Create custom orbital targets at mission control

At the moment, players can take contracts to get satellites etc into exacting orbits/inclinations, and this creates (in the map view) a visible orbital reference with tolerances for AP, PE and inclination

And it would be useful if players could use the mission control at KSC to plan missions similarly utilising the same system, being able to create an orbital target like the current contracts provide to get spacing, altitude, inclinations etc spot on

I definitely support this, add some support for ground targets as well. It's impossible to see the KSC from orbit, let alone, land on it without any navigational reference.

Figuring out the exact numbers for an orbit is almost impossible if you want to do everything by hand. I'm sure I can hit a 100x100km circular orbit from the pad, but there is no way I can do that with absolutely zero inclination. Having a "target orbit" at the correct position would allow you to correct your inclination by using the AN/DN nodes.

A similar mechanism would be to have a "flight director" on the navball that you can set to a numeric heading/pitch/roll value and that the SAS can follow, so you can fly by the numbers without having to resort to a big autopilot system like MechJeb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.