SpaceY Inc. - Raptor 9 v2.0 testing underway! (Submit a payload)

Kerbiter

NOTE: I will be continuing Paler Blue Dot. This is another thing I will continue after Paler Blue Dot.

SpaceY Inc. - Cheaper. Better. Quicker.

We are currently developing a launch vehicle called the Raptor 1. This launch vehicle will only be able to lift very light payloads into low Kerbin orbit.

A test flight with a simple boilerplate satellite called RaptorSat will be launched soon. You can submit some light stock payloads and SpaceY will select a few to attempt to launch.

l0U3tAP.png

Please submit your payloads. We will consider every one of them. Thank you in advance.

- Elon Kerman, SpaceY CEO, and co-founder of KPal

MODS USED: SpaceY, KVV, VSR, Tantares LV (historically), Hullcam VDS, RealPlume, SpaceX Launch Towers, Tundra Exploration, and KerbalKonstructs

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to steal the name of the SpaceY mods from @NecroBones. SpaceY was a good alternate name for SpaceX and I think it works well. I love this dude's mods and I respect him in lots of ways. If this was too much of a precautionary measure, I will remove this disclaimer.

Edited by Kerbiter
new title cuz reasons

If you are interested, and could install Ven's Stock Re-Vamp, then I have a tiny ScanSat as a payload:

Specs:

Wet mass: 588kg

dV: 794m/s

Part count: 8

If you can't install VSR, then I'll re-do it for stock. If you like it and want the craft file, PM me.

31 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

If you are interested, and could install Ven's Stock Re-Vamp, then I have a tiny ScanSat as a payload:

Specs:

Wet mass: 588kg

dV: 794m/s

Part count: 8

If you can't install VSR, then I'll re-do it for stock. If you like it and want the craft file, PM me.

I use 1.0.5 so if the 1.1 Asteroid Day parts and the mod used in 1.0.5 are compatible, I will use it.

Today we launched the Raptor 1 with the RaptorSat brick of a payload. RaptorSat only weighs 0.1 tons and is simply a probe core, a battery, and an antenna transmitting incoherent beeping.

3Y3VqsX.png
The first manufactured Raptor 1 standing on the launchpad a couple hours from launch. [SpaceY]

At T-10 minutes, the strongback holding the rocket up retracted. At T-1 minutes, the rocket ran fully on internal power. At T-4 seconds, the "Kiwi" engine started up, generating 86,000 pounds of thrust. At T±0, the launch clamps stopped holding the craft to the ground and the Raptor 1 rocket rocketed up into the sky.

ZPtt55P.png
The rocket clearing the 4 towers after liftoff. [SpaceY]

By this time, we tested the rocket's onboard cameras, which were confirmed to work pre-flight, but we had to see if the systems worked during flight and if there wouldn't be that much static due to the rocket's violent shaking. They worked as expected.

aNwEIrC.png
A view from a camera placed on the first stage of the rocket. [SpaceY]

There was a bit of bad quality from the camera as expected. Eventually the rocket started its gravioli turn into space. The view was swtiched to some advanced chase cameras at the press area.

3qC0CVp.png
The rocket beginning to climb to space, as captured by a chase camera. [SpaceY]

Eventually the air began to deplete and the engine flame started making a weird effect. It looks really cool too, but we don't know what it is. If any scientist can approach us with the answer, we greatly appreciate it.

UPLVVU4.png
The weird engine flame thing. [SpaceY]

Eventually the first stage was completely depleted of its fuel and it seperated. Then the second stage ignited. Using an LV-909 "Terrier" engine bought from excess Jeb's Co. stock, the second stage propelled the RaptorSat to space. Sadly, the rocket got out of range and was not visible to the chase cameras anymore. Gladly, we had a few cameras on the second stage and we got a view of the "Terrier" engine ignited behind a backdrop of Kerbin.

Rt673dm.png
A view of the second stage firing its engine from an onboard camera. [SpaceY]

Eventually the engine shut off from orbital insertion and the fairing was seperated. But after some time, finally after rigorous testing and preparing, the satellite was deployed.

L1mJS5j.png
The RaptorSat after deployment, captured by an onboard camera on the second stage. [SpaceY]

Now, we attempted a second burn. It was only a tiny bit failure, because we had over-shot the normal-facing burn to change the orbital inclination of the second stage, and we very slightly over shot the correction burn after, but we decided that it would take too long to correct, so we left it as is. Sadly, since the second stage could not transmit precise telemetry data, we do not have the exact inclination of the second stage. The mission was declared a success.

We have listened to your submissions. Sadly we do not have enough firepower on the Raptor 1 to put some of these payloads into orbit. Hopefully when we have developed a much better launch vehicle, we might launch them as primary or secondary payloads. Thank you for the submissions, and that is it for the progress report.

10 hours ago, DMSP said:

Alright, here are some payloads! They are built in 1.1 but should work in 1.0.5.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=CubeComms+with+Interplanetary+Cube.craft and https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Eve+Impactor+with+Cubesats.craft

Tell me if the links don't work. Happy flying!

I have to log in to dropbox and I don't have one, so maybe you can mirror it somewhere.

1 hour ago, Kerbiter said:

I have to log in to dropbox and I don't have one, so maybe you can mirror it somewhere.

Sure, I can get them on KerbalX. I will also create a light payload for the Raptor 1.

With some contracting from the Kerbal Space Program (run by @ZooNamedGames), we have slated a launch with a prototype for a new spacecraft for Komodo.

clQsTTW.png

The spacecraft is meant for Munar exploration, but this mission will only get the craft to 500km orbit, and then getting back to the SOV.

We also have a crew, Staselle and Meremy Kerman, both rookies.

IcOjuYW.png

Before we fly on SSM-M14, we will perform a Komodo Qualification Flight Test (KQFT) with an unmanned version of the craft, and with slightly less fuel. For this we will debut a new launch vehicle capable of lifting heavier payloads, like the Komodo spacecraft. The spacecraft will come back to Earth and be recovered to be refitted for either another KQFT flight, or a Munar resupply mission for a future space station.

Thank you,

The Raven (SCANsat) given to us broke the space time continuum. We did not like that. So we had to rebuild our rockets, and then we did a new paint job. Say hello to the Raptor 1 v1.1!

fewTQII.png
An artist's rendition of the Raptor 1 v1.1 sitting on its strongback. [SpaceY]

Since our last payload submission broke the space time continuum, the Kerbals at Kermigan State University and Missikute Institute of Technology in a joint effort built us the first ever QBEsat. And they gave it to us, seeing how the Raptor 1 v1.0 could lift a payload into LKO with relative ease. This is also the first operational flight, marked Raptor 1 Flight 2.

CT49Wxg.png
The first maufactured Raptor 1 v1.1 captured by a launch camera; the strongback is in the process of retracting. [SpaceY]

Nearly the same launch process was observed. Liftoff was captured to be nominal.

ZPcqLNe.png

The Raptor 1 v1.1 lifting off on the first flight. [SpaceY]

The rocket was observed by about 20+ Kerbals near the launch site, and about 15,000 Kerbals on a live stream on KTube.

ONpcQlW.png
The rocket observed by a chase camera just after launch. [SpaceY]

The rocket nearly immediately headed on its trajectory to a low Kerbin orbit.

Kkwlsva.png
The rocket's launch captured by an onboard camera. [SpaceY]

Chase cameras and onboard cameras captured the rocket's ascent on its ride to orbit.

7PGTEx9.png
A chase camera capturing the rocket during ascent, showing the "Kiwi" engine's gimbal. [SpaceY]

Now the rocket was on its course, and Mission Control in Glaryview, Kalifornia was waiting for first stage separation.

qLIuRa5.png
The Raptor 1 v1.1 captured by a high-quality advanced chase camera. [SpaceY]

Then the stage burn out, with its last gasps of fuel. The flight computer sent the staging command, and the first stage separated.

5wpJB4g.png
The first stage separating from the second stage of the Raptor 1 v1.1 rocket, seen via onboard camera. [SpaceY]

The second stage ignited on the QBEsat's way to orbit. After about a minute, the fairing separated. We did not capture the separation, but were able to taake an image for later surverying. We have that image right now.

ExbA8A9.png
The fairing fragments shown after having an image digitally altered. [SpaceY]

Now we were waiting for orbit. And then we got orbital insertion and some nice shots.

c4h6Khq.png
The second stage firing, captured by an onboard camera. [SpaceY]

After about 30 seconds or so, they deployed the satellite. This was met with huge fanfare as the Raptor 1 kept its 100% track record (for now).

CUOAB9c.png
The QBEsat just after being deployed into orbit by a Raptor 1 v1.1 rocket. [SpaceY]

Now that's a success. We'll hope the Saturn Shuttle on SSM-M1 (now designated KQTF-001 here at SpaceY) will perform well. We wish luck to you all, and keep submitting.

Thank you for the support, and that is it for the progress report.

7 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

The Raven (SCANsat) given to us broke the space time continuum. We did not like that. So we had to rebuild our rockets, and then we did a new paint job.

Oops. Sorry. I guess I should have warned you about that...

1 hour ago, NotAgain said:

You said you were using a new upper stage engine. Which one, may I ask?

Dear curious individual,

We went back into the excess Jeb's Co. stock and found an LV-900 "Beagle" engine. This engine was made as a higher tier version of the LV-909 "Terrier" engine.

- Elon Kerman, SpaceY CEO and co-founder of KPal

• 2 weeks later...

The Komodo was succesfully launched on SSM-M14. Komodo deployment was nominal and it went to its 500km orbit. BUT the orbiter Nomad lost good contact with Komodo, got hit by meteors, and the craft is stuck in orbit. Luckily we can have handover of operations and perform a landing in the ocean as an abort maneuver. This will be an important test of the Komodo parachutes.

Our pad got eaten by the Kraken. But luckily there was the SLC-2 launch pad at the Kerbal Space Center, which was leased to the pesky C7 Aerospace Rocket Division. The lease expired, gladly the last launch by the C7 fiends was a failure. Their unreliable patch-together solid rocket boosters cutoff and separated prematurely, and collided with the rest of the poorly built rocket.

4EgZpIT.pngThe C7 fiends with their rocket blowing up. [C7 Aerospace Rocket Division]

A few days later, we set for a 50-year lease of SLC-2. We will now build new mating structures for the Raptor 1 rocket. KSC Leader of Facility Operations, Laci Kerman, and I came to the pad to sign the deal. A bunch of people showed up, mostly KSC officials and SpaceY employees. I brought her in my fancy car, the Nikola Mk1, with nice curves.

vwDMX27.png
Laci and Elon Kerman ready to get the SLC-2 in SpaceY's hands. [SpaceY]

We will now continue all launch operations at these facilities. We would like for more payload submissions so we can launch them. Since this site is on the equator, we can more easily do geostationary launch missions with future launch vehicles. We hope all is doing well for our payload suppliers and our fellow space companies. That is it for the progress report.

Edited by Kerbiter

Elon, you might want to hear this...

This is what we have gotten from the @ZooNamedGames press release:

"While performing the test of the Komodo during SSM-M14, the orbiter Nomad was struck by space debris. Komodo has not responded to our signals, and Nomad's crew only have 18 hours of life support. A rescue mission is preparing for launch, but we believe Komodo has been destroyed."

So... Yeah. Big uh-oh.

To make sure that you get this:

@Kerbiter @Kerbiter @Kerbiter

It is an emergency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.