[SFS-C1] Space Fighter Superiority Championship 1

vRS6GtL.jpg?1

Space Fighter Superiority Championship 1

Are you an engineer? You like Fighting? Is space your thing?

If yes, do this challenge.

All fighters will be tested in air, in high Kerbin orbit, and on the Mun. There will be separate rankings for each category. This will be a 1v1 fight only. BD Autopilot will be used to steer the craft.

Rules:

• BD Armory must be installed.
  • Each craft must have a weapons manager and an AI pilot.
  • The craft must have at least 500m/s of delta-v when in orbit.
  • Must be able to dock with 1.25m docking ports.
  • Must have at least 1/6TWR.
  • NO TURRETS. Period.

Mods allowed:

• A round won                                                +100pt
  • A round lost                                                   +25pt
  • Parts lost (does not include missiles)             -10pt/part
  • Weapon                                                            -5pt/weapon
  • SSTO capability                                           +100pt
  • Atmospheric champion                                +500pt
  • Orbital champion                                         +500pt
  • Mun champion                                             +500pt
  • Overall champion                                       +1000pt

Atmospheric Championship: Just a standard 1v1 dogfight in atmosphere. All contestants will be tested here. Every spacecraft must be space capable.

Orbital Championship: The two contestants will start 100m from each other, with their engines off, and RCS on. First to destroy the other's AI or Weapons Manager wins. All contestants will be tested here.

Mun championship: Engines and RCS active, engines only at 25% thrust limit, unless the craft is only able to lift off from the Mun. All contestants will be tested here.

Final championship: The two craft will be on the almost same orbit going in opposite directions. Physics load range will be set to 22km. Once in range, contestants can fire away. It will be a 2v2 fight. Two of one kind, going in the same direction, and the other two finalists against them.

Only 2 people will get the badge above, the final winner will get a special one.

Edited by KSP Bro AE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the BD AI can handle space combat. It won't fly properly, and no weapons except lasers will target properly. Perhaps you could run the challenge in atmosphere, but make space capability a requirement or something?

17 hours ago, Doke said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the BD AI can handle space combat. It won't fly properly, and no weapons except lasers will target properly. Perhaps you could run the challenge in atmosphere, but make space capability a requirement or something?

I've tried this. The most insurmountable problem is that BDA AI assumes yaw stability in certain situations. Since the concept of yaw stability doesn't even apply to space fighters, the only way to do space fighters right now is KOS or KRPC and program them yourself.

Additionally. If BDA AI did work, it would almost certainly behave suboptimally. For example, it would probably not understand to point 90 degrees off axis in order to dodge gunfire or missiles.

Edited by Pds314

22 hours ago, Doke said:

I didn't finish the description of the challenge check back to see how orbital and Mun will be done.

15 hours ago, KSP Bro AE said:

I didn't finish the description of the challenge check back to see how orbital and Mun will be done.

The problem is that the ships will wander drunkenly around in space, yawing with no control. The only way to make a viable space fighter in BDA AI would be to make sure the ship is constantly rolling slowly so that whenever it does something stupid in terms of yaw, it will correct it when that axis becomes pitch. The problem would be keeping the roll rate sane, and of course getting any sort of sustained maneuver rather than sudden bouts of acceleration every half second or so.

Edited by Pds314

10 hours ago, Pds314 said:

The problem is that the ships will wander drunkenly around in space, yawing with no control. The only way to make a viable space fighter in BDA AI would be to make sure the ship is constantly rolling slowly so that whenever it does something stupid in terms of yaw, it will correct it when that axis becomes pitch. The problem would be keeping the roll rate sane, and of course getting any sort of sustained maneuver rather than sudden bouts of acceleration every half second or so.

?

Some kind of space fighter challenge does sound like fun, with or without an AI combat element, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

18 hours ago, Doke said:

Some kind of space fighter challenge does sound like fun, with or without an AI combat element, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

What I come up with?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.