Rover Wheels Inoperable?

Dear Squad,

I am having some major problems with the 1.1 update. The rover wheel block check seems too strict for me, as it has stopped most of my rovers from working.

CS4Jb3s.pngThis is the Ok2Rov, which would have worked in 1.0.5. I needed to clip the wheels in slightly to make the rover fit in a service bay.

tXoQmVv.pngHowever, with the new 1.1 update, the check for whether or not the wheel is blocked makes designs like this solid as stone.

Can you please remove this feature, or make it less strict? (For example, only count it as blocked if the wheel itself is clipped into another part, and not the wheel assembly.)

11 hours ago, Dobelong said:

Can you please remove this feature, or make it less strict?

The disable upon clipped wheels is there for a good reason, as without it the wheels would interact with the parts near them, causing a kraken like effect when vessels load that can and will destroy your vessels. Normally we ignore collisions between parts on the same vessel to avoid this, but this is not possible with Unity 5 wheel colliders for the moment, for some complex reasons that I will not bore you with. The wheel collider itself is not always in the same position as the mesh you see due to suspension, among other things.

During prerelease we made this clipping check as small as possible without these issues re-surfacing. The size and position of the check are actually configurable in your settings.cfg, just search through there for "clip" and set the range to zero if you want to disable this feature. The choice is yours, but I highly encourage you not to do this. The best way to avoid this situation is to place your wheels further away from your craft.

Edited by Arsonide

I'm having this problem in an even worse way; I can't get some rover wheels to function at all, even if they are touching literally nothing at all, except for the runway and the point of attaching.
I have tried offsetting the wheels, removing and replacing them, and sometimes they just absolutely refuse to function. 

It's not just the wheels touching, but the sphere around it will affect the range of motion the wheels are liable to move into when steering etc. The blocking affect will also kick in sometimes if you bottom out the suspension going over large bumps if there's something overtop of the wheels. You may have noticed that the stock prospecting rover has a narrower flatbed in 1.1.1+.

If you bottom out the suspension and that happens, and assuming your rover survives the skidding stop, the blocking condition will usually clear if you reload the scene... so jump back to KSC and then back to your ship again.

DoesDoodles: When reporting issues like this, posting a screenshot will speak volumes, and greatly assist others in being able to tell you where things are an issue. Eg, the OP's screenshot shows exactly that his clipping problem is the probe body too close to the wheel, and not likely the solar panel at the top of the wheel mount.

Ah, right. Should've thought of that.
0d5d47259abf8bb7bfa2dbb79a547819.jpg

I've tried to give the wheels more space to turn, and at one point, I had the right front wheel functioning while the left front wheel was blocked, despite everything in the car being built in symmetry mode.
I've given the car landing gear to absorb the shock of dropping in after spawn, but to no avail. I've tried turning the steering off in the hangar and then launch it again, but that didn't work either. I've removed the front landing gear, since I feared that perhaps it could be clipping with the wheels ever so slightly, but that didn't help either.

ac990c0eb86afe8c0f52c451adcc4165.png

The front wheels were placed as pairs, the whole vehicle has been built in symmetry, and yet the right wheel isn't blocked while the left wheel is. (can't show the stats of both wheels at once and I want to avoid spamming images here, but it's visible due to the right wheel's suspension functioning correctly)

Edit: After literal hours of tedious tweaking and editing I managed to find a narrow spot, and a fuel tank that was sliiiightly clipping on one side. So, this one is fixed for now :P 

Edited by DoesDoodles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.