Windows 64bit (FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE DON'T MERGE)

Andem

How does the official Win64 bit version compare to the old community hack?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which crashes more often for you?

• Hack
    • Official

So I've been running the hack basically as soon as I installed my first mod. It ran beautifully, and It never crashed on me.

Now, trying the official 64bit version of KSP, the game crashes every few hours or so. So what do you think?

Oh, and I IMPLORE YOU to not merge this into the 1.1 discussion thread, because it's an undecipherable mess after all the threads were merged.

Community hack was unplayable for me - building upgrade bug hit me immediately. Real 64-bit version though? Works without a hitch. It crashed only once so far, and it was my own fault because i messed with part clipping too much.

35 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Community hack was unplayable for me - building upgrade bug hit me immediately. Real 64-bit version though? Works without a hitch. It crashed only once so far, and it was my own fault because i messed with part clipping too much.

Huh. Are you running it thru Steam or the Store?

Store. It really works as advertised :) Fast, smooth and stable - even with 4 gigabytes of mods in Gamedata folder :D Including eyecandy like Scatterer, EVE etc. - which slowed my game to a crawl and made it crash frequently in previous versions.

Edited by Scotius

So far I've experienced no crashes running the official 1.1 64bit.

The only serious issue I've run into is a pretty infrequent stalling of the game, usually for about 5 seconds, which has occurred on three occasions (although multiple stalls per occasion) in the past week. On two of those occasions this occurred during re-entry.

Edited by purpleivan

The old one had more crashes as far as I can tell, but that may be because my old install was a monster that I had modded to [bad underground flamey torture place] and back at least three times. Don't worry, my new install is getting there...

Well, I discoverd that I had the Dev version of BD Armory installed, so I installed the latest official version. Unfortunately, this only increased the time between crashes by around 30 minutes.

--EDIT--

Great, now the game crashes whenever I'm in the editor. Whoo.

Edited by Andem

15 hours ago, Andem said:

Well, I discoverd that I had the Dev version of BD Armory installed, so I installed the latest official version. Unfortunately, this only increased the time between crashes by around 30 minutes.

--EDIT--

Great, now the game crashes whenever I'm in the editor. Whoo.

How many mods? I started getting this at about the 90 mod mark in 32-bit, and then at 100+ mods in 64-bit

On 4/29/2016 at 11:18 AM, RocketSquid said:

How many mods? I started getting this at about the 90 mod mark in 32-bit, and then at 100+ mods in 64-bit

80-90 mods. 64bit.

2 hours ago, Andem said:

80-90 mods. 64bit.

Okay, I'd place that on the ragged edge of where KSP stops actually running normally and just decides to give you a massive middle finger in the form of crashing whenever you try to do anything.

The only things I can think of are to only keep mods you actually use, and to get DTL if you don't already have it.

On 28.4.2016 at 11:38 PM, Scotius said:

The 64bit workaround never crashed on me, and I ran enough mods to push the RAM usage well above 7 GB. The official 64 bit build, on the other hand, crashes frequently even if I don't install any mods. The first time I tried it I managed to play for maybe an hour tops before it crashed.

I didn't use the workaround much, but it sure had a few really nasty bugs that the official 64 bit doesn't have anymore. It never crashed for me though, as far as I remember. Neither did the official 64 bit version, apart from one in the pre-release and 2 caused by mods.

Edited by WWEdeadman

Ok, NOW the game is CTD whenever I'm in the editor for more than 10 seconds, with only 20 mods.

:mad:

--EDIT--

Oh, and It doesn't give me an output.log to check, either.

Edited by Andem

although the official has 5x the frame rate , I get 3 times more crashes than the workaround. I dont know weather to chalk it up as you cant have you cake and eat it too , or maybe the fact the official should actually perform with re-guards to a 40$ price tag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.