Fixed landing gear keep exploding

I started a fresh career in 1.1 and am in the very beginnings of the tech tree. I have a 12 part airplane, mk1 tank, 2 mk 2 tanks with two weaslys mounted to the ends of them, mk1 crew pod, two wings, tail section, tail fin, 4 elevons, single steerable gear up front and two fixed in the rear. Super simple craft, but the only way I can land it is in the water. I tried 15 or so times to land it on the runway and as soon as the gear touch the runway, boom! I had airspeed down to 57 m/s with vert less than 5 m/s, no way it should be blowing up. I am noticing that on take off the landing gear is clipping into the ground also. I have screenshots, the page says I'm not cool enough yet to add media to my posts. 

3 hours ago, Kuengineer said:

I started a fresh career in 1.1 and am in the very beginnings of the tech tree. I have a 12 part airplane, mk1 tank, 2 mk 2 tanks with two weaslys mounted to the ends of them, mk1 crew pod, two wings, tail section, tail fin, 4 elevons, single steerable gear up front and two fixed in the rear. Super simple craft, but the only way I can land it is in the water. I tried 15 or so times to land it on the runway and as soon as the gear touch the runway, boom! I had airspeed down to 57 m/s with vert less than 5 m/s, no way it should be blowing up. I am noticing that on take off the landing gear is clipping into the ground also. I have screenshots, the page says I'm not cool enough yet to add media to my posts. 

Make an Imgur account and upload them there. Then copy a link to the picture. Then click on the "Insert other media" tab and click on the "nsert image from URL". From there paste the link to the picture. 

I have similar issues with LY01/05 planes. Unless I lighten plane to ~3t it is too hard to land. 6t plane's wheels may blow up right after spawning, depending on wheel placement (but not on number of wheels used). But certain 6t models with same number of wheels may take off and land quite normally.

On 4/20/2016 at 6:03 AM, Kuengineer said:

I have a 12 part airplane, mk1 tank, 2 mk 2 tanks with two weaslys mounted to the ends of them, mk1 crew pod, two wings, tail section, tail fin, 4 elevons, single steerable gear up front and two fixed in the rear.

Remove all the fuel from the large tank and monoprop from the cockpit and try again, might be too heavy.

On 4/20/2016 at 6:03 AM, Kuengineer said:

I had airspeed down to 57 m/s with vert less than 5 m/s, no way it should be blowing up.

Vert should be less than 2m/s if at all possible.

Wheels have mass and impact limits now that must be respected.  The LY-1 and LY-5 wheels can't really be slammed around, they have low suspension travel which amplifies impacts and their low weight tolerance.  The wheel colliders are also pick about orientation so make sure they are attached to the fuselage and have as little camber, toe, or angle as possible.

The following two craft were built from the lowest tech tier of plane parts and can take off and land from the tier 1 runway with a bit of care.

The wing was lost to oversteering during the landing roll, just pilot error.

I have been having a very similar problem. I have built an aircraft, which worked just fine before the last update, and now its landing gear keep exploding upon hitting roughly 30 m/s during takeoff. It also appears as if they are partially sinking into the runway. The plane is using LY-01 and LY-05 landing gear, and I have upgraded the runway once.

Edited by ANGRYELEPHANT236
Wrong landing gear mentioned.

Is anyone have issues with the LY-1 and LY-5 wheels at time warp (higher simulation speed)? My 'plane' is rolling at just 2 m/s and stress on wheels is 5-10%. But when I use time warp to x2 it starts to jump wildly and some wheel quickly explodes due to overstress.

12 hours ago, Callmedave said:

i have this also see here:

5UxTaJM.png 

front wheel seems stuck under the surface of the runway. the runway has been upgraded to lvl 1, the plane is small and light.

It wont move at all. very odd.

no solution yet.

I'm running into this exact same situation.  I've been playing 1.1 for quite a while... and decided to go back to 1.05 just to make sure I wasn't going crazy... and well... I have sticky wheels that don't roll.  (embedded into the runway)

***********EDIT*************

I just installed 1.1.1... and all issues went away.  I just finished a bunch of site-survey contracts in a very simple aircraft (100% basic aviation parts.)  YEAH for non-stick tarmac!

Edited by TheCompWiz
Updated to 1.1.1

Just wanted to say "me too" on this issue. I'm having it with version 1.1.1. I can't seem to build an early tech tree plane with the fixed landing gear that'll land slow enough for these gear. The fixed landing gear just explode on contact with the ground or the runway. I don't seem to have much trouble taking off though it does seem to pull randomly to the left or right as I barrel down the runway. If these Explodey McSpodeface wheels are due to tweaking the tolerance of the gear then the early fixed landing gear is essentially rendered pointless, unless I can figure out how to land slower that my liftoff speed. Just downloaded the new 1.1.2 hotfix so am about to go try that and see if these gear are stronger than a soap bubble.

11 hours ago, TheCompWiz said:

... and 1.1.2 brought the issue back /sigh.

They should not have done, the wheels saw many fixes for 1.1.2

Try placing them further away from the science Jr, as if anything is clipping the wheel collider they will become blocked.

This may be the wrong thread for this, I'm running 1.0.5 on a Windows 10 machine. I've built science cars, as in the past, but they won't move on the runway, doesn't seem to matter how much thrust I apply, they just sit there. I'm reluctant to put time into building aircraft, if all they're going to do is sit on the ramp and burn fuel. 

All,

I have a new fix for the landing gear in 1.1.2 here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138567-112-basic-landing-gear-fixer/#comment-2550993

Best,
-Slashy

9 minutes ago, Mahatma Kane Jeeves said:

This may be the wrong thread for this, I'm running 1.0.5 on a Windows 10 machine. I've built science cars, as in the past, but they won't move on the runway, doesn't seem to matter how much thrust I apply, they just sit there. I'm reluctant to put time into building aircraft, if all they're going to do is sit on the ramp and burn fuel. 

1.0.5?

I don't know what to tell you there. We're several iterations beyond that now. Did you originally have 1.1 and then revert back?

If so, perhaps your .cfg files got screwed up. I have copies of the 1.0.5 .cfg files if you need them.

Best,
-Slashy

With the dampeners turned down, it's pretty obvious that something in the system is adding energy to the system.. perfectly stationary craft will bounce higher and higher until the gear explode.  Even with max dampener settings, it's not enough to stop the bouncing.  No matter how heavy a craft is or how poorly aligned the gear are, a stationary craft shouldn't bounce higher on subsequent bounces..

Slashy's tweak helps a lot.  The increasing bounce amplitude is still apparent with the dampener turned down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, annoying explodey landing gears brought me here but I think I have a solution to ops original problem.Had the same problem just an hour ago for myself.

I think, looking at your picture, that your engine's thrust is all hitting the back wing of your plane. If so then this is whats keeping you still. The thrust from your engine is hitting the wing and therefore pushing it back, cancelling the overall force on the plane making it seem dead or moving at a snails pace.

Basically, make sure nothing is directly behind your engines.

Hope this helps! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also experiencing this issue on the Xbox version. Besides my plane not moving at all sometimes (though I'll have to recheck, having in mind what Fuzznut said about the engine pushing your plane backwards), it also has the static landing gears stucked inside the ground or clipping it and jumping in place (the wheel stress bar goes up like crazy).

I've also experienced my planes rolling left or right on the runway for no reason at all, with or without SAS on, and with or without Torque Enabled.

I'm giving up of this until squad fixes it.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.