[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, the_machemer said:

So does the simulator calculate shielding effectiveness based on the volume/mass of the entire craft

It does calculate it based on the amount of Shielding resource per-m² of habitat surface. More precisely, any part that has capacity for Shielding resource will influence the calculation.

I have a craft with max shielding but can only survive 416 days interplanetary, but when I remove the tanks and engines (accounting for 85% craft mass), the simulator says 10 years interplanetary

That is because nuclear engines emit radiation

are waste/waste water containers mandatory

No, the waste is dumped overboard if there is no storage capacity.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

6 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Mass is not taken into account. Maybe the tanks/engines you mention have some Shielding resource capacity, probably a custom patch of some kind. The fact is that, while it may seem intuitive for people to add Shielding capacity to nuclear engines or RTGs, the way shielding is evaluated result in counter-intuitive behaviours (that is exactly what you are seeing here).

So regardless of whats going on, does the simulator accurately reflect in game results or is it hard to say without knowing whats happening?

EDIT: the reason for this behavior seems to be the nuclear engines

Edited by the_machemer

@ShotgunNinja Hey man, I just checked out and downloaded the new update, I'm glad to see a SCOA process made it into the chemical plants, going to have fun using it.

Also, I think I figured out what was causing my issue with Magnetospheres pointing in incorrect directions. It was a combination of having MKS, Kerbalism, and Kerbol Star System installed. For whatever reason MKS was causing an issue with the rendering of your Magnetospheres when a non-stock star system is being used.

@chaoseclipse01 The SCO of NH3 into N2 is just a perfect fit with the rest of the chemical processes. It was a very good idea :) In last version I've also added the means to explicitly set orientation of radiation fields, maybe that could be useful in your case with KSS. There is some info about that in the release post.

@ShotgunNinja Glad to see my two cents could make a difference lol. About the only thing I'm curious about is if SCOA completely replaced the Monoprop Fuel Cell. I had issues with it at one point because it generated EC as a byproduct, and when my EC was at full (which I ensured I always had Overkill EC generation), the fuel cell refuses to work unless you purposely get rid of some EC.

Also, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to read the release to see how the manual magnetosphere alignment works now.

@chaoseclipse01 The problem is that, in a process, either the input rates adapt to output capacity left or they don't. So if I put 'dump = false' in the monoprop fuel cell, it always work at full regime (and that is not desiderable). If I put 'dump = true', it will stop when one of EC/Nitrogen/Water is full (and that too is not desiderable). So now I reworded it's description to clarify that is meant to be used as an emergency EC generator, and set it to 'dump = Nitrogen,Water'. Probably I'm going to get rid of it altogether in the next refactor.

@ShotgunNinja Ah, that makes a lot of sense, I can see it being an emergency generator when you're first starting out and don't have access to solar panels or anything yet. I just had problems with it late game when I had access to KSPI's multiple nuclear, fission, and Antimatter reactors that can generate obscene amounts of EC. Overall it's not a bad process to have, only maybe if it gets toned back so that it generates nitrogen at a rate similar to atmosphere leakage, because a couple of versions ago it could destroy large tanks of Oxygen like they were nothing.

Edit: I think the last part may have been due to the fact I was using the OPT K Shuttle cockpit a lot, it's beast in size (over 100 cubic meter interior), meaning the MFC had monsterous inputs and outputs.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

@the_machemer Sorry, somehow I have misunderstood your post. Yes, the issue in your case is simply that nuclear engines emit radiation. You can see the amount of radiation emitted locally in the planner 'radiation' section.

EMISSION.png

For your second question, what you see in the planner is a good indication of what you will experience in flight. The math is the same.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@the_machemer Sorry, somehow I have misunderstood your post. Yes, the issue in your case is simply that nuclear engines emit radiation. You can see the amount of radiation emitted locally in the planner 'radiation' section.

EMISSION.png

For your second question, what you see in the planner is a good indication of what you will experience in flight. The math is the same.

Wow, you bothered to fire up the game just to help an idiot who wasn't reading the planner carefully :D

Many thanks!

@the_machemer I take it you're like me and you're running on a really low end computer? (My really nice computer bit the dust about three months ago, I've been stuck using a crappy Toshiba Satellite that I got from my tech school to do much of anything these days, KSP takes like 25 to 30 minutes to load up with all the mods I have installed)

Edited by chaoseclipse01
Really bad typo

Hey, @ShotgunNinja , could you please help out a bit? Using Kerbalism, I designed a 3 Kerbal Eve fly-by mission, and took a greenhouse with them, since it seemed most weight-efficient. In VAB planner, the food estimation (with all crew onboard) was said to be 1 year and 116 days, which should have been more than enough for the mission. After I launched, I started the greenhouse, and it took 200 days to grow food. I had enough food supplies for Kerbals to last until the harvest with 30 days to spare. But the harvest yield turned out to be so minimal, that now I only have 166 days of food, and it's 200 days until next harvest... Meaning Kerbals will be long dead by then. There are still 277 days before return to Kerbin.

So what the hell? Why did the planner say I've got food for 1 year and 116 days if it is much less in reality?

I guess Jeb, Bill and Bob are doomed :/ Too many has happened during that mission to revert to an earlier savegame...

P.S. Also, how the heck do I protect the crew from Solar Storms? I had maximum shielding in the pod, but a storm came, and nearly killed everyone just now. Now they are definitely not making it back to Kerbin. The Active Shield part description said it doesn't protect from storms, so what does?

Edited by aluc24

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Hey, @ShotgunNinja , could you please help out a bit? Using Kerbalism, I designed a 3 Kerbal Eve fly-by mission, and took a greenhouse with them, since it seemed most weight-efficient. In VAB planner, the food estimation (with all crew onboard) was said to be 1 year and 116 days, which should have been more than enough for the mission. After I launched, I started the greenhouse, and it took 200 days to grow food. I had enough food supplies for Kerbals to last until the harvest with 30 days to spare. But the harvest yield turned out to be so minimal, that now I only have 166 days of food, and it's 200 days until next harvest... Meaning Kerbals will be long dead by then. There are still 277 days before return to Kerbin.

So what the hell? Why did the planner say I've got food for 1 year and 116 days if it is much less in reality?

I guess Jeb, Bill and Bob are doomed :/ Too many has happened during that mission to revert to an earlier savegame...

P.S. Also, how the heck do I protect the crew from Solar Storms? I had maximum shielding in the pod, but a storm came, and nearly killed everyone just now. Now they are definitely not making it back to Kerbin. The Active Shield part description said it doesn't protect from storms, so what does?

I know what you're going through. I experienced a problem with food shortage before. My guess is that you dumped the food into a container that didn't have at least 2500 units of food specific storage capacity, so you lost a large portion of food. The only way around that is to have at least one medium or one large food container specifically dedicated for food, then dump your greenhouse harvest directly into that container specifically. Another thing that helps is having more than one greenhouse, then stager the greenhouses so that you constantly get food every once in a while. I generally take four greenhouses with me on any trip beyond the Mun, then I start one greenhouse at launch, wait 50 days, start the second one, wait another 50 days, start the third one, wait 50 days again, then start the last one and harvest the first one. It's a little tedious, but it ensures you'll never have a food shortage ever, even with a 4 kerbal crew.

As far as solar storms go, you'd need close to 1000 of the active generators to shield against a solar storm. The point of the active shield is to protect against the average radiation your crew will face going between planets, otherwise you have to plan your missions so that way you're not out in interplanetary space when a solar storm strikes, meaning you need to be within a sufficiently strong enough magnetosphere before a storm rolls through. I hope all that helps.

6 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

I know what you're going through. I experienced a problem with food shortage before. My guess is that you dumped the food into a container that didn't have at least 2500 units of food specific storage capacity, so you lost a large portion of food. The only way around that is to have at least one medium or one large food container specifically dedicated for food, then dump your greenhouse harvest directly into that container specifically. Another thing that helps is having more than one greenhouse, then stager the greenhouses so that you constantly get food every once in a while. I generally take four greenhouses with me on any trip beyond the Mun, then I start one greenhouse at launch, wait 50 days, start the second one, wait another 50 days, start the third one, wait 50 days again, then start the last one and harvest the first one. It's a little tedious, but it ensures you'll never have a food shortage ever, even with a 4 kerbal crew.

As far as solar storms go, you'd need close to 1000 of the active generators to shield against a solar storm. The point of the active shield is to protect against the average radiation your crew will face going between planets, otherwise you have to plan your missions so that way you're not out in interplanetary space when a solar storm strikes, meaning you need to be within a sufficiently strong enough magnetosphere before a storm rolls through. I hope all that helps.

4 greenhouses for 4 kerbals? WHAT? You can't be serious. This is definitely not balanced... What if I wanted to send a 16 kerbal crew to start a small colony on Laythe? The greenhouses alone would probably make the ship larger than the VAB building.

I did have a storage 2500 large, and it was empty enough. Problem is, 1 greenhouse can barely feed 2 kerbals for these 200 days.

Could you please elaborate on "plan your missions so that way you're not out in interplanetary space when a solar storm strikes"? How the heck do I plan for it? These storms seem pretty much random, and it does take time to cruise between planets. For example, my Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin mission takes around 475 days, and 99% of that time is spent in interplanetary space. I get warning about solar storm several hours prior. So how exactly do I prepare for it?

Edited by aluc24

18 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

4 greenhouses for 4 kerbals? WHAT? You can't be serious. This is definitely not balanced... What if I wanted to send a 16 kerbal crew to Jool? The greenhouses alone would probably make the ship larger than the VAB building.

Could you please elaborate on "plan your missions so that way you're not out in interplanetary space when a solar storm strikes"? How the heck do I plan for it? These storms seem pretty much random, and it does take time to cruise between planets. For example, my Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin mission takes around 475 days, and 99% of that time is spent in interplanetary space. I get warning about solar storm several hours prior. So how exactly do I prepare for it?

I plan out my missions with overkill resource generation where possible. Honestly, 4 greenhouses would be more than enough for 20 Kerbals, but I plan for redundancy in mind. I also use the greenhouses as oxygen production and CO2 removal, and for Ammonia removal, as four Kerbals more than generate enough ammonia needed for 4 greenhouses.

And as far as when solar storms strike, you need to have at least one vessel out and active, and when you open the Kerbalism menu and hover over the electricity symbol, it'll tell you how much time is left before the next solar storm becomes active. I'm sure there's more than one way to find out when a CME is going to occur, but that's the only way I know off the top of my head right now.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

3 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

I plan out my missions with overkill resource generation where possible. Honestly, 4 greenhouses would be more than enough for 20 Kerbals, but I plan for redundancy in mind. I also use the greenhouses as oxygen production and CO2 removal, and for Ammonia removal, as four Kerbals more than generate enough ammonia needed for 4 greenhouses.

And as far as when solar storms strike, you need to have at least one vessel out and active, and when you open the Kerbalism menu and hover over the electricity symbol, it'll tell you how much time is left before the next solar storm becomes active.

Um... I hover over that symbol (tried both from the vessel and from VAB), and I don't get the next storm estimation. How exactly do I get that message to pop up?

10 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Um... I hover over that symbol (tried both from the vessel and from VAB), and I don't get the next storm estimation. How exactly do I get that message to pop up?

Hover over this Electric symbol:

3A5AACA72F64E474EFD2EE286B37BAD85C677C07

This message should pop up when you hover over that electricity symbol:

B5C25EB5E76AB335C39C99C5C55976DD5EF794BB

Just now, chaoseclipse01 said:

Hover over this Electric symbol:

3A5AACA72F64E474EFD2EE286B37BAD85C677C07

This message should pop up when you hover over that electricity symbol:

B5C25EB5E76AB335C39C99C5C55976DD5EF794BB

Um... I'm not getting this electricity symbol on any of my ships. So I need to have some instrument onboard for this to show up?

5 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Um... I'm not getting this electricity symbol on any of my ships. So I need to have some instrument onboard for this to show up?

That was just a single command module by itself. You have that symbol, it flashes back and forth between several different symbols depending on your situation. It can be that electricity symbol, a radiation symbol, a lit sun (indicating you're in direct sunlight), or a black sun (indicating you're blocked from sunlight). Whatever symbol it is, it's always going to be the symbol to the left of the battery symbol that indicates how much EC you have in the Kerbalism menu.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

2 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

That was just a single command module by itself. You have that symbol, it flashes back and forth between several different symbols depending on your situation. It can be that electricity symbol, a radiation symbol, a lit sun (indicating you're in directly sunlight), or a black sun (indicating you're blocked from sunlight). Whatever symbol it is, it's always going to the the symbol to the left of the battery symbol that indicates how much EC you have in the Kerbalism menu.

No, really, I'm not getting it. I have the unlit sun symbol appearing and disappear on various crafts, but nothing else. Here's a pic:

3pP64eB.jpg

2 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

No, really, I'm not getting it. I have the unlit sun symbol appearing and disappear on various crafts, but nothing else. Here's a pic:

(Picture)

Oh, I'm a derp. I forgot to say you need to click on the name of the craft and open it to get the detailed information to show. Then hover over that far left symbol. My bad on that one.

1 minute ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

Oh, I'm a derp. I forgot to say you need to click on the name of the craft and open it to get the detailed information to show. Then hover over that far left symbol. My bad on that one.

Still nothing...

8vdokrQ.jpg

1 minute ago, aluc24 said:

Still nothing...

(Picture)

Try forcing your active vessel to consume electricity without any kind of EC generation, or take active control of a vessel that's currently in shadow to have the black sun symbol appear, the picture I had that showed the message was when I had my active craft consuming EC on the launch pad during the night time.

What bugs me is that in earlier versions (Before Kerbalism 1.2.8) it used to state when the next CME was in both the VAB/SPH as well as the tracking station and map mode. I'm guessing ShotgunNinja did away with those indicators.

1 minute ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

Try forcing your active vessel to consume electricity without any kind of EC generation, or take active control of a vessel that's currently in shadow to have the black sun symbol appear, the picture I had that showed the message was when I had my active craft consuming EC on the launch pad during the night time.

What bugs me is that in earlier versions (Before Kerbalism 1.2.8) it used to state when the next CME was in both the VAB/SPH as well as the tracking station and map mode. I'm guessing ShotgunNinja did away with those indicators.

Well, I can get the black sun symbol appear in the active vessel, but I'm not getting that electricity symbol that you have. It's just just not there, I've tried pretty much every combination I can think of. If I hover over the black sun symbol, I'm just getting the "in shadow" message, and nothing else.

Just now, aluc24 said:

Well, I can get the black sun symbol appear in the active vessel, but I'm not getting that electricity symbol that you have. It's just just not there, I've tried pretty much every combination I can think of. If I hover over the black sun symbol, I'm just getting the "in shadow" message, and nothing else.

Are you currently going through a CME? Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the message appears when you're currently experiencing a CME, which can last up to 10 hours game time. Also, the electricity symbol only appears when you're consuming EC without generating EC.

Also, what version of Kerbalism are you using? I was using 1.2.8 when I took my pictures.