SpaceY Inc. - Raptor 9 v2.0 testing underway! (Submit a payload)

Kerbiter

On 7/25/2016 at 2:06 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

When will the next flight be happening? Just wondering :) 

Soon.

io5hAUP.png

Hello. We have not done this in a long time.

The reason is we have been busy refining the Raptor 9 v2.0 lifter. In fact, we have done lots of tests, including an R9R-Dev flight.

R9R-Dev on pad before Flight 2
R9R-Dev before liftoff. [SpaceY]

Unlike the previous flight, this time R9R-Dev has a handy tool that allows us to make more precise landings; grid fins. Remember Raptor 9 Flight 2 and the controlled descent? Those were early development grid fins, and now we are debuting our flagship state of the art grid fins. Due to their shape they can work in hypersonic conditions and can easily be stowed. As such we are using them to reach our goal of rapid reusability.

R9R-Dev lifts off in Flight 2
R9R-Dev lifts off on its second flight. [SpaceY]

The grid fins did not harm any aerodynamic conditions while stowed. R9R-Dev soared to a height of 250m before deploying its grid fins for the very first time.

R9R-Dev hovers, deploys grid fins in Flight 2
R9R-Dev deploys its fins. [SpaceY]

Then we went through a normal flight profile. R9R-Dev went for the landing.

R9R-Dev on descent in Flight 2
R9R-Dev descending with grid fins. [SpaceY]

The grid fins absolutely helped, giving the vehicle more control.

R9R-Dev approaching landing in Flight 2
R9R-Dev landing with grid fins. [SpaceY]

The vehicle absolutely nailed the landing.

R9R-Dev after landing in Flight 2
R9R-Dev just after landing with grid fins. [SpaceY]

The grid fins were stowed before transportation into the Vertical Integration Facility for refitting into R9R-Dev+. R9R-Dev+ will have deploying landing legs on descent, three-engine ascent, no hover, and a complete 'hover-slam' landing burn. More on that soon. Here we have footage from a second stage test.

Raptor 9 Second Stage Test
The Raptor 9 second stage performing a full-duration static fire. [SpaceY]

The Kiwi-D Vacuum engine went flawlessly through all the fuel. After cutoff, the satellite RCS thrusters were fired to bleed off the monopropellant.

Raptor 9 Second Stage Test
The Raptor 9 v2.0 second stage firing its RCS thrusters after a static fire test. [SpaceY]

We also did a test with our first stage.

Raptor 9 First Stage Test
The Raptor 9 v2.0 first stage before the test. [SpaceY]

The 9 Kiwi-D engines fired for the first time in unison.

The Raptor 9 v2.0 first stage during a full-duration test. [SpaceY]

All fuel was went through and the stage fired through all the fuel.

A close up view of the 9 Kiwi-D engines firing. [SpaceY]

The engines cut off at a planned time. We also had the RCS thrusters fire to let go of the monopropellant.

The Raptor 9 v2.0 first stage after a test. [SpaceY]

We also did a fairing separation test, although we haven't got back images yet. All images presented here can be found in our SpaceY Media Collection. Keep submitting your payloads, and that is it for the progress report.

- Elon Kerman, CEO of SpaceY and Nikola

Edited by Kerbiter

Looks like Raptor 9 Flight 3 (v2.0 flight 1) (KASS) is coming soon. I have not even designed the payload. That will come soon.

Meanwhile, I will want to complete test flights of the Raptor 9 to work out issues with the interstage, and see how to get a clean separation.

KASS will be based off CASSIOPE, and @adsii1970 should probably start working on the mission patch, and yes, the fairing will have a texture of something related to the payload on one side, but I need a flag on another sign. @ZooNamedGames should have a flag of the nation controlling KSC which I will apply.

That's all. Cadaceus or whatever I'm keeping that in my mind as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 4:55 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

Hey @Kerbiter, is one of your static fire tests going to explode? :wink: 

No.

io5hAUP.png

SpaceY NEXT Keynote Presentation by CEO Elon Kerman (Transcript)

*applause*

Elon: Hello, I am Elon Kerman. I am the CEO of SpaceY Incorporation which involves creating and flying rockets.

Elon: The company has two divisions, the Orbital Division, which is the main division of the company, and the Suborbital Division, which I am having Jeff manage, he's doing great with the New Kerman vehicle and design is almost done.

Elon: I am managing the Orbital Division and as the manager of the Division, as well as the CEO, I make most of the progress reports on our gridsite, host most of the press conferences, and manage most of the keynotes, which this one is our first. We have had complete success with Raptor 1, Raptor 9 v1.0, Raptor 9 v1.1, and we are developing as you might know Raptor 9 v2.0.

Elon: However, we have one goal at this company. And that goal is Duna.

Elon: We want to start colonization of Duna and we know it's a slippery slope. And we are developing a Raptor 9 derived launcher to be able to carry significant payloads to Duna. And that is Raptor Heavy.

*applause*

Elon: We are unveiling Raptor Heavy later today at this keynote.

Elon: And... *applause* And the vehicle will not surpass the Mun rocket in terms of power and lifting capacity, but it will be one of the most powerful rockets ever built. And it will be reusable!

*applause*

Elon: I would like to have a countdown to announce Raptor Heavy.

*countdown from 10, smoke machines, etc.*

Elon: And here it is!

unEbeae.png

*applause*

Elon: Just by looking at it, you can see how it is simply powerful. This ejects so much thrust it beats over 10 of your average jumbo jet.

*applause*

Elon: We are planning to create landing pads at the KSC and we have reviewed the data from the R9R-Dev tests indicating positive results. Raptor Heavy will take a large team and hard work, but we hope we can do it. Thank you.

*applause*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Orbital Technologies

Hello,I am Vikranth,CEO of orbital technologies.I am today beginning my partnership with SpaceY Inc.

Introducing......

Hydra-Alpha

Payload

bIc0xkt.png

Payload fully deployed

iR6fchb.png

Mission specifications

Payload name:Hydra-Alpha

Designation:ORB-00234

Orbit:Apoapsis-235,000m

Periapsis-234,000m

Inclination-86O to 90O relative to the equator.

Payload Mass-2.175t

Desired Launch Vehicle:Raptor 9 v1.1 or v2.0

-I will post the craft file as soon as you are ready-

Really awaiting towards the launch date.

Thank you.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Vikranth
CEO,Orbital technologies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.