Slingshot... or odd bug?

Dire_Squid

Unfortunately, I didn't save screenshots since I panicked, buuuut... after I successfully rendezvoused with a low-orbit pod orbiting Kebin, I punched in a maneuver to re-enter, f course. When I was trying to reenter into Kerbin's atmosphere, I kinda altered the orbit a TINY bit, radially. It made the entry point notably shallower (around 57,000-59,000 +km, instead of the initial 30-thousand). THAT wasn't the bug. What WAS, however, was that my orbit began to radically increase instead of decrease the moment I got into the upper atmosphere (and I was using my Monoporp to attempt to slow my entry speed, while being locked onto the retrograde), and my speed ramped up from 2,500+ m/s to.... get this... 5,000+ m/s, while I entered the atmosphere; I was surprised my lander didn't explode.

Anyways, the orbit grew and grew until it ended up leaving the SOI and showing that I was headed in the vicinity of Moho. If this wasn't Career Mode, I would've kept it. But I can't help but wonder whether I somehow accidentally made some sort of bizarre slingshot maneuver while I was attempting to re-enter Kerbin... if did I encounter some strange bug?

Discuss. XD

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

In theory, in a highly eccentric orbit, the spewing of monoprop could have imparted more force on your craft than the wispy air at 50+km altitude. There ain't much air up there.

Still, I felt that it got WAY more power and force than logically figured. ESPECIALLY since I had very little fuel left, and the orbit wasn't all that eccentric. Actually, it was all-in-all a low orbit.

12 minutes ago, Hodari said:

Definitely sounds like a bug.  Depending on your ship design, it might be possible to get some lift from hitting the atmosphere and bounce off, but don't think it would be anywhere near THAT much.

I have to agree that it had to have been a bug. I mean, it went from 2500 m/s to 5000+ m/s. That's... VERY insane. lol

Edited by Dire_Squid
Extended my thoughts.

This has been seen at least twice before. The first time seemed to involve retracting landing legs. You didn't mention doing that? Besides entering the atmosphere, did you do anything at all just before the bug triggered, besides make a tiny radial burn?

I had same/similar issue: 

Got pictures, craft files and I can even supply save later today if anyone is interested.

Some old mod parts (Kerbonov cockpit in my case) have issue with drag/lift (and temperature transfer) in 1.1.

Aeroaccelerating changes orbital shape, rapidly dropping PE while AP remains more or less stable, gravity causes acceleration, drag is weirdly low. And then you encounter Moho.

Note: common parameter is aerobraking with initial PE higher than 50km.

Edited by PT

I had this happen in the pre-release on a return from Mun.

There was no fuel left and was going through a series of highly elliptical aerobrake manuvers.
About 20km into the atmosphere and my apoapsis rose to escape velocity in seconds.

I didn't' have the wherewithal to take a screen cap as I was busily F9ing.

41 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

I had this happen in the pre-release on a return from Mun.

There was no fuel left and was going through a series of highly elliptical aerobrake manuvers.
About 20km into the atmosphere and my apoapsis rose to escape velocity in seconds.

I didn't' have the wherewithal to take a screen cap as I was busily F9ing.

So you also had this weirdness at ~50km. Can you share/describe craft/mods?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.