[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Can you send me a screenshot? I can't figure out what you are not seeing.

lfHrCeW.png

This tab for Kerbalism in the VAB/SPH parts menu doesn't have a text label pop up when I hover my mouse over it

Edited by Drew Kerman

@Drew Kerman It is like that from the beginning. I didn't know what to put in it, both 'Life support' and 'mod name' seemed wrong. So it was left empty.

@fourfa I started designing 'thermal control', but then did the same with the new 'solar wind' simulation, and that lead me to research 'radiation' and 'shielding' in deep. I had some nice idea along the way. So now I'm designing a new 'Fast Flux Simulation' to unificate many things under a single simulation: electromagnetic and plasma emissions, radiation fields and even the signal system.

As this changes a lot of stuff, I'm taking some time to think before going into coding. Thermal control is on hold for now.

7 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@New Horizons Ok I understand now... so, you have no connection on an unmanned vessel. The vessel is in fact not controllable, including all experiment parts. But [x] Science allow you to collect them anyway.

That is not intended. It is a consequence of the two mods being completely unaware of each other.

In a sense of role play and self control it could help to know, when there really is a connection and a ship is controlable. Could you use the stock display for signal strength somehow? Remotech does something like that, too.

Edited by New Horizons

15 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Jozay
Mmm, just an idea but try maybe adding ModuleAlternator with an output of Atmosphere resource.

As far as idea's go, this one is pretty darn good. I can't wait to get home to try and implement this! I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Update: So I'm able to hard code this into the engine I'm using and it works! (I used the atmosphere value from the pressure process using nitrogen and the oxygen value from the electrolysis. I'll have to play with them to find a sweet spot later.)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAlternator
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = Atmosphere
			rate = 0.00035
		}

name = ModuleAlternator
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = Oxygen
			rate = 0.5065967706
		}
	}

Another question I have is if (with your permission of course) there is a way to edit the Default.cfg in the Kerbalism --> Profiles folder and add some sort of code that will check if any engine uses intake air as a propellant and insert this code instead of going into every engine (included other part mods) and adding it manually? I've tried adding the following with no success, but am still playing around with it as well as checking other resources on the web to try and implement it correctly.

@PART[*]:HAS[#PROPELLANT name=IntakeAir]:NEEDS[ProfileDefault]:FOR[Kerbalism]

The only problem I foresee with this code is an engine using a closed cycle mode (ex. Rapier engine) will continue to produce atmosphere and oxygen as it travels into space and beyond... :/

Edited by Jozay
Update

So I've been working to create a self-sustaining colony on Laythe along with Extraplanetary launchpads and I've noticed just how absolutely pitiful the output is with the ISRU for LF/O production. To fill my SSTO with 3 dedicated Convert-o-Tron 250s with essentially unlimited supplies, it will take 400 Kerbal days to create the 24000 LF necessary.

Would it be possible to later unlock either more efficient or more productive versions of the ISRU refinement? Even if it uses double, quadruple the resources to increase the output? I don't particularly want to spam ISRUs all over the base to make up for it, since part count = lag. I know I could edit the config files, but I'd rather have a genuine unlockable mechanism to increase productivity.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:07 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

I started designing 'thermal control', but then did the same with the new 'solar wind' simulation, and that lead me to research 'radiation' and 'shielding' in deep. I had some nice idea along the way. So now I'm designing a new 'Fast Flux Simulation' to unificate many things under a single simulation: electromagnetic and plasma emissions, radiation fields and even the signal system.

Is there going to be changes to emissions from nuclear devices? It'd be neat if they take inverse square law into account, like taking the weighted average of the distance between the emitter and each crewed component and calculating how much distance should reduce the irradiation. Like if you make an interplanetary ark and have 50m of fuel tanks between the nuclear engines and the crew the exposure would be quite minimal compared with bolting an LV-N under a lander can. An actual calculation of shielding would be even cooler, but just inverse square law would probably suffice and could be a static analysis and not need to take into account things like the amount of fuel in tanks changing.

@blakemw All sources of radiation will emit in certain EM bandwidth and various plasma elements, including local emitters. This will allow for example the RTGs to emit in the infrared, or nuclear devices to emit atom nuclei and gamma radiation. Or the active shield to absorb plasma elements to varying degrees.

Then shielding may get just a bit more involved with multiple types (high-z, low-z) and secondary effects (eg: high-z re-emit gamma when it absorb electron). In fact any resource on the vessel can be made to interact with the radiation fluxes. So it will be possible to have water or fuel on-board absorb something, for example. But I haven't decided yet about secondaries, they are possible to implement but maybe that's too complex to manage.

About taking locality of emitter into account: it has been on the todo list for a long time and honestly I would like to add it. But that is more work than it look, even without taking occlusion into account. So it could be included or not.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:00 PM, klugeh01 said:

I dont know if this was issued as i didn't go through the 680 post but i may have found a bug

think of my ship as an command module and a Lunar module. the command module have antenna power and solar panel. The LM have a pilot (Jeb) no antenna power and supply.
mission went on for like 1-2 day and said pilot mental and physical health show as OK!

Problem is i exited the LM (once landed on the mun) did my thing but then when i climb back in.... it block all control, as if i didn't have any pilot in.

Edited by karst45
quoted someone with my own text?!

Any idea what makes my landers shimmy the entire time I'm landed on the Mun? The legs look sunk into the surface and the lander wobbles..while slowly moving. If I place something on the ground and switch to another kerbal the part will then elevate above the ground about 100 meters and be stuck there. Any thoughts on what might cause this glitch? I don't think it has anything to do with Kerbalism, just curious if someone on here might have an idea or possibly experienced this? I have about 80 mods installed and I haven't listed them so I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just curious if anyone has experienced this before? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

5 minutes ago, smckamey19 said:

Any idea what makes my landers shimmy the entire time I'm landed on the Mun? The legs look sunk into the surface and the lander wobbles..while slowly moving. If I place something on the ground and switch to another kerbal the part will then elevate above the ground about 100 meters and be stuck there. Any thoughts on what might cause this glitch? I don't think it has anything to do with Kerbalism, just curious if someone on here might have an idea or possibly experienced this? I have about 80 mods installed and I haven't listed them so I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just curious if anyone has experienced this before? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

Why not start a new thread on the support forum instead of posting on random other mod threads? SVT made sense, but if you don't think kerbalism is causing it, why post here? Btw, you need to try some basic troubleshooting. Remove all of your mods and try the ones that you think may be the cause. Nobody is going to be willin to go through your 80+ mods to figure the issue for you. You need to try to narrow it down to just a handful of mods.

2 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Completely incompatible. Kerbalism gets rid of some stuff that MKS needs to function in order to be able to have backgroun processing. 

Daaaaaamn. Is that liable to be a permanent state of affairs?

This is probably the most painful choice between mods I've ever had to make!

@baldamundo For station building you can get Nertea Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

Note that MKS+USI-LS are incompatible for a good reason. The two mods are doing the same things with different goals : Kerbalism is aimed at providing a somewhat realistic (and hard) set of rules for life support, ISRU and self-sustainability while MKS+USI-LS is offering a "Kerbalized", relatively easy and unrealistic but complex self-sustainability system.

What could eventually happen is a MM patch that alter MKS/USI-LS parts by removing USI specific modules to replace them with kerbalism modules. A small plugin could take care of hiding the MKS/USI-LS GUI. But as far as I know, nobody has tried that.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:49 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@karst45 Update the mod to last version: 1.2.5

already did by the time i posted this, it worked for 1 orbit around the mun but then went back to the "cant control the ship"

will the problem still be present on ship already in orbit but new ship will be fine?

@Sweetie bot As the distances increase, and so the time of travel, the radiation and its countermeasures become unbalanced. You are going to Mars, maybe a 200 gigameters trip. But the radiation rule was balanced for a solar system where that same trip bring you out of the heliopause and into interstellar space.

Somebody posted a profile for RSS some pages back. Alternatively you can edit Profile/Default.cfg (or classic if you are using that), at line 153 there is the rule that deal with radiation.

Rule
{
  name = radiation
  degeneration = 1.0     // << lower this to 'slow down' radiation poisoning, 0.1 may be a good value for RSS
}

13 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Sweetie bot As the distances increase, and so the time of travel, the radiation and its countermeasures become unbalanced. You are going to Mars, maybe a 200 gigameters trip. But the radiation rule was balanced for a solar system where that same trip bring you out of the heliopause and into interstellar space.

Somebody posted a profile for RSS some pages back. Alternatively you can edit Profile/Default.cfg (or classic if you are using that), at line 153 there is the rule that deal with radiation.

Rule
{
  name = radiation
  degeneration = 1.0     // << lower this to 'slow down' radiation poisoning, 0.1 may be a good value for RSS
}

Sinceyawas...

Whats a good value for 6.4x scale?