1.1 graphics: Turn back on all the stuff you turned off.

I’ve read a lot of people are not seeing improvement in graphics in 1.1. 

Maybe, like me, you have turned much of your graphics settings off. I was running with medium rez textures, minimum shadows, and no antialiasing.

Now I’m at full rez textures, AA set to 4x, and I’ve maxed out the shadow settings (which makes the shadow artifacts go away)

And boooy is this game prettier AND I STILL have a much faster framerate. :)

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

I'm on an Intel 4000 with an i7; performance is about the same with SM3 terrain shaders.  If I turn them off in the settings file (since SM2 shaders are now deprecated >_>) the game runs very well.

I'm running Scatterer and PlanetShine but even under that I noticed the ambient light seems to have been improved. Well, 'improved' is an odd thing for me to say, since now PS can't brighten the dark sides of planets for me; I have a slight phobia of them and hate getting a night-time re-entry. Oh well. Also worth mentioning is the new water; it seems both softer and safer to land on as well as nicer looking, and things bob up and down on the surface. If you land in the ocean with no land it sight it feels like the waves are taking you somewhere, even though the velocity readout is 0.0m/s.

1 hour ago, WildLynx said:

For me, KSP started to look worse, at least in the VAB. Parts in the list are grey-ish, and attachment nodes are of some dark-dead-green-glass color, instead of lively green they used to be.

[Linux Mageia 5 x64, GTX 550 Ti]

35 minutes ago, TK421d said:

ive noticed the odd VAB gfx too.  not only the parts list, but the actual craft i'm building all the parts look pastel-ish colored

I think the assembly building parts are set to 'fullbright' (no light source, parts are same brightness all over and don't shine etc.) intentionally for the utilitarian purpose of always being able to perfectly see exactly what you're building. I agree however that it's more odd looking than really helpful.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, String Witch said:

I'm running Scatterer and PlanetShine but even under that I noticed the ambient light seems to have been improved

I agree with this in general

However, IVA view reveals some very strange shadow issues, light seems to enter through the sides of the pod.

1 minute ago, Violent Jeb said:

I agree with this in general

However, IVA view reveals some very strange shadow issues, light seems to enter through the sides of the pod.

Disabling Scatterer's god rays might fix that.

Aside from itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny fonts on my 4K monitor (and sadness that the UI scale setting didn't help that), the game looks really good and runs like gangbusters, nice and smooth for once. Nice to have anti-aliasing back after having to run the game in OpenGL mode.

Edited by JonathanPerregaux

7 hours ago, Columbia said:

Started playing KSP 1.1 in my Mac.

I died inside for every setting i had to lower until it was finally at the same settings as 1.0.5. 

Word. Turning everything on will make the AMD Radeon 6490M (with its whopping 256MB of VRAM) in my 2011 MBP melt and my framerate drop to seconds per frame rather than vice versa. 

Edited by LameLefty

8 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

"will make"? 

have you tried it in 1.1? 

Of course. I've been fooling around with 1.1 since the first public betas. The game has outgrown my computer, which was already sub-optimal for KSP 3 years ago when I started playing back in 0.19.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.