Patcher doesn't seem to be working

I just tried using the official patcher tool to update my KSP install to 1.1.1, but it, well, didn't seem to have done anything. When I ran it, the patcher did its thing like it was supposed to, but on the menu screen of KSP and in the KSP.log, it still displays the version as 1.1.0. Am I using the patcher wrong?

When I tried updating 1.1 I got to the password stage at which point it told me my email/password didn't match - signed on to KSP store with same email/password and downloaded 1.1.1

Note - tried the password/email four or five times - no luck. Using a password manager with copy paste so shouldn't be a typo on my part.

I'm running on Linux. When I pressed the "Update" button, a new patcher.tar.gz was downloaded. Unfortunately, the launcher freezes and stops redrawing the window. It also looks like the Launcher fails to extract the patcher. Manually extracting and running the patcher simply hangs.

Edit: If you give it long enough it pops up a username/password dialog which seems to work.

Edited by GarrettKajmowicz

15 hours ago, wasml said:

When I tried updating 1.1 I got to the password stage at which point it told me my email/password didn't match - signed on to KSP store with same email/password and downloaded 1.1.1

Do you have any special characters in your password?

10 hours ago, GarrettKajmowicz said:

It also looks like the Launcher fails to extract the patcher.

Bug reported, should be a simple fix. Other than this small gremlin, and the launcher playing window geometry roulette on startup, the patcher is indeed working again. :)

Edited by steve_v
Bold font? I didn't ask for that.

How is it supposed to work, anyway? I have the zip file from the store sitting in a directory, I run the launcher, click Patch, it asks for my username and password, then the window turns gray and sits there until I get bored and close it (no network or disk activity from patcher.exe). Then a bunch of stuff scrolls by in a command window. At this point, the buttons in the launcher are still unclickable, and re-starting the launcher still shows that it needs an upgrade. The patcher has never actually worked for me, and I don't know if there's something non-obvious that I'm doing wrong?

On 29-4-2016 at 4:21 AM, FullMetalMachinist said:

Yeah, you're trying using it. 

Patcher has been broken for ages. You have to re-download the whole game again from wherever you bought it (Steam being an exception, it'll download the update for you). 

Absolutely correct.
It makes one wonder why that piece of dog faeces is still part of the game. Easiest and quickest solution is to simply get rid of it.

It's not working, the patcher is connecting to the domain of my e-mail address. Squad has probably NEVER tested it outside of their own site. How poor, this is like 1000 times simpler app to make than the game itself, and they can't even get this right. I'm just so fed up with all the issues, a never ending story.

AFAICT the patcher we have now is exactly the same patcher we used to have, somebody just put the rsync server back up. I see no evidence the patcher itself has been updated. Am I surprised there are bugs, not at all.

The log still states: "[CRITICAL]: ** PLEASE NOTE THAT LINUX SUPPORT WAS A LAST-MINUTE BOLT-ON.  REPORT ANY AND ALL BUGS.  PLEASE.  I LIKE MY JOB. **" :confused: F.F.S.

It certainly managed to bork (corrupted files) 2 separate 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 updates for me. I have heard anecdotal evidence that it has actually reverted some peoples installs to 1.0.5.

I'm pleased it's been resurrected, but like any software left to rust and get out of sync with the main project I expect it needs some work.

Edited by steve_v

@steve_v Changed to a password without special characters and the updater was able to log on. Of course then rsync failed and the updater declared "KSP was patched successfully". From your above post it sounds like a full download is still the way to go.

Thanks for the pointer to the cause of the password problem and the other info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.