[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

28 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I did reply to you already about this. Other mods are de-facto supporting the default profile and you can't realistically expect them to support each profile individually.

Wait... Where did you get the idea I was trying to make other mod devs somehow support multiple profiles? I don't recall making that point. The only point I made was that the profiles could be made to identify themselves. ('cept default). And at almost NO cost to you. This would allow me and I'm sure others to work on external patches that only match the profile being used. See? What about this exactly do you have a problem with? Seems strange.

If I can come up with an external patch that brings as of KPBS into the kerbalism realism profile as possible, and NOT have it collide with any other mod (or profile), doesn't that make sense? This would only be possible if YOU as mod dev makes it happen. No! It's not a slippery slope, cuz most everyone else out there wouldn't even care. The worst you'd get would be questions about why that single line was there.

28 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I suggested how is possible to replace the default profile waste resources with the realism profile ones globally

Why global? In the case of KPBS, less then a dozen or so parts need to be dealt with [Initially]. With your suggestion(s), you only solve part of the problem. The realism config pushes wonky results all over the place. Each part would need to be dealt with individually. Hence, global changes won't necessarily be needed. Won't that make MM process the files faster?

Anyway, tis your mod. Do as you see fit.

10 hours ago, dboi88 said:

If you add this to your game data folder it will add two new Radiation holding tanks and add's the ability to compress ore into shielding using the ISRU. Be warned it's damn inefficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUUjFmMzRiMXNBMnc/view?usp=sharing

Thank you very much, sir. Intsalling it now.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Mister Spock, @dboi88, @Death Engineering, @Fraz86, @Itsdavyjones

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll go with (A) then.ping all mods that added support for Kerbalism will use different waste resources depending on the profile in use.

@ShotgunNinja Thank god! Interplanetary travel at less than max warp is painfully slow. Option A plus buffing storage might be the easiest way to deal with this.

Edited by g00bd0g

On 04/06/2016 at 11:11 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@BashGordon33 Send me the log and savegame.

@ShotgunNinjahow would I send the log and savegame. The game didn't crash on me, and besides from the ship selection error I had no problems. How can I send you my save game? Is there like a private message thing that allows files? I'm pretty new to KSP and forums 

@BashGordon33 The log file is produced in any case, even when the game don't crash to desktop. The file is called KSP.txt and is inside the game install directory. The savegame is called persistent.sfs and is inside {GameDirectory}/saves/{YourSaveName}.

To send them, you can upload to google drive or other similar services and then send me a link posting here, or send me a PM using the 'mail' icon on top right of the screen.

Saw you had an update, which included support for TAC-LS as well as Remote Tech (as you previously indicated), so, I gave your mod another try.  And crashed....and crashed...and crashed.

Just still seem to be too many bugs and incompatibility with other mods, so uninstalled once again.

46 minutes ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Saw you had an update, which included support for TAC-LS as well as Remote Tech (as you previously indicated), so, I gave your mod another try.  And crashed....and crashed...and crashed.

Just still seem to be too many bugs and incompatibility with other mods, so uninstalled once again.

These two mods work fine with Kerbalism for most so it's more likely an error on your part or another incompatibility with a different unknown mod. It'd be more useful to post the crash log and more info rather than just saying it doesn't work you might get some help that way.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

@SFCGunny313 Right now players experience random crash to desktop with the stock game, especially in the VAB. It is unrelated to this mod. Maybe that is what you are experiencing, as this mod or any other mods can only possibly crash the executable by overflowing the call stack with infinite recursion (and that isn't the case with this mod).

RemoteTech support work this way: when you have RT installed, the signal mechanic disable itself. Pretty simple.

TAC isn't supported out of the box, you will need to use the Barebone profile (look in profiles directory). Else you will have messy interactions between this mod life support mechanics and TAC ones. But still no crashes.

@dboi88 Sorry I didn't (yet), I need to install some part mods first to test it. However I suspect it is that high timewarp inconsistency in EC consumption/production: it may happen for antenna only as their EC is consumed separately from the background processing of other modules, so what I think is happening is that the relay antenna consume all EC before the solar panels have a chance to produce anything (resulting in missing link). I'll add a speculative fix for this in next version.

2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@dboi88 Sorry I didn't (yet), I need to install some part mods first to test it. However I suspect it is that high timewarp inconsistency in EC consumption/production: it may happen for antenna only as their EC is consumed separately from the background processing of other modules, so what I think is happening is that the relay antenna consume all EC before the solar panels have a chance to produce anything (resulting in missing link). I'll add a speculative fix for this in next version.

Cheers, that sounds like a plan. Leave my save for now then, we'll see if the issue persists through the next update, if it does i'll take the time to try and recreate in stock for you.

@ShotgunNinja

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the work going into this mod.  I got to reduce mod volume/maintenance while adding radiation and solar storms so I have additional planning considerations like the Van Halen belt leaving LKO (I know wrong name but in my universe Kerbals are huge 80's hair band fans).

If I can break away a little free time I'll build mm patches for some of my favorites like Dr. Jet's dual-axis tracking solar panels and Blue Dog's probes and antennae and send those your way.  This week my Jira look a little like "Of course I can do that, I'm the expert", so it isn't likely before the weekend.

Quick questions.  If I'm reading things correctly radiation isn't permanently cumulative. Is it reset on any planet with a magnetosphere or just Kerbin?  Just curious, still early in a new career game but Jeb's been through the Van Halen built a few times and I'd like to let him know it's safe before he and Mrs. Jeb try to have Kerbalkins.

Back on track.  Thanks for a pretty amazing consolidation of processes, the only thing I would change is shortened radio ranges to force more relays and that should be doable with an mm patch on my end.

@Rik Radiation accumulated by kerbals is reset when they go back home at the KSP. Magnetospheres only stop more radiation from being accumulated. So Jeb is fine :)

For the antenna ranges, you can customize them by putting this in a .cfg file somewhere in GameData:

AntennaScope
{
  name = orbit
  range = 1e6
}

AntennaScope
{
  name = near
  range = 1e9
}

to redefine the default ranges, and is also possible to define new ones. You will find more information about this here.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Thanks, that will make it much faster.  Now I have to go build a functional form using impossible processes in an end users' imaginary world while attending unnecessary meetings.  They skipped this part back when I was in school or I may have considered a different major.

Before I embrace the pain that is Apex.  Continuous accumulation implies interesting implications for the Civilian Population mod.  Would the Inkerbable Hulk turn pink and take up more space? Could a four armed Kerbal get a buff to his/her Engineer start level?  Would extra eyes improve Kerbal piloting skills by enhancing depth perception?

Obviously none of the preceding where serious requests or ideas, I was really just avoiding work for ten more minutes which I now have to go make up... blast it.

13 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Rik Radiation accumulated by kerbals is reset when they go back home at the KSP. Magnetospheres only stop more radiation from being accumulated. So Jeb is fine :)

For the antenna ranges, you can customize them by putting this in a .cfg file somewhere in GameData:

AntennaScope
{
  name = orbit
  range = 1e6
}

AntennaScope
{
  name = near
  range = 1e9
}

to redefine the default ranges, and is also possible to define new ones. You will find more information about this here.

So if your inside a magnetosphere you receive less radiation damage? And when outside it you receive some kind of 'cosmic radiation', which dramatically increases the amount of radiation you are exposed to? Is it possible to change the magnetosphere? I play with New Horizons (Kerbin now orbits a gas giant) and every time I leave Kerbin I get cosmic radiation, despite Sonnah's influence (The gas giant.) Also, that error I had seemed to have fixed itself. I think it was just a bad download, because I stopped having the issue when 1.0.1 came out.And I know these belt things are chosen based on the planets radius, but it it possible to indirectly modify this be fooling the program into thinking the body is a different radius?

There is a problem with Communotron 8. It doesn't play well with stock antenna range mechanics but acts more like AntennaRange mod. In any case, it must spend mutch more electricity even at Mun distance.

@BashGordon33 You can see how far in space the magnetosphere and radiation belts are for every celestial body, in the planner. Look in radiation panel tooltips.

@odya-kun I think what you are seeing is just how this mod signal system is supposed to work. Is similar to AntennaRange, but with explicit relaying, background EC consumption and a different transmission cost model.

@ShotgunNinja

Hi ShotgunNinja,

I'm currently trying out Kerbalism instead of my usual TAC Life Support and RemoteTech setup, as RemoteTech is suffering from precision problems due to insufficiencies at the current state of KSP 1.1.x.

Since the latest update to Kerbalism (v1.0.1), which I installed using CKAN (including the default profile), I noticed that rescue missions do not work correctly. I'm not using RealFuel, but Kerbalism keeps adding Hydrazine to any vessel in distress waiting for a rescue mission. However it does not add any MonoPropellant. When the Kerbal inside leaves the vessel to transfer to the rescue ship by EVA suit, Kerbalism warns that there is no MonoPropellant available and that the Kerbal should not let go of the ladder. The only fuel resource displayed for that unfortunate Kerbal is the empty EVA MonoPropellant reservoir.

The problem can be circumvented by editing the save file (adding MonoPropellant to the vessel where Hydrazine is present), but I'm sure that is not what you intended.

Thought I should let you know.

Yours

Mark