I created a tutorial! :3

WolfyDoo

So guys, I'm not trying to promote myself AT ALL, as I don't earn money with it and as I have 0 subscribers. Just wanted to help other people out. Other parts are going to come later, but I'm telling in that in the video as well:

If this is being deleted for promotion, then sorry! Just wanna help! :)

Then I'll just make it a 1.1 tutorial. My first part is the same for 1.0.5 and 1.1 anyways. The rest probably almost the same! :)

Do you guys know it making a planet for 1.1 is exactly the same as for 1.0.5, already?

1 hour ago, ApertureGaming said:

So guys, I'm not trying to promote myself AT ALL, as I don't earn money with it and as I have 0 subscribers. Just wanted to help other people out. Other parts are going to come later, but I'm telling in that in the video as well:

If this is being deleted for promotion, then sorry! Just wanna help! :)

ok please stop. I understand you enthusiasm and thanks for trying, however putting aside the issues with the video for a moment creating a tutorial for kopernicus should only be done by people who have extensive knowledge of it's systems. It may seem like a good idea, but one slight error in your video could cause problems for a LOT of people, especially me and @Thomas P. who have to deal with the bug reports.

Onto the main issue though, Space Engine is the WORST place to get textures from for KSP worlds. They are simple, generic bodies that all look alike, except SE has a butt-load of shaders to get their bodies looking nice which KSP doesnt have. Truely unique and interesting world in KSP are usually made by hand. Guiding people to use SE as a crutch only serves to undermine the creative process, and will result in a million generic packs that all look alike (it happened to PF previously).

If having a video guide to show people how its done is such a big thing, then I'll make one myself after i finish updating RSS & KASE, however there is already and extensive collection of tutorials made by @The White Guardian available on the forums. (pinging him so he can drop links).

A guide stating that you should get textures from Space Engine?

In all seriousness though, advicing Space Engine is probably the last thing you should do, because most people will just start pulling textures out of S.E. like nobody's business. I personally use SpaceEngine for some textures, but the difference is that I take textures from SE planets that I coded myself and designed specifically for usage in KSP. Next, I only generate the height map and not the others, and even then I still edit the heightmap in GIMP.

As for my tutorials mentioned by @KillAshley, you can find them here:

I don't want to use your tutorials, because that is not need. Using SE for textures is not bad at all. I have seen thousand and thousand of different planet in SE. So it seems you don't have enough knowledge about SE and I DO have enough knowledge about Kopernicus. I don't know where you're it from saying I don't have enough knowledge. I've been using SE for years now and I barely found any of the same planet. Yeah, I know in other galaxies there are quite a lot of same textures, but if you keep it in the Milky Way Galaxy, almost every single planet has a different texture as what I've seen. As there are trillions and trillions of planet in the milky way... So if you don't like the tutorial then don't even bother look at this post. But don't go saying that I don't have enough knowledge, because I have been programming planets for years.

7 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

I don't want to use your tutorials, because that is not need. Using SE for textures is not bad at all. I have seen thousand and thousand of different planet in SE. So it seems you don't have enough knowledge about SE and I DO have enough knowledge about Kopernicus. I don't know where you're it from saying I don't have enough knowledge. I've been using SE for years now and I barely found any of the same planet. Yeah, I know in other galaxies there are quite a lot of same textures, but if you keep it in the Milky Way Galaxy, almost every single planet has a different texture as what I've seen. As there are trillions and trillions of planet in the milky way... So if you don't like the tutorial then don't even bother look at this post. But don't go saying that I don't have enough knowledge, because I have been programming planets for years.

yeah @The White Guardian stop being a party pooper

SE is perfectly fine for making planets

:D(I'm kidding of course)

11 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

Space Engine textures are not bad because they are not varied enough (though this is part of the problem), they're bad because they look nothing like stockalike planets, and are basically the "easy way" out for planet making. Also, there's only around 100 billion planets in the milky way, not trillions and trillions. As to your guide, it's not something that would have helped me make good planets as a beginner.

The thing about Space Engine textures is that although few Space Engine planets are identical, they do get very similar after a while. Once you've seen one yellow-and-white selena, you've seen them all. There aren't really any landmarks or interesting features that set one planet apart from an other. If I were to give you a piece of paper and told you to draw, say RS 123445 A 1.2 (a yellow moon) and RS 1666634 B 5.3 (another yellow moon), after being given five minutes each to look at them, you would be likely to draw pretty much the same planet both times.

Edited by GregroxMun

4 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

:huh:

I didnt intend for my post to be an attack, so I apologize for provoking such a harsh response. However SE planets are very much the same, default SE only has a set number of variable that get applied to planets after the seed places terrain features that determine colors. If you want to use SE then feel free to do so. My comments about you not being familiar are due to the fact that your account is very new, and your thread asking for help on your star shows you still have learning to do. It was not meant to be an insult. at least I tried, very well.

For everyone else, if you are willing to wait until after i finish updating RSS & KASE, then I will personally create a video guide to show everything you will need to know.

I'm curious though, you say you have been programming planets for years? what have you released? I only ask because you can't "program" a planet with kopernicus, you simply write a plain-text config file that module manager loads into kopernicus, so im a little confused on that. Especially seeing as I actually have been makign planets for years, and was they first person to even use kopernicus apart from it's creators.

There you go, that's a polite reaction you should give.. You're right with the 100 billion haha. And no problem if it didn't help you. I'm sorry about that. But there are loads of people who will be helped by it. Got my first good reaction already! :) In youtube comments

3 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Space Engine textures are not bad because they are not varied enough

then I guess all the guys that released a planet pack from SE up untill now just happen to like the same planets by chance? :)

Just now, ApertureGaming said:

There you go, that's a polite reaction you should give.. You're right with the 100 billion haha. And no problem if it didn't help you. I'm sorry about that. But there are loads of people who will be helped by it. Got my first good reaction already! :) In youtube comments

I'm sorry if I gave you the indication that I thought it would be helpful at all. I genuinely do not think your tutorial will help anyone.

Just now, Sigma88 said:

then I guess all the guys that released a planet pack from SE up untill now just happen to like the same planets by chance? :)

I edited my post for clarification. 

It's okay @KillAshley. With programming I mean writing a code then. I haven't released anything. I'm always making the planets for myself. When I want to start a savegame with just a little more than only the stock planets. But it's okay. Thanks for the apology!

Well @GregroxMun. That's fine if you think so. But do your research first. I already now had 1 positive post on my youtube video. So it's at least helping someone...

1 minute ago, ApertureGaming said:

Well @GregroxMun. That's fine if you think so. But do your research first. I already now had 1 positive post on my youtube video. So it's at least helping someone...

They might think they're being helped in much the same way that those who use homeopathy instead of medicine think they're being helped.

I don't know a lot about Kopernicus or SE. You have been "programming Planets for years," but do be aware of the Dunning-Kruger effect. I do know about tutorials, so I can comment on that. Let me start by congratulating you on taking the effort of making a tutorial. It's a great way of giving back to the community! I do think that there are a few points that can really boost your numbers of return viewers:

• Don't start with the opening screen of a game and talk for minutes. "Talking Heads" refers to the completely boring visual content of talkshows and that is actually more exciting. Why not showcase some of the planets you made (showcasing in KSP) while introducing the process?
  • My eyes will chase the mouse like a cat. It's very nervous to jiggle the mouse around for no reason. Only move the mouse when there's a reason for it.
  • Zoom in on a dialog when you're explaining it. It's hard to make out what you're doing in those tiny dialogs
  • When going over a dialog, move the mouse slowly. In fact, set your mouse speed to the slowest your system allows; it prevents mouse racing and filling out dialogs faster than your audience can follow.
  • In line with that, don't blitz dialogs.
  • When going over options people can type, list them on screen. Don't type them in a miniature textbox, especially when you're overwriting them half a second later with a new value

making tutorials is praiseworthy but it's hard. Practice makes perfect! Be critical on what you produce, and ask yourself the question: would I show this to my boss/teacher/coworkers/classmates?

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. Two things I wanna say. It's pretty clear to see if you just put it on fullscreen right? Well, I can see it pretty good in full screen, 720,1080p. Secondly, I'm not good with editing videos AT ALL. I have no idea on how to do things like zooming in on a certain part of the screen.. :/. But, thanks again!

Look. I'm not saying I'm the best planet writer ever. Not at all. It's also probably true I shouldn't use SE, but at least I made the video right. I just wanted to help people because I find it easiest to follow a tutorial when it's a video. As there are literally NO tutorial VIDEOS on how to make these planet, I thought it would be smart to make a tutorial as first human-being ever (hahah). So apology if it didn't help you, but at least I tried.. Thanks for all the advice again, everybody!

52 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

I don't have enough knowledge of S.E.?

AHAHAHA! Dude, look up my DeviantArt profile! I don't just have S.E., I MAKE S.E. PLANETS BY HAND, so if there's anyone with S.E. knowledge it would be me. The problem is that if everyone would start taking S.E. textures the result will be one big planet bazaar full of SpaceEngine planets, and that completely kills the magic of PQS-generated planets. And yes, although every S.E. planets is different, in the end they're all cut from the same cloth, so unless you create a planet yourself the textures will resemble those from other S.E. planets. And I never said that you don't have enough knowledge, I'm merely trying to warn you of the catastrophical results of massive S.E. texture exporting.

On the other hand, there are ways to make absolutely beautiful planets with S.E. and these are:

- Edit the textures taken from S.E. with stuff like Photoshop or GIMP

- Edit the planet in S.E. so it looks more stockalike

- Gas giant and ring textures

- Heightmaps

You completely misunderstood my comment, I was not trying to offend you in any way, and the only reason why I added links to my own tutorials is because @KillAshley asked me to do so. Please know that I am in no way questioning your knowledge of planet making, I am merely questioning if you understand what a nightmare it would be if everyone would start using SpaceEngine for planet textures. Because let's be honest here, if we'd want to see thousands of S.E. planets in KSP, then why wouldn't we be playing Space Engine rather than KSP? There's an upper limit to how many S.E. textures should be used to make stuff look good, and in the end, nothing beats Kittopia and PQS-based textures because they are way more stockalike than anything S.E. can make simply because they were made with KSP's engine.

To prove my point that S.E. based packs can look good though as long as you know what you're doing, I will be making a planet pack based entirely on Space Engine textures, but not 'just' textures, textures from planets I made myself and thus are designed to fit in with KSP's unique style.

2 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

It's fine, sorry.

I'm trying to make textures with PQSMods then, but I don't really get how. You can make landclasses, but that will never make a detailed texture right? I don't get it. :3

Oh, you can create magical worlds with only VertexPlanet and LandControl. The problem is that both mods are quite complex, even I don't fully understand them. VertexPlanet can add colors and noisecolors to specific altitudes as well as create a procedural terrain, whilst LandControl focuses on creating biome-like colors. Take Kerbin for example, Kerbin has been colored with LandControl, from it's ice caps to it's deserts. LandControl also adds terrain scatters. LandControl is also what I meant earlier: SpaceEngine heightmap + LandControl coloring = roughly stockalike planet.

When it comes to those two mods trial and error are the things you need. Kittopia is also a handy mod that allows you to edit your Kopernicus planets in-game.

BTW I've checked out your YouTube channel... you're Dutch too? Also, I tried making my own video guide, but I'm just not good at explaining it all. I'll give it another try later.

Yeah, I'm dutch. Hahah you too?

Thanks btw, do you know if there are planet packs out there for version 1.1 already? I wanna play with some other planet packs hahah

Facepalm, I guess I don't have a lot of knowledge on Kopernicus.. :3. Is LandControl the same as LandClasses, because in your tutorial I don't see anything that says LandControl?

5 hours ago, ApertureGaming said:

Yeah, I'm dutch. Hahah you too?

Thanks btw, do you know if there are planet packs out there for version 1.1 already? I wanna play with some other planet packs hahah

Facepalm, I guess I don't have a lot of knowledge on Kopernicus.. :3. Is LandControl the same as LandClasses, because in your tutorial I don't see anything that says LandControl?

LandControl is a mod, LandClasses are a part of a mod. It's a bit hard to explain. And Outer Planets Mod by @CaptRobau, Uncharted Lands by @KillAshley and Arkas: Development edition maintained by myself are all working with version 1.1

And yeah, I'm Dutch. Small planet I guess. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.