[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

New version 1.2.1 released:

- new ECLSS component: Waste Compressor, compress Waste into Shielding
  - new ECLSS component: Monoprop Fuel Cell, burn Monoprop and has Water+Nitrogen by-products
  - atmosphere is breathable on all bodies containing oxygen, when pressure is above 25 kPA
  - proper experience bonus calculation in stock converters and harvesters (@Gotmachine)
  - MOLE solar panels support in planner and background simulation  (@Gotmachine)
  - support patches for SXT & HGR, improved patches for VSR & HabTech, and more (@Eberkain)
  - support patch for OrbitalTug (@PiezPiedPie)    
  - fix: cache stop updating after planting flag (#50, #52, #75)
  - fix: exception in main loop when space weather is disabled (#78)
  - fix: exception in planner analysis when comfort modifier is used in a process (#79)  
  - fix: greenhouse harvest ready message spam
  - fix: missing configure setup descriptions in some cases  

19 minutes ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

Latest release has the internal stock antennas on probes. Is that on purpose?

Crap, no that's a mistake.

I've released a new version 1.2.2 with the hotfix. Thanks for letting me know

- fix: remove stock antenna from probe cores

Edited by ShotgunNinja

5 hours ago, tater said:

Kerbals are 64% scale, so the human number should be too high. That makes a kerbal volume on the order of ~1/3 or less of a human. Food and air use could be set to anything, I suppose, but the combination of a crazy short day, and the tiny size of kerbals means that the mass of food/water, and even O2, should be substantially lower if they scale accordingly. A kerbal might mass 20kg? If a typical human is 60-70, that would put kerbal food needs closer to 500 g per day, and maybe 3+ l of water.

By that logic you could cut the consumption numbers down, but then you still have the problem of the quantity of supplies attached to parts.  If you leave it as is then a command pod is going to sustain for weeks.  Or if you readjust the parts to contain less supplies, then when you scale up to a larger system the parts only sustain for a fraction of the time that your instinct says they should.  And you have to consider that with Sigma Dimensions, its not simply two different scales, someone could make a 9.1x scaled system if they wanted.  

17 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I could rescale rules automatically from day-lenght. However, all process/module would have to be rescaled as well. There will be subtle changes in balance too, for example EC consumption reduced to 25% against unchanged solar panels, etc. Is probably best to write a new profile for RSS.

You don't alter the EC stored in stock batteries, and you dont alter the EC produced by stock solar cells, so it kind of needs to be balanced around those storage and production numbers instead of real world values, I would not alter EC numbers as they seem pretty well balanced as is.   What if instead of scaling by the day-length multiplier you had a couple scaling variables in the config file.   One for consumption rates, and one for storage size.   So if I put in a 0.25 for the consumption rates it would lower things like the food, water, oxygen consumption to 1/4 of default.   And if I put in a 2.0 for the storage size, then all the parts that contained food,water,oxygen,etc would now contain twice as much food.  

Yeah, making rescale work could be non-trivial, but rescales don't rescale the kerbals, or the rockets (except RO). Wonder if it could use the Kerbin rescale factor as a modifier (if Sigma is installed).

The longest Apollo mission was 12.5 days, and I'm sure they must have had a little excess capacity. Regardless, the idea that they would consume human amounts of supplies in 6 hours is bizarre. Even if you used human supply amounts, it should be divided by 4 just for that, IMO.

In the current version, do we have to worry about radiation and extra shielding in vessels with Near Future reactors? I recall this being mentioned, but wasn't sure if it had been implemented.

On 2/28/2017 at 6:51 AM, eberkain said:

I made a config for SXT covers the antennas, nuclear engines and puts a treadmill on that gigantic duna-class crew module

is there a reason this isn't included in the Support folder with other configs?

Edit: hah, I posted this before I actually read the thread updates - I went straight to the SXT patch post from a saved link :P Good stuff

Also, does anyone else think the current OPM support config is a bit too blunt in how it modifies signal range? The outer solar system is farther away but the space between Kerbin and Mun, for example, is not affected. Therefore we shouldn't be boosting the distance on all the antennas, just the ones we would be using to call home with. So I would submit that this change be made to the patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[OPM,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 4.0
  }
}

Now only the high-gain antennas that would normally be used to contact Kerbin from these distances have their ranges boosted to account for the greater size of the system

Also also, I assume that the distance for antennas defined in their config is in meters, but it would be nice if the wiki actually specified that.

Edited by Drew Kerman

9 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, making rescale work could be non-trivial, but rescales don't rescale the kerbals, or the rockets (except RO). Wonder if it could use the Kerbin rescale factor as a modifier (if Sigma is installed).

The longest Apollo mission was 12.5 days, and I'm sure they must have had a little excess capacity. Regardless, the idea that they would consume human amounts of supplies in 6 hours is bizarre. Even if you used human supply amounts, it should be divided by 4 just for that, IMO.

It does make sense. The idea is that a mission to Duna should result in about the same amount of supplies requirements as an IRL mission to Mars, since the distances in KSP are shrunk the supply usage is increased.

21 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@John Nowak

This is rather complex, and I just woke up, so please bear with me.

Not at all, and thanks for the reply.

21 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@John Nowak

Suppose it was possible to split a vessel into multiple habitats, even if only an 'airlock' and a 'main' one. Now all habitat properties have to be valid and defined for each one of them. This is not possible with the stock resource system, as you would effectively have multiple 'sub-vessels'.

I'm not clear on why you'd want to. What would you be trying to simulate by doing that?

2 hours ago, blakemw said:

It does make sense. The idea is that a mission to Duna should result in about the same amount of supplies requirements as an IRL mission to Mars, since the distances in KSP are shrunk the supply usage is increased.

I play scaled up, since stock KSP has no real challenge, even with LS. There are no design challenges when you don't ever need staged landers, for example (I don't even count Eve, since no one would ever want to walk on a Venus analog).

6 hours ago, airtrafficcontroller said:

Any chance to include DX11 Shaders in a future release

Unfortunately if I include DX11 shaders, the Unity editor bork when creating the asset bundle, and also include DX11_9 shaders. These in turn don't have support for 'point-sprites' stuff I'm doing in the shaders code, and somehow get selected on some particular GPUs, resulting in the players with these GPUs having no radiation field rendering. I found out the hard way. You will have to switch back to DX9/OpenGL, or live with the pink... :wink:

3 hours ago, John Nowak said:

I'm not clear on why you'd want to. What would you be trying to simulate by doing that

The airlock dynamics we were talking about. To do it proper, support for multiple separed habitats would be necessary (even if one is just a tiny one meant to be a simple airlock).

12 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Now only the high-gain antennas that would normally be used to contact Kerbin from these distances have their ranges boosted to account for the greater size of the system

Also also, I assume that the distance for antennas defined in their config is in meters, but it would be nice if the wiki actually specified that.

I agree. I'll include the tweak in next version. Similar for RSS, I'm keeping the x16 scale on high-gain, and using x10 on low-gain. Distance is in meters, I've clarified in the wiki.

I'm doing some experiments on new ECLSS stuff, and come out with a way to exploit the current process system to implement non-regenerative scrubbers, the kind used before the 2-bed vacuum-exposing ones used in these days. I'm not sure that I should add it to the default profile, mostly because 2 new ECLSS setups were already added in last version, and because this is a dirty hack. Anyway, I'm sharing it here in case somebody want to experiment with this.

Spoiler

In Default.cfg, add a new Process definition:

// convention: 1 capacity = enough to scrub output of 1 crew member for 5 day
Process
{
  name = non-regenerative scrubber
  modifier = _NonRegenScrubber
  input = [email protected]       // capacity start at 2, reach 1 in 5 days, then drop below
  input = [email protected] // consume 0.5 capacity in 5 days
}

then add new module in pods:

MODULE
{
  name = ProcessController
  resource = _NonRegenScrubber
  title = Non-regenerative Scrubber
  capacity = #$../CrewCapacity$
  running = true
  toggle = false
}

and a new ECLSS setup in the Configure module in pods:

SETUP
{
  name = Non-regenerative Scrubber
  desc = A bed of <i>Lithium Hydroxide</i> sequester <i>CarbonDioxide</i> from the internal atmosphere. <b>Will last for 5 days.</b>
  // tech = 
  mass = 0.001
  cost = 50

MODULE
  {
    type = ProcessController
    id_field = resource
    id_value = _NonRegenScrubber
  }
}

Finally add a new pseudo-resource definition

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = _NonRegenScrubber
  density = 0.0
  isVisible = false
}

As I am playing solely on career mode, never really played the sandbox, completed all tech trees and have decent 46m funds, farthest I get to was putting a satellite on Minmus, I don't want to play all over again from scratch and someone who don't resort to reverting (you don't get to undo in real life) until recently (was FORCED because of insanely difficult docking maneuvers), I have a REALLY decent number of MIA (stranded) kerbals.

Drifting kerbals and ships gone astray prior to installing this mod...

1.) Those stranded will die if I don't rescue them in time?

2.) How exactly dead is dead?

3.) Is this only applicable to newly made ships and EVA? Or to all immediately, no exemptions.

Im asking because it might ruin my career mode and cant undo things.

Thank you.

@michanstKerbalism will slaughter your kerbals. They won't have the life support they need to stay alive for long. Actually you'll experience probably 100% attrition rate even in a new career with Kerbalism because it's very harsh, but in any case you should expect all your kerbals to die.

I have over 50 craft in orbit, kerbalism always kill the time warp every time some parts fail. 

But I need a 100 year consistent time warp in order to get to Proxima Centauri b , so I just wanna know how to disable the timewarp killing featrue

25 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I have over 50 craft in orbit, kerbalism always kill the time warp every time some parts fail. 

But I need a 100 year consistent time warp in order to get to Proxima Centauri b , so I just wanna know how to disable the timewarp killing featrue

Just pull up the vessel info page and look at the Auto tab. 

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The airlock dynamics we were talking about. To do it proper, support for multiple separed habitats would be necessary (even if one is just a tiny one meant to be a simple airlock).

Right, that's what I'm not clear on. 

If you know the volume of the part your kerbal is leaving on EVA, you know how much air is lost. Then I assume you could expend the air lost, in the same way you already calculate air used by respiration. I'm not clear on why multiple habitats are needed, although obviously I didn't write the code. 

When a habitable part goes from "Disabled" to "Enabled," doesn't Kerbalism expend nitrogen and oxygen to repressurize the disabled part?

Hahaha! :o

what! I tried it now. The mechanics totally changed. I was half way to Mun about to deliver the food and water module, my ship supplier went blackout of nowhere. Only then I realized that something crazy is up on the signal mechanics.

I would like to hold ShotGunNinja RESPONSIBLE (hehehe) for slaughtering,

1 kerbal on Mun Base East, 7 on Mun Base West, 6 Mun Surface Laboratory and 8 MIAs.

and probably 16 more on Mun and 7 Kerbin Space Stations.

....for a whooping 22 counts of murder. As I will have no means of delivering the life supply on time. Luckily my Kerbin and Mun Space Station is equipped with the state of the art stuffs that I can still.... maybe... save or salvage the remains of the fallen Kerbals. We will see.

This is no means flaming but LOVING IT. It's a pity I didn't get to use this mod before I start my career. I would have lessen the Kerbalism casualty from the start.

Thank you and more power for making this mod.

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

You can uncheck the alerts and it will, you have to do it for every vessel. 

1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I have too many of them, is there a way to adjust them altogether

18 minutes ago, eberkain said:

not that I am aware of.  

@ShotgunNinja as my own game progresses I'm in this boat more and more, too. Perhaps some button could be added to forget retire mothball old craft, where it really doesn't matter if they break down?