Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_o69m0b52HG1rr2wit_540.jpg

Hello everyone,

With 1.1 out the door we’ve been working on bug fixes and making performance optimisations this week. If you follow Ted on Twitter you may have seen that we’re working on a patch for version 1.1, which we’re aiming to release before the week is over.

Mike (Mu) reduced the stuttering people were seeing in flight scene, reworked a number other pieces of code. Jim (Romfarer) mainly worked on optimization passes on part operations in the editors (VAB/SPH) and the staging stack. Bob (Roverdude) has started merging the antenna and telemetry code with the 1.1 code base.  Fortunately, the only big issues were some conflicts with vessels, and sorting the flight UI prefabs.

In 1.0.5 Nathan redid how a vessel’s center of mass was calculated. However, that had not been hooked up to the orbital calculations until now. Nathanael (NathanKell) has finally done so, improving the calculation of gravity so that orbits no longer flicker from vessel rotation. It does show that the PhysX integrator has some issues with velocity at orbital speed so the Apoapsis and Periapsis are not constant when off rails, but the behavior is far better than in 1.1 or 1.0.5. He also fixed some minor tutorial bugs encountered in the release build and made some further optimizations. Oh, and also he  fixed the “reveresed” typo! Bill (taniwha) helped NathanKell with these changes. He also improved KSP’s calculation of orbital inclination and on-rails instantaneous velocity.

Dave (TriggerAu) found some time to look at the user interface code: we’ve now implemented and tested some per element scaling and NavBall sliding in the Flight UI to help people get the look that works for them. It’s working for almost all the elements independently, but testing may mean we have to disable it for one or two items. We’d also like to thank Sarbian for the tips he gave on the Navball burn label. Here’s a screenshot of the new settings: http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BzVqb8YpCXy6QURlY2VicFhXbEE

Mathew (sal_vager) took a break from poking the bug tracker, and has been poking at the code instead. He figured out what broke HOTAS controllers, and with some help from Mike fixed them so they should work now.

A production house came and recorded some footage from the studio, and we can certainly say Wednesday was the busiest day we’ve had since the beginning of the year.

On the art side Daniel (danRosas) finished the assets just in time for the release. They are the usual

graphics for the store, web page, steam, social networks.

We had a great time with DasValdez, Dan learned a couple of tricks from him, Andrea (Badie) is looking forward to invite him and other streamers again! Did you see the stream? Did you like it?

We also want to thank the community for the great response on 1.1 we are very happy with the results.

Kasper (KasperVld) is taking a break from most things KSP: for the near future he’ll be focussing on finishing his master’s thesis, but we hope he’ll  be back soon. In the meantime he’s helping out the team where he still can.

Now that the party is over we are taking sometime to make some VR tests. Nestor (Nestor) is a VR enthusiast and he is very excited to see how those tests will end up looking.

This week’s poetry concludes the devnotes:

Sleep is for the weak

Lack of sleep does weaken me

Thus sleep is for me

That’s it for this week, be sure to join our forums, read our social media and/or partake in the discussions on the KSP Subreddit

Thanks for the Devnotes!

Great to see so many crucial fixes being worked on/completed.

Saw much of the release stream(s).  Enjoyed them a great deal.  Das is a wonderful host.

Hope everything goes well with your thesis, Kasper.  Knock 'em dead!

Happy landings!

Yay!

*Initiating Shakesphere*

"Thoust hast foundest the-est cure for the ailment of ye gigantic navigation sphere!"

*Initiating normal me*

Wow, that failed. :P

On a serious note, thanks for curing gigantic navball syndrome! That was probably the one thing that drove me crazy about this update.

Holy ... , that UI scaling tool looks amazing. Looks like 1.1 is getting even better very soon. :)

But if I may ask, would it be very time consuming to update the asteroid day mod? While I am having a blast with my new career, I´d also like to try my 1.0.5 save in 1.1, and I´ve put the telescope on a lot of ships.

Thx guys :)

wish we had control over where things like the resource tabs are located. where they are now, in that vertical config on the right side is infuriatingly bad. they are in a HORRIBLE place. can we please have some control over this to put them where we like so they do not much with other mods? glad however to see that some ui controls are being restored to us :)

22 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

I sure hope wheels and legs get fixed. Kinda pointless playing until I can safely land again...

^ This. Unusable landing gear and struts that destroy the craft on spawning is a game breaking bug. Who's tasked with fixing it?

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's a Unity issue and it will take time. I don't expect it to be resolved immediately. I just want to know that it is being treated as a priority and that someone is tasked with fixing it.

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

48 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

In 1.0.5 Nathan redid how a vessel’s center of mass was calculated. However, that had not been hooked up to the orbital calculations until now. Nathanael (NathanKell) has finally done so, improving the calculation of gravity so that orbits no longer flicker from vessel rotation. It does show that the PhysX integrator has some issues with velocity at orbital speed so the Apoapsis and Periapsis are not constant when off rails, but the behavior is far better than in 1.1 or 1.0.5.

This excites me. Too bad about wheels, crashes, and Linux.

40 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

So, should we be expecting 1.1.1 this week

"If you follow Ted on Twitter you may have seen that we’re working on a patch for version 1.1, which we’re aiming to release before the week is over."

um did you read the devnote?

Here I am, the only one not excited for VR.  There's basically no support for Mac on it.  I'd be doing so much development for it if it was...

How about them wheels?

@OddFunction I agree. But I think you missed the part where he's already on the payroll. :wink:

@GoSlash27 as @Arsonide has mentioned a few times he's been working on the wheels and has been for a good few months now, and I can certainly say he's been working his heart out and has come up with tons of potential workarounds for Unity issues. We are doing what we can, but you're right that many are not the sort of issues that can be hotfixed away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.