[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On 3/3/2017 at 9:34 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

Maybe I can make these experiments produce both data and samples, together, in proportion of xmitDataScalar. Example: an experiment has xmitDataScalar=0.9, it will produce 90% data and 10% samples on collection.

Could that improve the situation?

I'm a little bit torn on this. 

One of the things I really like about Kerbalism's Science model is that it does assume an experiment is either producing data or samples. It just makes more sense to me.  

A thermometer doesn't need to be returned. 

On the other hand, a Materials Study does need to be returned. 

For a camera, though, it makes sense to have both. Back in the pre-digital era, an orbital camera would take a picture with film, develop it, then scan the result and broadcast the image back to Earth. This is how the Soviets sent back the first pictures of the far side of the Moon, and since they used the formal developed for wire photos, this is why Jodrell Bank published those pictures first. 

Naturally, the image would be degraded, so for that experiment, it makes sense that a portion of the Science can be broadcast while another chunk is a "sample" (actually, the film cannister). 

So I guess it would be nice to customize it on an experiment level. 

About the samples, it appears to me in the game that pressure and temperature data are sample and need to be returned, how can I change that thing ?

I have seen in the Science.cfg that both experiments are set to 1 :

@MODULE[*ModuleScience*]:HAS[#experimentID[temperatureScan]]      { @xmitDataScalar = 1 }
  @MODULE[*ModuleScience*]:HAS[#experimentID[barometerScan]]        { @xmitDataScalar = 1 }

However, they still untransmittable

Edited by iDInkeD06

On 2/26/2017 at 11:12 PM, DavidHunter said:

Just launched a dozen identical probes to Duna and Eve. I understand Kerbalism is responsible for parts malfunctioning.

Well, anyway, one of my landers made it all the way to Eve and then the fairing protecting the command probe and all antennas (which was meant to be jettisoned 1km above ground during landing) was jettisoned when in orbit (as a result of a malfunction in the PF brought on by Kerbalism).

Long story short, I should've invested more instead of going with the crappy quality fairings (and control wheels, and everything else that failed during the interplanetary trek).

Anyway, could you please create a button that lets the user switch the quality on ALL parts in a craft when in the VAB? Instead of having to click each and every part... 

Better yet, a system that lets the user decide which quality is the default for specific parts, e.g. it'd be nice if I could set payload fairings to always be of the higher quality, even in other designs...

Just an idea. Thanks in advance. :)

Follow-up idea: please make it possible to set message options in-bulk for all vessels of a particular type. For instance, it'd be good to be able to turn of battery messages for all relay vessels.

My reason for wanting this is not because I'm bad at planning satellite shadowing, but because KSP Interstellar's reactors seem to stop producing power when in 1000x time warp (or faster), and I have several hundred relay vessels, all with their own small nuclear reactor, and no batteries, so whenever I do any time warping, I always get spammed by battery warning messages...

(A better solution would be for Kerbalism to detect KSPI reactors on a particular vessel and disabling battery messages for that vessel, assuming the reactor is working fine... but I understand that may be harder to code for...)

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by DavidHunter

54 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

because KSP Interstellar's reactors seem to stop producing power when in 1000x time warp (or faster)

It's worth noting that Near Future Technologies reactors seem to be properly supported by Kerbalism. At least I had lots of problems using USI Nuclear Reactors, but zero problems using NFT reactors.

Okay, so I desperately needed a part that adds additional ECLSS slots, but there seemed to be none, so I came up with this guy here:

+PART[kerbalism-chemicalplant]:BEFORE[Kerbalism]
{
  @name = LSModule
  @title = External ECLSS Module
  @category = Utility
  @description = Seeing the lack of ECLSS redundancy, mission control urgently ordered us to cenvert this chemical plant to an external ECLSS module. Guaranteed to explode only 147.28 % as often as the original.

MODULE:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = ProcessController
    title = ECLSS
    redundancy = Life Support
    repair = true // anyone
    mtbf = 72576000 // 8y
    extra_cost = 2.5
    extra_mass = 0.1
  }

MODULE
    {
        name = ProcessController
        resource = _Scrubber
        title = Scrubber
        capacity = 1
        running = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ProcessController
        resource = _PressureControl
        title = Pressure control
        capacity = 1
        running = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ProcessController
        resource = _WaterRecycler
        title = Water recycler
        capacity = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = Configure
        title = Recycler
        slots = 2

SETUP
        {
            name = Scrubber
            desc = Sequester <b>CarbonDioxide</b> from the internal atmosphere.
            mass = 0.01
            cost = 250

MODULE
            {
                type = ProcessController
                id_field = resource
                id_value = _Scrubber
            }
        }

SETUP
        {
            name = Pressure Control
            desc = Use <b>Nitrogen</b> to maintain the internal atmosphere at a comfortable pressure.
            tech = engineering101
            mass = 0.01
            cost = 250

MODULE
            {
                type = ProcessController
                id_field = resource
                id_value = _PressureControl
            }
        }

SETUP
        {
            name = Water Recycler
            desc = Filter impurities out of <b>WasteWater</b>.
            tech = spaceExploration
            mass = 0.05
            cost = 500

MODULE
            {
                type = ProcessController
                id_field = resource
                id_value = _WaterRecycler
            }
        }
    }
}

This adds a new part in the Utility category called "External ECLSS Module" with two ECLSS slots. It is an exact copy of the small chemical plant, copied and assigned new functionality by an MM patch.

Also, someone please help me how to add this part to the nameless Kerbalism category...

On ‎2017‎년 ‎3‎월 ‎4‎일 at 3:36 AM, blakemw said:

Hah, I managed to reproduce it. Seems planting a flag is important.

• Land a vessel with a command pod and probe core where this is no signal
  • Go on EVA
  • Plant Flag
  • Get back in, control should now be locked out.
  • Control for that vessel will remain locked out even if you load a save from before planting the flag.
  • Control can be restored by restarting the game, or removing the flag.

It probably isn't needed but here's a save from which to reproduce the steps.

Reproduced on: Linux 64bit, mods: Only Kerbalism, MM and KER.

PS. I believe I also had control lockout occur in orbit without a flag: I believe that was using KIS/KAS and manipulating some parts.

Thank you! Your solution worked.

I encountered the same 'EVA lockout' bug, and taking down the flag broungt back the controllability, indeed. 

I'm running my KSP_64 on windows10 with tons of mods.

Seems like I can't mark any landed site with flag anymore. :sticktongue:

@blakemw Thanks to your reproduction steps, I was able to reproduce the issue with control loss, after planting the flag. There seem to be no exceptions, and the flag appear in the list of valid vessels in the monitor (and it should not...). I'll dig this and hopefully fix it for next version.

19 hours ago, APlayer said:

Also, someone please help me how to add this part to the nameless Kerbalism category...

All parts with tags containing '_kerbalism' are shown in the custom category in the vab.

On 3/5/2017 at 2:38 PM, iDInkeD06 said:

However, they still untransmittable

They should be...

Just found out that this mod makes the Mobile Lab into mere science converter. It's so sad that the Lab lost its own functional science generator functions.

While it's true that stock Mobile Lab exploits science data by allowing users to get duplicated points from it, it also provides more motivation to create space stations and do something like this.

Spoiler

zHuw5QB.jpg

JCPOY78.jpg

z3PbxDp.jpg

I think that getting extra science points by bringing the data collected from surface into the orbit and do some science stuff in micro-gravity make sense.

So is there any plan to give the Lab more advantage that current converter function? If not, is there any way to use the stock lab function while using the current science system provided by this mod?

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@JWS Unfortunately the stock lab require a stock science container to work, so it can't work with the Science feature of this mod. And working around it is not really possible, at least at the moment.

Ah, Okay. Still hoping for more useful lab though. 

Thanks again for the reply.

@ShotgunNinja could you please tell me if something is a feature of kerbalism, or some bug/kraken of mine?

I had this heavy probe on the way to duna - complete with LFO tanks and a rocket engine. In mid-travel, several parts close to the engine started heating up without aparent reason (for me anyway), and the whole thing exploded when temperatures got too high.

I can't say if this was the effect of my engine presenting a mod-created malfunction, this intentional, or if it was a problem of my own game. 

Quickloading made it happen again. A slighly different probe relaunched afterwards presented the same problem. But other completelly different vessels I built later on didn't. 

Final question: radiation from radioisotope generators do not generate enough heat to be the cause of the explosion, or do they?

Thanks

D

@Daniel Prates There is a known KSP bug that is triggered on some occasions when the vessel is loaded. If you look at the logs in the alt-F12 panel, you will see a line indicating a strangely high temperature being applied to the vessel on load. It is more frequent when you have thermal-related parts (RTG, ISRU, Drills...) but can happen with any type of vessel. But it only happens when you switch to an unloaded vessel or by getting out of timewarp, if that's not your case then it should be something else.

This said, It seems to me that this very rare bug gets triggered a lot more when using Kerbalism, and I think it may be related to the malfunction/reliability system. I had a Minmus base that kept exploding from an all-parts overheating at the exact same time I received a malfunction message from one of its parts, and it happened while I was on another vessel : the base overheated while I wasn't there, which I believe isn't possible in stock.

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

They should be...

Yeah that's the point, I'll ensure myself something isn't wrong, but that's especially with these 2 experiments, others are running well

And about the loss of control after EVA bug, to remove the flag seems to be a great part of the problem, as soon as I retired the flag I had a connection link again

3 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

@Daniel Prates There is a known KSP bug that is triggered on some occasions when the vessel is loaded. If you look at the logs in the alt-F12 panel, you will see a line indicating a strangely high temperature being applied to the vessel on load. It is more frequent when you have thermal-related parts (RTG, ISRU, Drills...) but can happen with any type of vessel. But it only happens when you switch to an unloaded vessel or by getting out of timewarp, if that's not your case then it should be something else.

This said, It seems to me that this very rare bug gets triggered a lot more when using Kerbalism, and I think it may be related to the malfunction/reliability system. I had a Minmus base that kept exploding from an all-parts overheating at the exact same time I received a malfunction message from one of its parts, and it happened while I was on another vessel : the base overheated while I wasn't there, which I believe isn't possible in stock.

Thanks @Gotmachine. From what you are describing, that is exactelly what happens. Glad to know it is rare.

Stil....

I would welcome if Kerbalism had this as an specific malfunction catastrophic failures! Though to be fun, it would have to happen very rarelly. It would give the game even more unpredictability. 

8 hours ago, 影之瑒 said:

I love this Mod so much,but I find there is a few life support parts and it can't be adjusted the size,So does this mod support TAC-LS or USI-LS? And will this Mod plan to add some new parts later?

What kind of part do you want that is not offered?

8 hours ago, 影之瑒 said:

I love this Mod so much,but I find there is a few life support parts and it can't be adjusted the size,So does this mod support TAC-LS or USI-LS? And will this Mod plan to add some new parts later?

You could use TweakScale

I used to not like TweakScale, but it works really well for reducing parts list clutter if a mod only provides a very limited range of sizes, and suggests using TweakScale if you want larger parts. I don't really like TweakScale for engines, but it makes a heap of sense for storage parts.

13 hours ago, 影之瑒 said:

As far as I can see, Kerbalism runs along the same path as TACLS.  You can delete the LS modules in the default profile of kerbalism and just use any life support you would like!

Peace.

13 hours ago, blakemw said:

You could use TweakScale

I used to not like TweakScale, but it works really well for reducing parts list clutter if a mod only provides a very limited range of sizes, and suggests using TweakScale if you want larger parts. I don't really like TweakScale for engines, but it makes a heap of sense for storage parts.

However,it dose't support TweakScale _(:з」∠)_

@Gotmachine, since we are at it, let me pose a question about radiation and the 'poisoned atmosphere' as a cause of death: am I right to understand that the PB-NUK radioisotope generator slowly kills the kerbals, due to it's ionizating emissions? 

22 hours ago, 影之瑒 said:

The correct thing to do is to use the TAC PROFILE for kerbalism, which is downloadable separetelly in 'space dock'. 

https://spacedock.info/mod/1128/Kerbalism TAC profile

Make sure you do the 'by the book' installation, meaning, unzip the content of the zip file directly inside your KSP main folder, to make sure everthing goes to the right place.

This, of course, presuming you already have TAC installed. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

Hi folks,

I'm currently experiencing a strange problem when running KSP v1.2.2 64bit on Windows with Kerbalism installed.

My mod configuration:

KSP-AVC
KerbalEngineerRedux
Kerbalism
xScience
ModuleManager
PlanetShine
PlanetShine-Config-Default
MagiCore
StageRecovery

(installed and updated by CKAN, all up-to-date for KSP v1.2.2, no more updates availible)

Does anyone have a similar mod config causing trouble with Kerbalism?

My problem is:

First, Kerbalism runs fine. After playing for a while, especially when recovering a vessel and launching a new one, Kerbalism often (if not most of the time) looses track of the active vessels, showing no vessels at all in it's own menu, it's just blank as if there weren't any vessels. Only way to recover from this situation seems to be restarting KSP. When the problem occurs, no more resource usage is calculated by Kerbalism, it's a bit like cheating, 'cause food and oxygen last forever, even if you've got only tiny amounts aboard.

@ShotgunNinja

If you need more information, please tell me. I'll try to provide all you need for debugging. But perhaps the problem is already known?

Mark

Hi, love the mod.

Couldn't find anything in the thread about this possible conflict, using mod version 1.2.0 on KSP 1.2.2
Just had my first malfunction, LV-909 Terrier engine (just a malfunction, not critical failure). Now a Kerbal is stuck in orbit with only 16 days of Oxygen left. He's a pilot, not an engineer, and I need 13 days to upgrade the Astronaut Complex to allow spacewalks anyway. Great stuff. Time for an epic rescue.

Only issue is, when I go to the vessel and test it out, the engine still works fine - produces thrust, consumes fuel. It's highlighted in yellow, in the part details it says 'engine: malfunction', but everything still works.

I've done a bit of testing and narrowed down the problem to RealPlumes - I've removed the base mod, the stock configs, and smokescreen, and everything seems to work as intended now. 
Just thought I'd let people know in case similar problems crop up.