Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

Just now, sarbian said:

Seems? lol.

Yes seems. This is because Claws comment I replied to was originally blunt, until he edited it. this left my reply seeming blunt. So I edited it. my original point does still stand. Thanks for sharing your insight though!

8 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

^ This. Unusable landing gear and struts that destroy the craft on spawning is a game breaking bug. Who's tasked with fixing it?

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's a Unity issue and it will take time. I don't expect it to be resolved immediately. I just want to know that it is being treated as a priority and that someone is tasked with fixing it.

-Slashy

Mucho agreement from me. Perhaps a very rough time frame? If it's going to be months, perhaps enact one of Slashies quick cfg fixes. At least then we can use the legs and wheels.

Edited by Majorjim

58 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Mucho agreement from me. Perhaps a very rough time frame? If it's going to be months, perhaps enact one of Slashies quick cfg fixes. At least then we can use the legs and wheels.

Just set friction to manual override and the value to 0 and you can use them to take off and land. You have to reenable the friction if you want to brake though. Works for me.

Just now, Broco said:

Just set friction to manual override and the value to 0 and you can use them to take off and land. You have to reenable the friction if you want to brake though. Works for me.

Thanks but I am aware of all work arounds at the moment and there are none for some of the more serious issues. Cfg editing seems the only sure way to get wheels and legs working at least for now.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Perhaps a very rough time frame? If it's going to be months, perhaps enact one of Slashies quick cfg fixes. At least then we can use the legs and wheels.

I think that there's an inherent and natural reluctance of giving time frames in the very bones of every coder and technical producer (or any engineer or generic tech-head).

Possibly a natural reaction from Market and possibly even more Community Managers leaning on us to "give us a time frame!" (sometimes with an added expletives and/or slurs about tech-heads natural behaviour:P).

When faced with an issue, even if the issue itself is known and acknowledged, without a solution you know exactly how to implement you naturally don't want to give an estimate on when you'll know it.

But I think we can be sure that they are both working on the issues, looking at possible solutions and picking any brain they think can help solve the issue.

Just now, Curveball Anders said:

I think that there's an inherent and natural reluctance of giving time frames in the very bones of every coder and technical producer (or any engineer or generic tech-head).

Possibly a natural reaction from Market and possibly even more Community Managers leaning on us to "give us a time frame!" (sometimes with an added expletives and/or slurs about tech-heads natural behaviour:P).

When faced with an issue, even if the issue itself is known and acknowledged, without a solution you know exactly how to implement you naturally don't want to give an estimate on when you'll know it.

But I think we can be sure that they are both working on the issues, looking at possible solutions and picking any brain they think can help solve the issue.

I don't doubt it mate. The issue is the bugs are game breaking and all we have heard is, not a quick fix, requires a unity update which is too vague given that those parts are unusable.

28 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Perhaps a very rough time frame? If it's going to be months, perhaps enact one of Slashies quick cfg fixes. At least then we can use the legs and wheels.

They can't answer as neatly as we would like w/o understanding which specific problem we hope is going to get fixed. Some problems may be due to bug X, but in other situations bug Y could be the cause. 

We know that the unity 5.3 update is required for a specific wheel clipping bug (the "wheels blocked" error is a work around,) but other aspects of wheel and landing leg problems could certainly be addressed on the current platform. All we can do is trust that they are working the problem, and report back what (if any) aspects of wheels or landing legs are still not working well, when the new patch is dropped.

I would like to echo ShadowZone over specific bug 7593; a rotation offset change to LT-1 and LT-2 gear makes it hard to place them on the side of long parts like girders and I-beams.

And planted flags from v1.05 saves may not be attached to the ground on physics load into v1.1. Saw that one last night :wink: 

12 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Curveball Anders,
 Yeah, ain't that the truth! Can't give an estimate if you have no idea how long it'll take. Somewhere between tomorrow and never *shrug*. It'll be fixed when it's fixed.

Most accurate answer they can give is "we're working on it".

Best,
-Slashy

Just now, basic.syntax said:

bug 7593; a rotation offset change to LT-1 and LT-2 gear

Agreed on that bug. Rotate fixes it but it is annoying. Also agreed that they are working hard and only time will tell how long we will have to wait to be able to use those parts.

@GoSlash27 , your .cfg file fix seems to have worked for me......my landing legs seem to work correctly now and I have confidence in landing again in 1.1. Just made this little lander straight off the launchpad.......before, the legs dug in and caused problems.......now, solid landings :) Thankyou :)

33ol0e9.png

Edited by maceemiller

23 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Squad employee in 3, 2, 1

Agreed.....I dont know what he did @SQUAD, but Ive just been using that very lander which had 1,400+ m/s left as shown in the picture and ive been taking off from where i landed and smashing it into the ground and the legs have not failed me at any (reasonable) speed of touchdown. I am 100% confident of these legs now.......1.1 for me has just begun, thanks to @GoSlash27

Edited by maceemiller

Another example of squad being at the mercy of Unity. So I'm curious are these deep seated root problems being reported to unity staff? And if so do they address them and make any corrections? Or do they just make people wait until another unity update ?

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

maceemiller,

Glad to hear it!

Now if somebody knows how to use MM, perhaps we can post this as a temporary fix in the mod thread...

Best,
-Slashy

Ask and ye shall receive. I ran a diff of your configs and the stock ones, and wrote a Module Manager patch

Word of warning - haven't actually tested this. So if somebody can confirm it seems to be working ok (preferably somebody using stock configs) - I'll post it in the mod section.

Interestingly, I found in GearFree, a line was missing from the stock one: suspensionOffset - now as it was defaulted to 0 anyway, I wonder if that's why it wasn't there,

It made me do a double take, I even verified my game cache, to ensure it wasn't me, but that line is definitely missing from the stock config..

Edited by severedsolo

Will the SPH/VAB texture bug for MacBooks be cured?

on a lesser note- wheels and landing gear. How are they coming. 
*Small retractable landing gear not exploding on takeoff fix?
*rover wheel clippable again?

Edited by War Eagle 1

All,

I just got word back from Arsonide. The landing gear bug looks like it'll be fixed for real in the hot fix, so there'll be no reason to incorporate the strut changes.

The gear fix, OTOH, behaves a lot better than the stock gear, so most of the .cfg changes should make their way into the hot fix.

My read is that this issue should be solved by the patch. In the meantime, we have workable .cfg edits to run with.

Best,
-Slashy 

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

All,

I just got word back from Arsonide. The landing gear bug looks like it'll be fixed for real in the hot fix, so there'll be no reason to incorporate the strut changes.

The gear fix, OTOH, behaves a lot better than the stock gear, so most of the .cfg changes should make their way into the hot fix.

My read is that this issue should be solved by the patch. In the meantime, we have workable .cfg edits to run with.

Best,
-Slashy 

Glad to hear this mate. As long as the legs behave as they did in 1.05 then all will be well.

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In 1.0.5 Nathan redid how a vessel’s center of mass was calculated. However, that had not been hooked up to the orbital calculations until now. Nathanael (NathanKell) has finally done so, improving the calculation of gravity so that orbits no longer flicker from vessel rotation.

So glad to hear this long-standing issue is finally being addressed. The other things are great but it's all new stuff from 1.1 and sort of expected to be addressed in a hotfix, seeing years-old stuff getting hit as well warms my heart.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to the staff @SQUAD! I've read every post in this edition of the Dev Notes; without repeating what everyone has already said. It is nice to be a part of a gaming community where the game developers are so responsive to complaints, gripes, and moans from those of us players.

3 hours ago, Redneck said:

Another example of squad being at the mercy of Unity. So I'm curious are these deep seated root problems being reported to unity staff? And if so do they address them and make any corrections? Or do they just make people wait until another unity update ?

Every developer who decides to base their product on an engine, or a couple of libs, or an IDE or a 'code generator' (trust me, they was very popular for a while) will always end up in "why doesn't this tool allow me to do this ...."

Everyone knows that the best and most efficient code will always be written by  a hero-coder in bare-metal machine code (can't trust assembler, they translate labels and often object on when you optimise by altering code on stack :mad: ).

So everyone who doesn't develop in bare metal will be at the mercy of their selected tool's makers.

(Actually, even bare metal hero-coders are known to complain over bad chip design).

I keep a neutral stance when placing blames. I worked on both sides (in a literal sense, not Unity nor Squad).

I'll venture a guess and say that as a somewhat high profile customer as Squad probably is to Unity, they will get quite some response and help.

Edited by Curveball Anders
style

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.