• Tweakscale mods
    • Adjustable landing gear
  2. 2. Mods for use

• Mechjeb
    • Tac fuel balancer
    • pilot assistant
    • docking port alignment mod (Navyfish)

Vote for mods you would like to see integrated for build, testing and use

Mods like RCS build aid and Kerbal engineer seems to be essential for building balanced ship that fit your goals.

A mod like TAC fuel balancer seems also essential for use of complex ship

Mods like Mechjeb and Pilot assistant are great help for piloting.

Edited by gilflo

Of those listed, the only one I think should go into the game as-is is RCS Build Aid. I couldn't vote, though, because none of the mods in list 2 should be made stock, in my opinion.

If you're curious:

• MechJeb is far too sweeping in its design and operation. It turns KSP into another game. If you like that other game, great, but it shouldn't be THE game.
  • TAC Fuel Balancer is clunky to operate. There are better options. Those options should probably not be stock either, though if one has to, I'd say GPOSpeedFuelPumps.
  • Pilot Assistant I've never used, so don't feel the right to an opinion. It looks a bit like "MechJeb lite for planes" so my above opinion stands here. It sounds pretty cool and I plan on trying it, but it does a bit too much for stock. I'd prefer a button like the current "Hold prograde/radial/etc" buttons, that locks your plane into holding the current ground-relative angle.
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator is too invasive for stock. It throws up a window which I don't think the stock game should do. If you're curious, I also don't think the stock game should put up a window while scanning ore.

And while we're at it, the NON-RCS-Build-Aid mods from list 1:

• Infernal Robotics is too buggy. The moment that bug is fixed, it should be stock.
  • Hyperedit could MAYBE be implemented via the cheat menu. But even then it should be toned way down.
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux has too many options and windows. Stock should have a toggleable dV and TWR display in flight and while building, and Ap/Pe (and time to each) should be viewable in the flight screen. And radar distance to the ground. "What biome you'll crash in" I'm content to leave in the realm of mods.
  • Tweakscale I'm actually for, but there needs to be no doubt what a tank holds at a glance. Right now, any tank can have any texture, unless it's changed in the past 6 months or so.
  • Adjustable Landing Gear sounds fine, I've just never used it so have no opinion. My gut instinct though is to say ENOUGH WITH THE PLANES ALREADY even though I know that's not 100% fair.

KER hands down no question.  Building a rocket by having to take time out to do math, or blindly, takes away from the game IMO.   I love being able to see AP, PE, altitude from terrain, heat and the percentage, etc and not being able to see it would take away from the game.  Astronauts have gauges that tell them all sorts of stuff so why can't we?

RCS Aid doesn't figure everything out for you, it just crunches numbers. It simply saves the time of running the a TWR equation every time I add things. It also teaches proper innate placement of engines, RCS thrusters, and just generally makes you appreciate CoM, DCoM, and CoL. KSPedia seems to be trying to take the edge off these sorts of things so RCS Aid would be an excellent addition.

Mods for use. None. None of them are really required and I don't see their requirement in the game. They all make the game too easy or require additional learning. Poor poll design since you should always have a "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option.

For me Pilot Assistant, MechJeb and Docking port alignment indicator are like Autopilot in the Space Shuttle or a modern Jet.

Could you imagine spationaut or pilot on the stick for hours on prograde, making all calculations on a sheet, docking without any electronic help.....?

Performing a manually landing or launch or take off is awesome and i like to be on the stick, but what's the interest to do all prograde run manually, specially on big ship when the game lags ?

What interest to burn retrograde manually before re entering?

Better be on my SSTO stick to perform Cobra during re-entry.....

And beyond that, even if Mechjeb or pilot assistant or what else is implemented, it must be optional to use it...

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

THE game

Dangit!

There are plenty of mods that I'd like to see in stock, but none that I feel are really necessary. Oh, except Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. I have a lot of trouble building surface outposts with the stock parts, because there isn't a default height for the docking ports. That makes it hard to expand bases after landing them, and the current habitation parts seem to be designed for zero-G. It just doesn't seem right to put them on a planet. KPBS offers a wide variety of parts that are specifically designed for long-term modular surface operations. Right now stock KSP offers a good variety of parts for building space stations in orbit, but doesn't really have any parts that are designed for surface bases. I have a lot of trouble designing a base that will work and be expandable easily. Since the game does give contracts for surface outposts, it seems necessary that they should give us some better parts to build those outposts and expand them later.

40 minutes ago, gilflo said:

For me Pilot Assistant, MechJeb and Docking port alignment indicator are like Autopilot in the Space Shuttle or a modern Jet.

Could you imagine spationaut or pilot on the stick for hours on prograde, making all calculations on a sheet, docking without any electronic help.....?

Performing a manually landing or launch or take off is awesome and i like to be on the stick, but what's the interest to do all prograde run manually, specially on big ship when the game lags ?

What interest to burn retrograde manually before re entering?

Better be on my SSTO stick to perform Cobra during re-entry.....

And beyond that, even if Mechjeb or pilot assistant or what else is implemented, it must be optional to use it...

Could you imagine an engineer designing a rocket without a super computer doing numerical soluitionssolutions, drafting software, detailed mission plan? Yet it is done every day in the kerbal universe.

10 minutes ago, Nich said:

Could you imagine an engineer designing a rocket without a super computer doing numerical soluitionssolutions, drafting software, detailed mission plan? Yet it is done every day in the kerbal universe.

Yes, I can. It's how it was done in the 50's and 60's, and how we learned to design aircraft and spacecraft in college in the 80's. The only thing that's been constant through all of the history of spaceflight has been the detailed mission plans, and that's because it's so damned expensive to fly rockets that you need to make sure you don't waste the flights you take. But in KSP, (simulated) spaceflight is cheap - cycles on the computer you already own. No true NEED for anything but trial and error. 

That said, I still believe the game "needs" informational mods like KER or MJ (even without the autopilot functions) for people to connect the intuition they develop by playing with the underlying physics.

16 minutes ago, Nich said:

To be honest I don't know how things were done in the 50-60s but I suspect they didn't just throw things together hoping they would work. 

They also didn't have revert and quicksave.

And they got paid for it, so were willing to do more drudgery work.

15 minutes ago, Nich said:

To be honest I don't know how things were done in the 50-60s but I suspect they didn't just throw things together hoping they would work. 

To be honest, I *DO* know how they were done. They didn't throw them together but they didn't have significant computing power to help until the mid-60's, and even then, your phone has more computing power than probably existed in the world to that time, combined. They did it the very old fashioned way: with pencil, paper, mathematics and slide rules, references books and reams of tabulated experimental data. 

But again, since KSP spaceflight is "cheap" in the sense that it's all just a simulation, Squad has chosen - so far - to let people learn by trial and error, but also made the game so mod-friendly that you can play however you like.

I voted for KER not because I use it(I use MechJebs info screens) but because at least a D/V readout in the VAB is something a non-space geek needs to get a handle on designing spaceships. Most people I know who might like the game don't want to do algebra homework for every stage to play it. I think you could have it toggled in the cheat menu with the other make it easier to play stuff. 

I voted for the Docking Alignment mod because I am an older guy and even the 1.1 nav ball is hard to read. And as far as other automation goes my "twitch reflexes" are not what they used to be, so manual flying can really suck. I do think any options for automaton can also be put in the cheat menu to keep it out of the game for those who don't want it.

Automation is what we use every day. It's part of life. You can enjoy doing every manually, doing math again and again, try again and again to see if the rocket you have designed is able to fly, but why don't allow tools for those who don't want to do math, for those who want to design with modern tools, for those prefer to fly with automation. It's not cheating, it's just more optional possibilities to design and fly as you like and make the game attractive to more people. It's like playing, carrier, science or sandbox.....

If your pleasure is to fly manually, then do it, if your pleasure is more  to design than fly, then fly with automation .....or not...where is the problem?

If there were so many players flying manually and designing by doing math, there won't be so many download for all those mods!

Just because a mod is very popular, good, and adds a ton to the game does not mean it should be added to stock.  I mean looks at dang it, RSS and real engines. All are great mods but should never be considered for stock. The more I play the less I feel life support, antenna range, DV read outs, or far like mods should be stock.  I think at some point squad needs to have officially supported mods that add to the base game.

8 hours ago, Nich said:

To be fair, we did have computers back then. Even if you couldn't afford a mainframe. They were rooms full of people.

http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/calculators/1/65/272

:)

I don't know about whole mods I'd like to see stock. I would like to see some general use actuated parts like robotic joints and pulleys.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.