it seem to be using the comfort modifier. So there must be something going on here. Can you send me your log? You can find it in KSP folder, with the name KSP.log, and you can upload it somewhere and post a link here on the thread.

Ninja, many thanks, but it turns out it was my bad all along. 

In the 'kerbalism' folder there is a 'profile' file, right? Then there is a sub-folder "profiles", and inside it, the profile options (TAC, default, classic etc.).

It turns out that in my "i know what I am doing" anxiety, i was mixing things up: i was pasting the 'tac' new profile inside the 'profiles' folder and replacing what was there, instead of placing it in the main folder root. The result, obviously, was a mess, but since 'some' of the funcionalities of kerbalism would indeed work, my first impetous was to think there was something wrong elsewhere - when in fact I was putting the right thing in the wrong place.

For shame! 

Anyway thanks for trying to help. Maybe in the kerbalism wiki or in the 'TAC+Kerbalism' mod there should be a more complete explanation of how profiling should be meddled with - not because it is not clear enough as it is now, but ... you know, to make it idiot-proof!

Thanks. Your mod is great. The people who create mods to make KSP more true-to-life should get a medal.

Daniel

19 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Anyway thanks for trying to help. Maybe in the kerbalism wiki or in the 'TAC+Kerbalism' mod there should be a more complete explanation of how profiling should be meddled with - not because it is not clear enough as it is now, but ... you know, to make it idiot-proof!

Make something idiot proof, and only idiots will want to use it :D

Hello, perhaps it is a stupid question, but is it possible to disable the "stop timewarp" made by Kerbalism, at least for non manned ships ?

I have no kerbal flying and I am sending a probe to Duna. Timewarp just stops more than once a day when a panel is failing or when electricity deplete (due to high speed warp) in my current probe or worse in any of the multiple relay I have set up.

5 minutes ago, Pamynx said:

Hello, perhaps it is a stupid question, but is it possible to disable the "stop timewarp" made by Kerbalism, at least for non manned ships ?

I have no kerbal flying and I am sending a probe to Duna. Timewarp just stops more than once a day when a panel is failing or when electricity deplete (due to high speed warp) in my current probe or worse in any of the multiple relay I have set up.

Open the Kerbalism panel in the apps toolbar, select the name of the probe and uncheck the Battery Message.

Are there any known compatibility issues? When I install kerbalism + TAC over a clean install, it works fine, but when I procede to copy all my favorite mods (and there are like 30 of them) to the gamedata folder, kerbalism stops working properly. Its difficult to know what exactelly creates the conflict. 

You really need to list all the mods you are using for anyone to be able to help you. I run with around 90 ckan mods and have no problems :wink:

You can see the list of supported mods in https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism, but there are tons of additional patches in https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/tree/master/GameData/Kerbalism/Support You can see what changes are done to mods when Kerbalism is installed by reading those.

Mods that implement similar mechanics to Kebalism are most likely to cause an issue, off the top of my head: USI-LS, USI-MKS, RemoteTech, Snacks! (maybe)

1 hour ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

You really need to list all the mods you are using for anyone to be able to help you. I run with around 90 ckan mods and have no problems :wink:

You can see the list of supported mods in https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism, but there are tons of additional patches in https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/tree/master/GameData/Kerbalism/Support You can see what changes are done to mods when Kerbalism is installed by reading those.

Mods that implement similar mechanics to Kebalism are most likely to cause an issue, off the top of my head: USI-LS, USI-MKS, RemoteTech, Snacks! (maybe)

Thanks this is the kind of starter advice i was looking for. I will check this out and then come back here if necessary. 

Got acquainted with  CKAN, which I never used before. It was a life changer. MANY THANKS YAAR! 

I read you use 90 mods with Ckan. Does it not cause 'memory leak' crash problems? How do you deal with that? Merely reducing graphics?

Interesting: HULLCAM conflicts with KERBALISM (or so Ckan says). I wonder if KURS DOCKING CAM also conflicts. I am about to install it manually (it is not available in Ckan). Anyone knows if this is unadvisable?

Is there log file?  I just had a kerbal die without warning a couple days after going into orbit.    

EDIT: Also, the ability to automate actions based on things that happen to your ship is just bloody awesome.   One other question, how are solar panels handled in the background sim.  I'm assuming all panels are just outputting full power unless they are in planet shadow?  Ships orientation is not taken into account? 

EDIT 2: Ok, so I managed to kill her again.  I got it figured out.  I have a fuel cell from universal storage as my main power source.  I have the auto scripts set to activate it when low power, and deactivate it when high power.   If you timewarp max speed with this setup the power hits 0 and the kerbal dies from life support failure.  I'm assuming this is not a problem when using solar power sources?

Edited by eberkain

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

EDIT 2: Ok, so I managed to kill her again.  I got it figured out.  I have a fuel cell from universal storage as my main power source.  I have the auto scripts set to activate it when low power, and deactivate it when high power.   If you timewarp max speed with this setup the power hits 0 and the kerbal dies from life support failure.  I'm assuming this is not a problem when using solar power sources?

I am not sure that is a safe assumption. Kerbalism has some numerical issues with the highest timewarps.

All of KSP actually has some issues with high timewarp, because after about three steps up (or maybe four) the game shuts off physics in order to avoid numeric problems. I'm guessing that Kerbalism's problems at high timewarp are related to this.

11 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

I read you use 90 mods with Ckan. Does it not cause 'memory leak' crash problems? How do you deal with that? Merely reducing graphics?

No memory problems. I run KSP 64bit, have 32GB of RAM, and the only memory hog in my mod list is Stock Visual Terrain and Stock Visual Enhancements (off now due to Scatterer being broken). I play with very little mod parts, and with lots of quality of life improvements. Biggest mods I use are Kerbalism, pretty much everything by Nertea except Spaceplane Mk IV (I can't fly planes), KIS, KAS, KPBS, Feline Rovers, Surface Experiment Pack. Also used to play with Ven's Stock Revamp but that got problems in 1.2 - there's a new release so I'll probably give it a try again (love that inflatable habs for Kerbalism!).

I don't use USI mods or Pathfinder, even though I really want some nice (more Kerbalism-style) way to have permanent colony somewhere.

11 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Interesting: HULLCAM conflicts with KERBALISM (or so Ckan says). I wonder if KURS DOCKING CAM also conflicts. I am about to install it manually (it is not available in Ckan). Anyone knows if this is unadvisable?

Hullcam is not really in conflict - both mods do very different things. The whole thing is explained in https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/issues/66 If you install Hullcam manually it will work, you'll just get some exceptions and some things MIGHT break in strange ways. Don't seek support on the forum if you do that though.

KURS is in ckan, it's just not marked as compatible with 1.2.whatever we have now. There is an option in ckan ui to enable installing mods marked for previous revisions. Can't point you exactly where as I don't have the UI in front of me.

5 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I am not sure that is a safe assumption. Kerbalism has some numerical issues with the highest timewarps.

All of KSP actually has some issues with high timewarp, because after about three steps up (or maybe four) the game shuts off physics in order to avoid numeric problems. I'm guessing that Kerbalism's problems at high timewarp are related to this.

Which is the reason I cant use Kerbalism at the moment. I lose every crew as soon as I go to 10k Timewarp. Even at 1k Timewarp the scripts sometimes do not get called and crew dies.(Talking about vessel in shadow and scripts use to minimize EC need) 

At 10k in interplanetary space, crew dies cause of missing power while there always is plenty of it. Doing a Duna transfer on 1k Timewarp is far away from fun for me.

I really hope this issue can be solved soon. ( I really mean soon. NOT soon™)

Edited by Mace from Space

1 hour ago, Mace from Space said:

Which is the reason I cant use Kerbalism at the moment. I lose every crew as soon as I go to 10k Timewarp. Even at 1k Timewarp the scripts sometimes do not get called and crew dies.(Talking about vessel in shadow and scripts use to minimize EC need) 

At 10k in interplanetary space, crew dies cause of missing power while there always is plenty of it. Doing a Duna transfer on 1k Timewarp is far away from fun for me.

That was why I stopped using Kerbalism also.

I had a couple times when I accidentally plotted a course to Minmus that was mostly in the shadow of Kerbin, and I ran out of power and died. That was on me. But I also had many cases where I had power the whole time and yet at high timewarp Kerbalism decided I had no power and shut off my CO2 scrubbing. It happened often enough that 1) I got good at editing my save files to get rid of the excess CO2 and 2) I got really tired of it. I knew I couldn't even try sending a manned mission to Duna because of this behavior.

3 hours ago, Mace from Space said:

I've been experimenting and x1000 time warp is pretty safe, could be dicey sometimes though.  I'm going to play around with the Time Control mod and see if I can limit the timewarp to about x500.  I'm also playing with KCT and have a much of concurrent missions going at any given time, so a slower time warp wouldn't be too bad for me.   Still not the ideal solution though.