Craft name randomizer button

The thread about the description field made me realize how little craft names matter to me (let alone descriptions, I don't think I've ever used that field). I have long since run out of ideas for what to call a light-ish Mun lander or a medium spaceplane that can make orbit; filling in the name field is sometimes the hardest part of a design.

For those of us with this problem, I propose:

1. Add a roll-the-dice button next to the name field, a familiar idiom from RPGs with character creation
  2. When clicked, generate a random name for the craft in the form <adjective> <noun> <Roman numeral between I and L> from a lexicon of aerospacey names. If the name already exists in the save's Ships folder, generate a new one (and so on).

This would add variety and roleplay investment for those of us who are not naturally creative with names, as well as a bit of humor and unique style if the words in the lexicon are fun (and/or moddable??). Since clicking the button is optional, it ought not inconvenience players who enjoy crafting their own names, and since it's just a dice icon, it shouldn't take up too much screen space.

If there's a mod for this, I'll happily install it. Anyone else?

A couple obvious extensions to this idea, (probably as setting options):

Enforce order on the numbering, (e.g. if you have a Swift Sunrunner XI your next Swift Sunrunner will be at least XII).
  Probably combine this with a limitation on how fast they can go up, (e.g. the number is the previous number plus 1d6, the actual range being configurable).

Have a name lockout and a 'Version Increment' button.  So in any save you will only get "Swift Sunrunner" randomly once and any later use will only come from variations to that design.

Of course, we could add the ability to set a prefix for the numbering and/or selecting the use of Roman or Arabic numbers, (or both, sticking to one for any particular name).  Perhaps even allow a range of prefixes, also locking the choice for a given name.

So, taken as a whole you could get 'design families' like:

Able Archer Mk II, V, VII

Sterling Sunrise M1, M3, M4

Soaring Starfarer I, II, IV

Faithful Firefly M4 (obviously from the same design team as the Sterling Sunrise).

(Hmmm, perhaps a 'favour/enforce alliteration' option.)

3 hours ago, Chakat Firepaw said:

A couple obvious extensions to this idea, (probably as setting options):

Enforce order on the numbering, (e.g. if you have a Swift Sunrunner XI your next Swift Sunrunner will be at least XII).
  Probably combine this with a limitation on how fast they can go up, (e.g. the number is the previous number plus 1d6, the actual range being configurable).

Have a name lockout and a 'Version Increment' button.  So in any save you will only get "Swift Sunrunner" randomly once and any later use will only come from variations to that design.

Of course, we could add the ability to set a prefix for the numbering and/or selecting the use of Roman or Arabic numbers, (or both, sticking to one for any particular name).  Perhaps even allow a range of prefixes, also locking the choice for a given name.

So, taken as a whole you could get 'design families' like:

Able Archer Mk II, V, VII

Sterling Sunrise M1, M3, M4

Soaring Starfarer I, II, IV

Faithful Firefly M4 (obviously from the same design team as the Sterling Sunrise).

(Hmmm, perhaps a 'favour/enforce alliteration' option.)

I really need to pull my finger out and seriously develop/promote my mod - it's called Launch Numbering, it's available on Space Dock, and every time you launch a vessel, it adds an incremented number on the end (if it's not the first). So, you have a craft named "Spearfish". The first time it's launched, it's "Spearfish". Next time you launch, it's "Spearfish 2", then 3, etc.

Also, in the save file, you can tell it to use Roman rather than Arabic. You'd probably want to make that edit between launches 1 and 2. It's been updated for 1.1.

I just haven't gotten around to a) creating an "official" thread for it in the right part of this forum, and b) Put some UI in so that you can change things without editing the save file.

I may steal some of the ideas in this thread when I go back to working on it seriously.

Edited by Damien_The_Unbeliever
saying I'll take ideas into account

On 4/22/2016 at 1:08 PM, HebaruSan said:

The thread about the description field made me realize how little craft names matter to me (let alone descriptions, I don't think I've ever used that field). I have long since run out of ideas for what to call a light-ish Mun lander or a medium spaceplane that can make orbit; filling in the name field is sometimes the hardest part of a design.

For those of us with this problem, I propose:

1. Add a roll-the-dice button next to the name field, a familiar idiom from RPGs with character creation
  2. When clicked, generate a random name for the craft in the form <adjective> <noun> <Roman numeral between I and L> from a lexicon of aerospacey names. If the name already exists in the save's Ships folder, generate a new one (and so on).

This would add variety and roleplay investment for those of us who are not naturally creative with names, as well as a bit of humor and unique style if the words in the lexicon are fun (and/or moddable??). Since clicking the button is optional, it ought not inconvenience players who enjoy crafting their own names, and since it's just a dice icon, it shouldn't take up too much screen space.

If there's a mod for this, I'll happily install it. Anyone else?

Looks like someone heard your plea. I'm planning on using this along with @Damien_The_Unbeliever 's Launch Numbering Mod.

https://spacedock.info/mod/201/Launch%20Numbering

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎25 at 7:13 AM, Damien_The_Unbeliever said:

I really need to pull my finger out and seriously develop/promote my mod - it's called Launch Numbering, it's available on Space Dock, and every time you launch a vessel, it adds an incremented number on the end (if it's not the first). So, you have a craft named "Spearfish". The first time it's launched, it's "Spearfish". Next time you launch, it's "Spearfish 2", then 3, etc.

Also, in the save file, you can tell it to use Roman rather than Arabic. You'd probably want to make that edit between launches 1 and 2. It's been updated for 1.1.

I just haven't gotten around to a) creating an "official" thread for it in the right part of this forum, and b) Put some UI in so that you can change things without editing the save file.

I may steal some of the ideas in this thread when I go back to working on it seriously.

Have you considered creating a forum thread dedicated to it?  I myself came looking for you from CKAN, but all that metadata gives me is a link to the Spacedock page for the mod.  Quite difficult to find you otherwise.  Yes, I searched through the forums, but for error and bug reporting and feature requests, not having a go-to forum thread can turn away interest.

It should also be noted that some people use the forums exclusively for their method of finding new mods.

8 hours ago, MisterFister said:

Have you considered creating a forum thread dedicated to it?  I myself came looking for you from CKAN, but all that metadata gives me is a link to the Spacedock page for the mod.  Quite difficult to find you otherwise.  Yes, I searched through the forums, but for error and bug reporting and feature requests, not having a go-to forum thread can turn away interest.

It should also be noted that some people use the forums exclusively for their method of finding new mods.

Done. As I said, I've just been remiss in putting information out there.

I often struggle to come up wiith names for things I build. If lacking an idea for a name I could just click it a few times and get some inspirations from what I saw. I support this.

6 hours ago, Veeltch said:

I often struggle to come up wiith names for things I build. If lacking an idea for a name I could just click it a few times and get some inspirations from what I saw. I support this.

Even if Squad doesn't add random names, you can always go to a site like:

http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Ship_Names

http://www.chaoticshiny.com/sshipgen.php

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/name/#type=space;space=Spaceship

To grab some random names, I ran them a couple of times and got some that might be useful for Kerbal ships.  You might need to run a generator like that a few times as they tend to be more geared to give 'colourful' names for individual ships.  OTOH, a colourful name for a one-off might be exactly what you need, (why have another "Duna Explorer" when you can send the "RP-35 Rift Phoenix"?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.